Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

Is the Nelson a good credit-grinder?

Is the Nelson a good credit-grinder?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find Nelson(Tier VII Free XP British BB) in your experience to be a good ship for grinding credits, if you don't have a Tier VIII+ Premium ship

2. 2. Is Nelson an enjoyable ship to main?

30 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles

I've been wondering something: I have enough(far and away enough, in fact, I almost have enough to buy Musashi, but I don't want Musashi because I've never even played a Tier VIII, let alone a Tier IX, before) elite ship xp to be converted to free xp to buy Nelson.(I also have Jack Dunkirk to put in her)

But, if I buy her,(read, buy doubloons to convert said elite ship xp to Free XP) I need to know something, before I make up my mind. Is Nelson good at credit grinding? Because I am running somewhat low on Credits, and I need a new main. I'm at this point getting a little weary of my old main, AZ, because I've played her more than any other ship, and she simply isn't making enough credits fast enough now that I'm at Tier VI in so many lines. I only have two Tier VIIs at present, and neither of them are good mains for me. I can't seem to get Myoko to perform for me, and the meta has shifted away from the small-caliber, fast reload, brawling meta that made Scharnhorst once so OP.(I am as not good in her as I should be, either.)

Also, is Nelson a fun ship to main?

Please answer in my poll, and comments and advice are appreciated. I thank you in advance for your help.

- Regards, Legoboy0401

Edited by legoboy0401

[HINON]
Supertester
21,375 posts
15,080 battles

Is it a good credit grinder? Compared to what? Compared to not having a high tier premium? Yeah. Very much so. Compared to Missouri, Musashi, Kronshtadt or any of the T8 premiums? No. Also, credit income depends on how well you do in her.

Is she fun to play? Well, I think so. Some people don't agree. It depends on how much you enjoy slow-ish battleships that require smart play and proper angling to do well in.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Is it a good credit grinder? Compared to what? Compared to not having a high tier premium? Yeah. Very much so. Compared to Missouri, Musashi, Kronshtadt or any of the T8 premiums? No. Also, credit income depends on how well you do in her.

Is she fun to play? Well, I think so. Some people don't agree. It depends on how much you enjoy slow-ish battleships that require smart play and proper angling to do well in.

I've main'd Arizona, and Bayern will be a keeper for me. That in itself should tell you how much I enjoy slow-ish battleships that require smart play and proper angling to do well in.

Edited by legoboy0401

[HINON]
Supertester
21,375 posts
15,080 battles

Well then, question answered?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,833 posts
12,596 battles

If you are limiting your self to Tier 7 then yah sure. I think Scharnhorst would be better but Nelson is a fun ship so go for it. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,327 posts
19,716 battles

It's a typical Premium Ship in terms of earnings.  The only Premium Ships with above average credit earnings are:

Missouri with her built-in money printer.  No longer available for purchase.

The Makoto Kobayashi-camo'd ships, Ashitaka, Roma, Kii.  Even then, these were additional purchases after buying the ship to begin with.

Everyone else has to use some special consumable camo, signal flags for higher credit earnings.  Nelson doesn't feature anything out of the ordinary as far as camo and Premiums go to make her a better credit ship than others.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
Just now, paradat said:

If you are limiting your self to Tier 7 then yah sure. I think Scharnhorst would be better but Nelson is a fun ship so go for it. 

As I said, Scharnhorst is not a suitable Tier VII main for me. She's too fickle in performance because of how the meta has changed and shifted away from brawling, so many games go by before I get 1 or 2 where I can get within brawling range. Besides, I'm not too great with her anyway.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,833 posts
12,596 battles
3 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

As I said, Scharnhorst is not a suitable Tier VII main for me. She's too fickle in performance because of how the meta has changed and shifted away from brawling, so many games go by before I get 1 or 2 where I can get within brawling range. Besides, I'm not too great with her anyway.

Sorry missed that in your opp. I have never heard any one call the Scharnhorst "fickle in performance". She is very dynamic she can brawl but her fast reload and speed means she never has too. In a head to head she will tare up a Nelson. Having said that Nelson is fun but she is definitely not a brawler. She is a fragile bow tanking fire breathing dragon with a great heal.... but do not get flanked lol.

Lots of bow tanking and reversing with some Island hugging. 

Scharnhorst is an open water terror of a ship that can deal with a variety of targets and does just fine when bottom tier.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,873 posts
12,794 battles
7 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

I have found the Nelson to grind credits pretty well (even better at Dreadnaught medals); however, as you’ve already got a T7 BB then I think you should save up your free XP for a T9 ship. 

Instead, ask for help on how to play the Scharnhorst. I haven’t had any problems with her, and I have no idea what you mean by the meta no longer favouring her, and I think if you aren’t doing well with the Scharnhorst then you’ll get your bum kicked in the Nelson as it is far less protected and can often eat citadels. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's a typical Premium Ship in terms of earnings.  The only Premium Ships with above average credit earnings are:

Missouri with her built-in money printer.  No longer available for purchase.

The Makoto Kobayashi-camo'd ships, Ashitaka, Roma, Kii.  Even then, these were additional purchases after buying the ship to begin with.

Everyone else has to use some special consumable camo, signal flags for higher credit earnings.  Nelson doesn't feature anything out of the ordinary as far as camo and Premiums go to make her a better credit ship than others.

I already knew that. But the same goes to Arizona. It's not about their earnings, it's about how easy with a little bit of skill it is to FARM MEDALS and EXCELLENT GAMES.  The whole point of a main is to play it a TON.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I have found the Nelson to grind credits pretty well (even better at Dreadnaught medals); however, as you’ve already got a T7 BB then I think you should save up your free XP for a T9 ship. 

Instead, ask for help on how to play the Scharnhorst. I haven’t had any problems with her, and I have no idea what you mean by the meta no longer favouring her, and I think if you aren’t doing well with the Scharnhorst then you’ll get your bum kicked in the Nelson as it is far less protected and can often eat citadels. 

She's not good at range is all, and I find myself more often than not not able to get close.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,833 posts
12,596 battles
1 minute ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I have found the Nelson to grinds credits pretty well (even better at Dreadnaught medals); however, as you’ve already got a T7 BB then I think you should save up your free do for a T9 ship. 

Instead, as for help on how to play the Scharnhorst. I haven’t had any problems with her, and I have no idea what you mean by the meta no longer favouring her, and I think if you aren’t doing well with the Scharnhorst then you’ll get you bum kicked in the Nelson as it is far less protected and can often eat citadels. 

Yeah this is probably true ^^^

I do like Nelson but she does require a lot of tactical application. In my opinion she is not nearly as user friendly has Scharnhorst.

I would also recommend you forget about your fears and just go for tier 8 prem. I Credit grinding is your goal then go grind some credits! The get the Tirpitz or Musashi.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

Yeah this is probably true ^^^

I do like Nelson but she does require a lot of tactical application. In my opinion she is not nearly as user friendly has Scharnhorst.

I would also recommend you forget about your fears and just go for tier 8 prem. I Credit grinding is your goal then go grind some credits! The get the Tirpitz or Musashi.

Out of the question. They are out of my price range.:Smile_sad:

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,833 posts
12,596 battles
3 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Out of the question. They are out of my price range.:Smile_sad:

Ah OK. I would save up then. You have ships now that are in the range of Nelson. Go for a free Musashi. In the meantime work on your Scharnhorst skills. Check out youtuber videos on the ship.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
Just now, paradat said:

Ah OK. I would save up then. You have ships now that are in the range of Nelson. Go for a free Musashi.

Don't have a job at present. Maybe next year, but not yet.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,833 posts
12,596 battles
Just now, legoboy0401 said:

Don't have a job at present. Maybe next year, but not yet.

I mean save Free XP no money required. You have in my opinion the best tier 7 BB already. 

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
2 minutes ago, paradat said:

I mean save Free XP no money required. You have in my opinion the best tier 7 BB already. 

I have too many ships to grind to save up Free XP and get Musashi. Besides, I don't really want her anyway. With that said, Scharnhorst is simply NOT delivering for me, and I think it's the caliber of the guns, as well as the shift back to a long-range meta.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

Have the Nelson.  Love the Nelson.

Most of my games are in DDs and CVs but I try to get at least one game a day in with my Nelson since my only 19 point captain is my Fiji Captain...With flags a good game yields 25k elite EXP.  I don’t really pay much attention to credits, but with flags, a win, and an amazing game I was able to net $600,000 once.

It’s kind of a dummy mode ship though - shoot HE most of the time, point nose forward, let it burn, and just hurt stuff.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,833 posts
12,596 battles
Just now, legoboy0401 said:

I have too many ships to grind to save up Free XP and get Musashi. Besides, I don't really want her anyway. With that said, Scharnhorst is simply NOT delivering for me, and I think it's the caliber of the guns, as well as the shift back to a long-range meta.

Well that might be your main problem then. Slow down do not use Free XP in normal line. 

or

Go ahead with Nelson.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

Well that might be your main problem then. Slow down do not use Free XP in normal line. 

or

Go ahead with Nelson.

I hate stock modules. For BBs and DDs especially, stock modules are awful. I consider skipping them if at all possible not an optional endeavor. 

I probably will get Nelson if possible, probably because there is no Free XP Tier VIII.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,833 posts
12,596 battles
2 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

I hate stock modules. For BBs and DDs especially, stock modules are awful. I consider skipping them if at all possible not an optional endeavor. 

I probably will get Nelson if possible, probably because there is no Free XP Tier VIII.

OK 

Well good luck to you.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,760 posts
18,208 battles

Credits follow damage AND Nelson is one of the hardest hitting T7 BBs.  Learn to play her and you'll do fine.  That said, i am kinda surprised you don't like the Shiney Horse but some ships don't click with some people.  No worries.

[TBW]
Members
8,044 posts
14,668 battles

Use her in tier 7 scenarios with signals to make credits. I prefer cruisers in the scenarios myself, but Nelson does well in them. If you want to grind for credits, Scenarios/Operations is where to go. Some scenarios are better than others of course, so it's nice to find people that are playing, so you can run any one you want and of course rarely fail the missions.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Sign in to follow this