You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thecoffeeguy

how to drop torps better

8 comments in this topic

[DOD]
Members
5 posts
3,324 battles

I am just about to get my T6 IJN carrier, but was hoping for some tips on torp drops.

Seems like most of my drops, i land one, maybe two, even when i think i have it lined up nicely.

any suggestions or videos to watch?

I think starting at t6, you can do manual drops (more control?)?

Thanks

TCG

[OGU]
Members
20 posts
4,225 battles

It takes practice to do a good manual job.  A good way to figure out how far ahead to drop them is to look at the automatic drop.  I try to get my aiming box to line up so the torps are in the water just as the ship enters the box.  That tends to work well for most ships, but I do drop ahead more if the ship is faster.

And since you're on the IJN line, you can do cross-drops so you can almost guarantee you'll get some hits.

Yes, at T6, you can do manual drops which helps quite a bit.  Until then, you just have to do what you can.

Edited by Kryptronic

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,467 posts
9,896 battles

If you know the scenarios, Run the Ryujo in them. She's a good ship for the tier 6 ones, and you'll get a lot of practice.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
574 posts
5,231 battles
1 hour ago, thecoffeeguy said:

I am just about to get my T6 IJN carrier, but was hoping for some tips on torp drops.

Seems like most of my drops, i land one, maybe two, even when i think i have it lined up nicely.

Thanks

TCG

You won't always hit every torp in a drop. A good way to get better at them is to judge what you think the enemy ship will do. This will also depend very heavily on the situation. For example if you have an enemy ship nose on coming towards you and lets say a teammate that has their broadside, they will turn to reduce that broadside, but will give you broadside so lead your torps according to where you think they will be after they turn out.

It takes some practice to be able to judge and be able to hit the ships with your torpedos. That experience is just gained with more games played.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,262 posts
9,589 battles

Practice in co-op. Even if you do a complete face plant the bots are really stupid and the rest of the team will almost always be able to pick up the slack.

Members
2,380 posts
4,171 battles
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, thecoffeeguy said:

Thanks

TCG

Hope this helps to get you going.

There is also dropping in a 90 degree crossing drop.

Vi7wR5Z.jpg

Edited by StoneRhino

[PWP]
Members
45 posts
4,494 battles

Probably won't matter since they are planning on making this a non-RTS fly plane and drop scenario.

But for what it's worth pick your targets carefully.  Avoid AA cruisers, and possibly fast moving attentive BBs.  However, for tier 5 cruisers and BBs its pretty much a paradise for the Ryujou (spelling?).  Ryujou is now the best JPN Cv in the game since you have a fair chance to see a lot of tier 5 cushy surface ships to sink.  In dual CV matches, you can wreck with impunity at times.

Slow moving BBs and non-AA cruisers should be your first targets, and yes lead them enough and watch them all the way to the manual drop.  If at last instance they shift try to pull out and adjust.  The easiest targets are those that are firing their cannons.  They generally are focusing on where their shells are going and not what's in the sky (for the most part).  They are the ones that are generally too focused on the shell battle and can be more predictive.

Happy torping