You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Throwdown Thursday - Critical Hits

15 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
949 posts
6,326 battles

Datei:USS Essex (CV-9) is hit by a Kamikaze off the Philippines on 25 November 1944.jpg

*pictured - USS Essex being struck by a Japanese kamikaze plane off the Philippine Islands (11/25/1944)

After a crippling hit to your ship, how do you cope with controlling the damage and staying in the fight?

No matter what class of ship you're taking to battle, staying afloat means you're able to help your team towards victory.

However, sustaining heavy damage or having equipment knocked out is a challenge all ship captains must learn to deal with and manage.

Consumables, equipment, signals, and captain skills all contribute to staying alive and continue the fight against the enemy fleet.

When you are on the receiving end of a critical strike, how do you keep yourself afloat and continue the fight?

"I have just taken on a great responsibility. I will do my utmost to meet it." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#throwdownthursday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,442 posts

er... a citadel hit just knocks out a chunk of your HP it doesn't do anything else. So no, nothing you need to do.

The only 'critical' damage one must take care of quickly is flooding or double+ fires...BEFORE it becomes critical.

• Cool 2

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Too many factors for an easy answer. Flags to lessen fire and flooding and the survival skills of a captain help mimimize the damage. But if you've been citidaled it's time to either eliminate the threat or get into a position to prevent another. If your repair is off cooldown then yeah its time to use it and hopefully give yourself time to change the situation. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,240 posts
13,031 battles

Dealing with damage, fire, floods, and the like are all pretty routine. The one thing that really gets under people's skin, though, is when a primary weapon system is permakilled. Or two.

NfewjIk.png

At some point, it's time to use the Final Torpedo.

• Cool 2

[JFSOC]
Members
466 posts
7,950 battles

I'm primarily in a DD (IJN) and this is a fairly common issue. Survived a battle yesterday with 74 HP. Yes, 74. After nearly sinking, I spotted carefully and tried to herd BB's with my torps the rest of the match. It get's pretty tricky trying to be out front spotting enemies and not get yourself deleted. Battleships and some Cruisers can get to the back of the action and heal up a bit. Destroyers (but one) don't have that option; we have to dance.

Beta Testers
1,442 posts
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Dealing with damage, fire, floods, and the like are all pretty routine. The one thing that really gets under people's skin, though, is when a primary weapon system is permakilled. Or two.

NfewjIk.png

At some point, it's time to use the Final Torpedo.

I actually hope this would be seen more in the game. Long ago you could lose your main guns and torp launchers. But people whined too much and they changed it to be extremely rare to happen.

I miss the days you could aim your guns AT the guns of other ships to knock them out. It sometimes was the only defense vs an angled ship. It sometimes was the only thing you could do vs a full HP ship and you were about to go down next salvo... best thing you could do for the team was knock out his armament off the game.

It was FUN to have it happen to you... forward guns out ..well, adapt.. improvise. Use those secondaries or ram.

But now.. seeing a Yamato shell fired at 6km hitting a cruiser's turrets and they just poofing out of service for one reload cycle is bollocks.

Members
1,704 posts
5,144 battles

Well, there's this R button and sometimes the T button.  Those seem to help sometimes.

Honestly, depends on how big the chunk is as compared to how much your ship can take, also you have to determine whether you should be hitting the T and R button now or whether you really should wait for a better opportunity.  An obvious example is if you have been set on fire by a bunch of dive bombers and the torp bombers are coming in.  It's always a good idea to wait until you see what the torp bombers are going to do before hitting that R button if there's any way you can possibly wait that long. 

Beyond the management of consumables, you have to judge whether the critical hit you just took is due to bad positioning and whether you need to change your angle in relation to those annoying red ships.  If you are really hurt badly, is there a convenient rock or smoke screen you can use to break contact without getting exploderated before you can get there.  

Best advice is not to panic or give up on your ship.  As long as you are afloat you can still get more punches in, still spot, still cap (if the red ships aren't around).  Don't automatically run away before you consider your chances of surviving the turn and choose the option that gives you the best chance to cause maximum harm to the enemy.  

Good Luck and Fair Seas everyone!!! :Smile_honoring: 

• Funny 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester
5,823 posts
5,850 battles

Meanwhile, the equivalent of this exists here when you penetrate gun turrets for no HP damage:

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles

Well, I play everything but CV, so it varies a lot.

For a DD, it depends on how much I have left. I'm always better alive than dead, and torpedoes are always threatening. I become far more careful of radar ships, do what I can to spot, and generally take pot shots from behind islands more. Are there caps to take? I take them. A CV to kill? If I know where it is, now's a good time to go for it.

For a cruiser, I become even more careful, now doing what I can to maintain distance. I try to avoid conflict rather than have to try and bounce BBs shells with my belt. If I have a heal, I might use it if I'm low enough just to be sure. If I have smoke, it's time to play the annoyance game. Torpedoes, I ambush. I try to get out a plane just before I die, too. Its spotting can be invaluable if a DD takes me out.

BBs are the tricky one, contrary to what you might expect. Yes, they can take a beating, but if you took some devastating amount of damage, something has gone very, very wrong. Typically I either ended up taking torpedoes, am trying to bounce multiple BBs at once, or, on exceedingly rare occasions, just rammed something. Nelson is my favorite BB, and while her heal is strong, keeping shells out of your cit is far from easy. Likewise, facing a Yamato-class has a similar stress, as it is not easy to bounce those shells. Not impossible by any means, as I've bounced the Yamato at sub-5km ranges, but no less stressful for it.

Never underestimate BB-size shells. Never underestimate a radar ship. Never underestimate torpedoes. Never expect giving your broadside to end well. CA AP shells can obliterate a BB if the right conditions are met. DD AP can obliterate a CL or even a CA in similar conditions. BB aggression is a slippery slope, as you need to be aggressive, but not over aggressive.  Know your ship's limits and do what you can to maximize your strengths while minimize your weaknesses and you will be ready for when you end up in this situation.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[PVE]
Members
2,008 posts
18,505 battles
9 hours ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

exploderated

+1

[PVE]
Members
2,008 posts
18,505 battles
14 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

how do you keep yourself afloat and continue the fight

2 words for ya...Adrenalin Rush...have it on every ship (don't run CVs but assume the best CV commanders take it & intentionally get themselves spotted early on just to soak up some damage...[a couple BB...cits...thank you] for faster planes reloads all match...I know after the rework if I can figure CVs out better I will be doing just that)…

As for other ship types if I have heal I wait to use it until sure lethally potential shells are incoming to get the absolute most use out of it that I can & attempt to make the best use out of the faster reloads to eliminating whatever ship type is weakest against the type I am running...or target of opportunity if that's not viable (unless it's a 1 on 1 (or I at lest have it isolated)  I usually don't go for revenge on the ship that brought me down because it is probably a ship that is stronger in comparison to my ship type to have brought me down so fast in the 1st place).

(I can't say unfortunately about this as I am really stoked about this...) Fortunately I have pirate ships to get equipped for tomorrow so can't go into a detailed strategy for each ship type but 1 thing is for certain...no matter what other commander skills may be involved per individual ship they all include Adrenalin Rush.

[VOP]
Members
286 posts
7,219 battles
8 hours ago, Tedster_ said:

Meanwhile, the equivalent of this exists here when you penetrate gun turrets for no HP damage:

I had this happen plenty of times.  Fired on a brand new ship (i.e. at full health), no modules were hit (you can check this at the end screen), got a penetrating hit and caused no damage.  I submitted replays, screenshots, and detailed explanations.  Still, customer support could not understand what was happening.  This glitch tended to occur in the first few minutes of the game shortly after the target came into view.

[VOP]
Members
286 posts
7,219 battles
12 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

I actually hope this would be seen more in the game. Long ago you could lose your main guns and torp launchers. But people whined too much and they changed it to be extremely rare to happen.

I miss the days you could aim your guns AT the guns of other ships to knock them out. It sometimes was the only defense vs an angled ship. It sometimes was the only thing you could do vs a full HP ship and you were about to go down next salvo... best thing you could do for the team was knock out his armament off the game.

It was FUN to have it happen to you... forward guns out ..well, adapt.. improvise. Use those secondaries or ram.

But now.. seeing a Yamato shell fired at 6km hitting a cruiser's turrets and they just poofing out of service for one reload cycle is bollocks.

My torpedo launchers almost always get hit a second before I click fire, lol.

[PVE]
Members
2,008 posts
18,505 battles
18 hours ago, Airjellyfish said:

My torpedo launchers almost always get hit a second before I click fire, lol.

It's the BB making it's saving throw (a 20 is a 20)...just when you come out from the island to torp it you fire off the 1st rack & the 2nd is either incapped or destroyed...& now the BB is already healing up the laughable damage from the 1st rack & licking his lips because that was just the 2ndaries that took out your torps & his mains turrets have finally come around.

• Cool 1