Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Seaneroo

"Human" Bots?

17 comments in this topic

[A_51]
Members
382 posts
14,039 battles

I saw a strange phenomenon twice today in Co-Op games that I never noticed before.  In two higher-tier games, a friendly BB did a long, looping cruise to the northernmost cap in a three-cap map.  It then did a long, slow loop in the cap and then took a similar course back south.  In both games, the route looked to be exactly the same.  They continued on their course once they met enemy ships, never changing course to adjust to the enemy.  They did fire their guns, however, when the enemy came in range.  In both games, the BB seemed to be on a pre-programmed course with no small adjustments or changes in direction that one would expect.  Neither "player" ever responded to in-game chat.  Both games resulted in losses because the BBs were out of play for most of the game.  The whole thing gave me the impression that no human was controlling these ships.  The player names were not bot names, and there was no colon next to the names.   Are people hacking the game using bots to play on their accounts?  Is WG doing anything to stop this?

Edited by Seaneroo

[A_51]
Members
382 posts
14,039 battles

I spent 20 minutes on the website trying to figure out how to file a complaint.  Can anyone provide a direct link?  Thanks.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,899 battles
7 minutes ago, Seaneroo said:

I spent 20 minutes on the website trying to figure out how to file a complaint.  Can anyone provide a direct link?  Thanks.

click player support at the top of this page.  Select my tickets in the top right of that page.  Click on the orange Contact support button on that page.  There may be an easier way but I'm not aware of it.

If you have replays enabled submit them with your ticket.  Every time I've done that I get a thanks for ... but we can't tell you if we did anything because of player privacy response.  Which is basically the best you are going to get out of them.

Edited by mrh308

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
10,113 posts
4,429 battles
1 hour ago, Seaneroo said:

I saw a strange phenomenon twice today in Co-Op games that I never noticed before.  In two higher-tier games, a friendly BB did a long, looping cruise to the northernmost cap in a three-cap map.  It then did a long, slow loop in the cap and then took a similar course back south.  In both games, the route looked to be exactly the same.  They continued on their course once they met enemy ships, never changing course to adjust to the enemy.  They did fire their guns, however, when the enemy came in range.  In both games, the BB seemed to be on a pre-programmed course with no small adjustments or changes in direction that one would expect.  Neither "player" ever responded to in-game chat.  Both games resulted in losses because the BBs were out of play for most of the game.  The whole thing gave me the impression that no human was controlling these ships.  The player names were not bot names, and there was no colon next to the names.   Are people hacking the game using bots to play on their accounts?  Is WG doing anything to stop this?

1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Seaneroo that's botting note the names and put in a support ticket!

Sounds to me like someone's using the autopilot and waypoint navigation which is a built-in game function and then aiming and firing normally.

When you spawn into a match press M, click somewhere on the map once, then hold shift and click again somewhere else.

Bot? No. Lazy? Yes. Inefficient? Also yes.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts
1 hour ago, mrh308 said:

click player support at the top of this page.  Select my tickets in the top right of that page.  Click on the orange Contact support button on that page.  There may be an easier way but I'm not aware of it.

If you have replays enabled submit them with your ticket.  Every time I've done that I get a thanks for ... but we can't tell you if we did anything because of player privacy response.  Which is basically the best you are going to get out of them.

If it were easier, everybody would be doing it! :cap_like:

[O_O]
Members
849 posts
6,707 battles

hahahaha thats funny! Humans behaving like Bots....:Smile_teethhappy: that wouldn't be logical...

wait....:Smile_amazed:

Image result for mr spock

or could i be wrong.... :Smile_amazed:

Members
641 posts

Some playas use COOp to test and practice. Also there are the various demos going on by various accounts. Museum Ship, Individual, Navy etc. 

This is where name and shame policy causes problems. If we know the name of the player we might have an answer for the OP

Sorry but I personally do not take Co Op seriously. Win lose go AFK to walk the dog it is all fine with me. 

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
572 posts
1,195 battles
37 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

hahahaha thats funny! Humans behaving like Bots....:Smile_teethhappy: that wouldn't be logical...

wait....:Smile_amazed:

Image result for mr spock

or could i be wrong.... :Smile_amazed:

2g0pwf.jpg

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,442 posts
2 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Sounds to me like someone's using the autopilot and waypoint navigation which is a built-in game function and then aiming and firing normally.

When you spawn into a match press M, click somewhere on the map once, then hold shift and click again somewhere else.

Bot? No. Lazy? Yes. Inefficient? Also yes.

Actually, that is highly indicative of what is called a 'manned bot network'.

You have one person directing multiple accounts simultaneously. The human only needs to 'launch' the game and set the waypoints for the ship to follow then flip to the next account and do the same and so forth.

Then per each 'battle' just flip to that account and fire a few rounds to throw off bot-detection programs from the devs.

This system was (and is) used extensively in EVE Online ..and yes, WOT.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
10,113 posts
4,429 battles
15 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Actually, that is highly indicative of what is called a 'manned bot network'.

You have one person directing multiple accounts simultaneously. The human only needs to 'launch' the game and set the waypoints for the ship to follow then flip to the next account and do the same and so forth.

Then per each 'battle' just flip to that account and fire a few rounds to throw off bot-detection programs from the devs.

This system was (and is) used extensively in EVE Online ..and yes, WOT.

You're referring to multiboxing. Yes it exists but in here its hardly effective, especially with a 3-man division limit. The rest would be trying to sync-drop which isn't guaranteed.

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,145 posts
13,521 battles

@J30_Reinhardt I use auto pilot way points often but that never works as precisely as described for more than 2 o3 way points and certainly not a transit all the way around the map.

[PVE]
Members
6,453 posts
11,451 battles

@Seaneroo

I have absolutely seen people using bots in Co-op to run their ship. However, what you describe is different than what I have seen. When I have seen it the human "bots" just sail straight, literally reaching the far side of the map and grounding on the border (or an island they hit on the way) never changing course at all, never backing off what they are stuck on, and the ships is always set at full speed. They do not actually fight back if attacked by enemy bots and will just keep sailing until they die or are let go. Also, the guns fire every time they reload but not at enemy ships; just straight ahead and straight behind. It is clear when this is happening. You see them leave spawn in a straight line and never deviate from that course. Then later in the game, if they live, they end up grounded on the border or an island firing their guns into the border/island ahead and water behind. Really sticks out what is going on.

I have seen what you describe a few times as well but IMO that sounds more like a really bad player OR a new player who bought themselves a high tier ship with NO CLUE how to play the game. The fact the ships in question actually maneuvered at least some and fired at the enemy ships is different than what I have seen of clear "botting". Anytime I see a player in a high tier Premium playing like absolute crap I usually check their games played totals and tiers reached and with very rare exceptions it is a new player who jumped from a small handful of games at T1/T2 to high tier. It sticks out like a sore thumb (note I don't berate them for it but I do send them a private chat suggesting they go back to the low tiers and learn how to play 1st as they are hurting themselves and their team - I offer to help if they want it).

You don't mention what tier BB's these 2 players were using or if they were Premium or tech tree? If they were Premiums take a minute to go to the WOWS site and look up their usernames and see what their experience is. Might discover these were just newbies who made a bad decision to buy a high tier ship before they are ready for it. The 4 most common ships I see this with, in order,  are...

1. Tirpitz
  2. Alabama
  3. Atago
  4. Scharnhorst

[ADR]
Members
4,317 posts
13,545 battles
14 hours ago, Seaneroo said:

without replays, your attempt will be in vain.  they wont do a thing without a replay. even then, it will take a long while to get something done as they have to actually prove botting.  

2 years ago there was a Massive bot invasion, took MONTHS to get them banned. and Everyone was reporting them.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
482 posts
2,238 battles

Co-Op aside, have you guys noticed how there's no bot-comments for players that are sub-40 wr any more? It's been "accepted" that they just exist. Back when WoWs launched anyone with such low wr and accompanying stats would've been looked upon as a bot-user instantly, where people would send in replays and whatnot. Makes me wonder how prevalent bot-usage is in randoms as well these days.

Sign in to follow this