Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Thanks WG for the Okhotnik!

14 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
274 posts
11,685 battles

Last night I received a supercrate with a Okhotnik in it.  While I'm not a DD main I played her in a couple of Co-op matches this morning.  She seems like a really good ship and I suppose I'll have to work on my DD play so I can GIT GOOD in her.  

I read LWM's review on her but does anybody have any pointers in addition to that on how to play her?

Thanks again WG for the present!

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
5,242 posts
11,993 battles

Okhotnik is a unique animal.  Nice stealth.  Great guns, and at her tier you can wreck other DD's.  The torps are short range, but if anything does get in range you can flood the seas with torps.  Loooooooooooooong for a destroyer, so don't sit all comfy in smoke when broadside to reds or you will soak up the torpedoes.  She looks ridiculous, but can either be tons of fun to play or quite frustrating to play...depends on how patient you are.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,453 posts
4,940 battles

Grats on the drop!

As for the Okhotnik, he was the first premium I bought the moment it returned to the tech tree for doubloons. LWMs guide has most of what you will need but as an addition keep in mind the following.

First, don't be afraid of using AP. Versus Cruisers starting from 6-7km it can devastate most Tier Vs.

Secondly, terrain is the great equalizer when torping, surprise attacks work very well with him

Finally, 130mm HE can overmatch 22mm of armor.  19-21mm  iirc happens to be the bow and aft of many Battleships at that tier, so shooting there can have surprisingly good results.

Hope you have as much fun in the party viking longboat as I do :cat_cool:.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,700 posts
12,458 battles

@warheart1992 is on the money. 

In summary:

1) Ambush from around islands

2) Execute DDs in gun battles

3) Remember you can’t turn, so dodging torps is very hard - plan well in advance. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
848 posts
7,798 battles

Nice little pick-up. Great guns to destroy other DDs or ruin cruisers or battleboats.

When you get to ambush anything with those torps though, that is when you smile. It obliterates anything.

[S0L0]
Members
1,238 posts
6,298 battles

My preferred prey is cruisers. Load AP, sneak right up alongside them and start blasting their citadel from 6 km or so. If they start chase, smoke, fire 2 launchers of torpedoes and GTFO. The fish don't have the range to hit from that distance, but if someone is charging you, you can often get them to sail into your pattern.

If you are in a radar game, pretend you are a Khab. Set back near your max range and just start hammering something with HE.

Just don't let yourself get into a turning fight, or too close to anything with torps.

TOG-boat don't dance...

Matt

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Pretty much what everybody else has said.  You will also find quite a few battleship drivers at these tiers who through either misplaced aggression or lack of awareness will charge you in your smoke...not only will your flood of torpedoes ruin their day, on the off chance that they somehow dodge them all you'll have them reloaded by the time they actually get within (smoke) detection range of you. :Smile_teethhappy:

Fear and respect the torpedo bomber.  They are your greatest weakness, even without manual drops.

[4HIM]
Members
2,431 posts
7,718 battles

It's a great bote.  If I'm having a bad day, I'll load into a PvE game.  Get one of the bot BB's to shoot at you and then CHARGE hard.  Bum rush it and torp it in the face.  Sometimes you die to secondaries, but it is fun as all get out.  But beware.  Being so long it turns like a BB.  So you need to be a Yuro level Jedi Master of torpedo beats to avoid torps.  In PvP, a CV will munch on you.  If you're cross dropped, just be ready to go into the next battle.  

The guns will murder just about any DD you'll see.  The US and RU DD's only think they're 'gunboats'.  Get all the guns on this thing lined up and just say "You think so huh?"

And this ship is why I wanted Vulgarr to win the Ring.  He'd be the perfect Ohotnik captain.  

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,049 posts
3 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Last night I received a supercrate with a Okhotnik in it.  While I'm not a DD main I played her in a couple of Co-op matches this morning.  She seems like a really good ship and I suppose I'll have to work on my DD play so I can GIT GOOD in her.  

I read LWM's review on her but does anybody have any pointers in addition to that on how to play her?

Congrats on your supercontainer. I played the Okhotnik back when I got it as a free trial loaner. It's one of the very few ships that I've ever had 100% wins in. It's a lot better for some reason than its stats would suggest. I had a lot of luck smoking up or hiding behind islands and waiting for unwary ships to enter my torp range. If a DD or cruiser surprised me, I'd surprise them back by my high rate of fire and The Needle's ability to rush a ship and hardly receive a shell hit. I call it The Needle because if you are straight on to a ship they can hardly see you or get a shell to hit you, you are that thin. Even sideways the Othotnik is hard to hit (except by torps).

Edited by Snargfargle

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
274 posts
11,685 battles

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.  I'll play it in co-op for awhile to get my feet on the ground and then see what she'll do in PvP.   Hopefully the bot CVs won't be able to cross drop me @zardoz_II.  LOL!

Members
382 posts
72 battles
9 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

My favourite tactic is to try and position myself in front of pushing BBs (usually have to kill a DD before) then you smoke up and just sit there without firering on the BBs so they dont get a heads up that you are there (most BB players are tunnelvisioning in zoomed in mode until someone starts to dakka dakka them, then they look up, spot your smoke and start to take evasive actions). Then you start to stack floods on all the BBs with youre 5 torp launchers that reload fast. Once in a game i managed to get floods, force repair and get new perma floods on 3 seperate BBs pushing my smoke while receiving small amount of damage to my ship.

Its pretty much the Flood-Master!

And good luck to CQB enemy DD to dodge those 5 sets of torps when he tries to rush you in your smoke, and then just let your guns go to work.

Sign in to follow this