Sign in to follow this  
majormojo

Will the nelson get an armor buff?

41 comments in this topic

[GLORY]
Members
90 posts
1,778 battles

Compared to its real life counterparts its pretty pathetic.  I think it needs some better armor

[WOLF3]
Members
20,310 posts
18,631 battles

Sure, if it gives up its Mega Heal, then we'll call it even.

Nelson right now is doing extremely well as a Tier VII Battleship.  So nothing on her really needs to be buffed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
911 posts
7,233 battles

It would be nice. I favor traits that are usable ALL time i.e. faster reload vs having a reload booster and slower reloads etc. I would trade better armor for a Hood/Warspite heal. But whatever gimmicks will gimmick

[HINON]
Supertester
20,955 posts
14,580 battles

No. It already outperforms the other T7 BBs in damage done and is up there in winrate. It does not need a buff.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,525 posts
7,518 battles
27 minutes ago, majormojo said:

Compared to its real life counterparts its pretty pathetic.  I think it needs some better armor

Are there any armor plates that are actually missing, or that have been nerfed in this game?

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
631 posts
5,697 battles
45 minutes ago, majormojo said:

No

[GLORY]
Members
90 posts
1,778 battles
49 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

really why would you show sides in a nelson...that's just bad driving

I dont.  But irl its citadel was well protected.  Pretty sad in this game

Edited by majormojo

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,017 posts
16,053 battles

If it is a premium ship you can forget any buffs but don't count out nerfs! If they see enough complaints they will just wreck it just like they are going to wreck CVs

[TDD]
Members
1,126 posts
8,996 battles
15 hours ago, majormojo said:

I dont.  But irl its citadel was well protected.  Pretty sad in this game

i agree. and my apologies i was too vague with my comment, i meant that with all of the guns forward you don't have to angle very much at all to bring all of the to bear. thus aside from turning there is no need to sail broadside in this and a few other BBs.

Happy Sailing

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
192 posts
4,538 battles

Ol' Nelly is a monster of a ship when played right (IFHE making her even more terrifying). She can be a little squishy at points but i dont see anywhere she really needs a buff.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,677 posts
3,603 battles
1 hour ago, GENAlphawolf said:

Ol' Nelly is a monster of a ship when played right (IFHE making her even more terrifying). She can be a little squishy at points but i dont see anywhere she really needs a buff.

You seriously wasted a 4 point skill on that? 

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
192 posts
4,538 battles
6 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

You seriously wasted a 4 point skill on that? 

ooooh yes and i regret nothing

[HUNGS]
Members
1,677 posts
3,603 battles

ooooh yes and i regret nothing

God I hope you stay on the enemy team so its easier for me to win then, I don't want to be stuck carrying you to a win

Edited by Psycodiver

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
192 posts
4,538 battles
1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

God I hope you stay on the enemy team so its easier for me to win then, I don't want to be stuck carrying you to a win

O.o if you say so

[GLORY]
Members
90 posts
1,778 battles
15 hours ago, nina_blain_73 said:

i agree. and my apologies i was too vague with my comment, i meant that with all of the guns forward you don't have to angle very much at all to bring all of the to bear. thus aside from turning there is no need to sail broadside in this and a few other BBs.

Happy Sailing

Oh yes i see.  Right no point in turning much if you set up right but set up wrong and ya get paddled pretty fast 

Members
70 posts
2,196 battles
On 17/08/2018 at 11:47 PM, GENAlphawolf said:

Just out of curiosity. Why IFHE over concealment/fire prevention?

[RKLES]
Members
9,034 posts
10,841 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, majormojo said:

Just read some guides and watch some good YouTube vids on Nelson. I expected the ship to be “made of glass” after all the times I severely damaged the ship or sank it, but once I got it and used it myself it proved to be tough.

The main guns all point forwards in very nice configuration, so all you need to do is angle a little to get all 3 main turrets on target. Or just fire the forward gun if you need to be  straight on with enemy. Enemy ships have difficulty in getting through your bow armor head on, your side armor can be reasonable against some ships sometimes, but best not to count on it doing that too much because of your citadel. Although I was shocked to survive some side AP hits from Nagato Guns, so it’s armor can troll enemy at times.

Then when you add in the Superheal and it’s amazing HE shells, it really is a great ship. Of course you need to plan your route carefully with only 23knts top speed.

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
192 posts
4,538 battles
8 hours ago, VanillaPepsi said:

Just out of curiosity. Why IFHE over concealment/fire prevention?

i saw the +30% armor pen factor as outweighing the -3% fire chance because the ship already boasts a nearly 50% chance of fire upon a hit. now i do intend to get the other two in some order as well but at the time IFHE was my primary goal.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,522 posts
4,264 battles

i saw the +30% armor pen factor as outweighing the -3% fire chance because the ship already boasts a nearly 50% chance of fire upon a hit. now i do intend to get the other two in some order as well but at the time IFHE was my primary goal.

*clears throat* From LittleWhiteMouse's Nelson Review

Now let's talk about Inertial Fuse for HE Shells.  HMS Nelson is fully capable of damaging any ship within her matchmaking spread with HE without any need for taking this skill.  This includes battleships and the armoured deck of carriers like Taiho.  Her penetration is so high, she can citadel almost half of the cruisers in her matchmaking spread.  Doing so provides a big boost to Nelson's damage totals, but this is a harder shot to land than with AP shells.

*snip*

Taking Inertial Fuse for HE Shells only opens up small sections of battleships to penetration damage and none of them large enough to be worth it (with the exception of HMS Hood and Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya which each have large sections of their upper hull that becomes vulnerable).  It does nothing to help you with aircraft carriers or destroyers.

*snip again*

I must stress, however, that as fun as it may sound to citadel cruisers with HE shells no matter how they angle, Nelson can do this with AP shells most of the time anyway AP shells also do more damage.  As hilarious as it is to make Belfasts cry when you not only carve out most of their hit points with an HE volley but also blow apart their modules and set fires, your four skill points could be better spent elsewhere.

I rarely fire HE more than 2-3 salvoes as it stands. Nelson as an HE-spammer (IFHE taken, of course under the assumption you'll be primarily firing HE) is overspecialized in doing one type of damage that gets saturated very quickly by the parts of a ship that take HE damage easily. Then you're stuck with setting fires which sits squarely in RNG's court, and you're losing out on the incredible amount of pain Nelson's AP can dish out. 

• Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this