Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

Is the Nelson a good credit-grinder?

Is the Nelson a good credit-grinder?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find Nelson(Tier VII Free XP British BB) in your experience to be a good ship for grinding credits, if you don't have a Tier VIII+ Premium ship

2. 2. Is Nelson an enjoyable ship to main?

30 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
224 posts
4,773 battles

Keep in mind that the Nelson got thick side armor but only a 25mm bow which mean anything like a Nagato or Colorado and above will overmatch it and overall its not that enjoyable.

However you get the gunz: Insane HE performance, very accurate, sublime gun placement on the hull allowing all of them to face where you want at all time and a superheal.

Shoot HE ( dont feel bad in that ship since its made of paper you will get cit eventually) and farm damage, equip all the camo and flags related to economics and reap the rewards, i did get 1 mil games in that thing, ok they were really good games but 1 mil game in a tier 7 its not to overlook.

[FML]
Members
2,876 posts
12,794 battles
4 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

I have too many ships to grind to save up Free XP and get Musashi. Besides, I don't really want her anyway. With that said, Scharnhorst is simply NOT delivering for me, and I think it's the caliber of the guns, as well as the shift back to a long-range meta.

Sometimes you don’t mesh with ships, but seriously the meta is not against the Scharnhorst. Seriously consider changing your play style to match the ship - it is a well armoured cruiser with torps. Shoot at DDs, even with AP, whenever you see them. Look for lonely and exposed battleships to chase down and torp. Don’t drive alone; work with your teammates. When bottom tier, hang further back and spray HE on battleships to tax their DCP, or make fires that stick.

The lessons you learn from Scharnhorst will keep you alive longer in the Nelson. Nelson needs to be closer to the enemy than IJN or USN BBs to be effective - but it can’t accelerate or turn so you eat torps and Citadels if you are poorly positioned and lack awareness of the flow of battle. Scharnhorst teaches you that flow; how to read it, and how to change it. 

Seriously, Scharnhorst isn’t the problem - I am worried that you’ll spend your precious free XP on Nelson only to face the same problems. I’m happy to division with you and help you learn either ship if you want (I’ll be on in about 7 hours from now). 

[RLGN]
Members
11,294 posts
20,306 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's a typical Premium Ship in terms of earnings.  The only Premium Ships with above average credit earnings are:

Missouri with her built-in money printer.  No longer available for purchase.

The Makoto Kobayashi-camo'd ships, Ashitaka, Roma, Kii.  Even then, these were additional purchases after buying the ship to begin with.

Everyone else has to use some special consumable camo, signal flags for higher credit earnings.  Nelson doesn't feature anything out of the ordinary as far as camo and Premiums go to make her a better credit ship than others.

Typical or not, I just like it.

Maybe because of all my games in Dunkerque? (Haven’t played Izumi.)

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,208 posts
4,772 battles
5 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

I already knew that. But the same goes to Arizona. It's not about their earnings, it's about how easy with a little bit of skill it is to FARM MEDALS and EXCELLENT GAMES.  The whole point of a main is to play it a TON.

if youre just looking for a low skill floor ships, it'll do, just spam HE.

kronstadt would also suit this role well, minus the HE part.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
15 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Sometimes you don’t mesh with ships, but seriously the meta is not against the Scharnhorst. Seriously consider changing your play style to match the ship - it is a well armoured cruiser with torps. Shoot at DDs, even with AP, whenever you see them. Look for lonely and exposed battleships to chase down and torp. Don’t drive alone; work with your teammates. When bottom tier, hang further back and spray HE on battleships to tax their DCP, or make fires that stick.

The lessons you learn from Scharnhorst will keep you alive longer in the Nelson. Nelson needs to be closer to the enemy than IJN or USN BBs to be effective - but it can’t accelerate or turn so you eat torps and Citadels if you are poorly positioned and lack awareness of the flow of battle. Scharnhorst teaches you that flow; how to read it, and how to change it. 

Seriously, Scharnhorst isn’t the problem - I am worried that you’ll spend your precious free XP on Nelson only to face the same problems. I’m happy to division with you and help you learn either ship if you want (I’ll be on in about 7 hours from now). 

I play a variety of BBs, including IJN, USN, KMS, French,(they didn't have a identifying prefix before the names of their ships) and now Guilo Cesare. Sometimes I occasionally potato position, but it's a rare thing.

I know how to read the flow of battle, by the way, as well. It's something that playing my DDs has taught me. It's something I'm still not perfect in in my Cruisers,(between less-than-Unicum positioning by me and potato teams, I rarely get the chance to enjoy the fruit of my labors even when I DON'T screw up my positioning.) but I'm learning over time.

My BBs however, I think I tend to over-extend quite often in my BCs/ Fast Battleships,  but that's an issue that is FAR rarer in my slower BBs. I am currently on Fuso right now, and I'm starting to get very used to her(and Nelson's) combination of-a-bit-faster-than-USN-Standard speed and a large, easy-to-hit citadel. I'm at present learning the perfect angle to bounce overmatching caliber shells, but that will have to be relearned for Nelson.

Anyway, don't bother trying to teach me Nelson yet, I don't own her at present, and it's something I'm still pondering. I want her as much for historical reasons as I do gameplay reasons, so regardless, I will want to get her sometime with in the next 6 months.

As I said, I'm getting into a lot of matches where no enemy will let me (or anyone else on my team, for that matter) get closer than 10-11 km, and I'm also having a hard time getting Scharnhorst's low-caliber(for a BB) AP to work.

Sign in to follow this