Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GhostSwordsman

How Does Kidd Hold up in the Current Meta?

30 comments in this topic

Members
4,927 posts
5,713 battles

Or rather, how is Kidd holding up in the current meta?

Purchasing Kidd is something I've been stewing over for awhile. I love my Fletcher, but part of that is because of the excellent torpedo armament Fletcher carries. I also love my Akizuki, aside from the slow speed, so I feel that Kidd would be a comfortable fit since Aki is the closest contemporary in game at the moment. I feel like I could handle one torpedo launcher, even without TRB to get a second set in the water. But the game has moved away from smoke shooting in a lot of instances, which is where I felt a lot of utility for USN DDs came from.(I remember locking down our base once single handedly in Benson, simply because USN smoke lasts so long) In fact, I rarely use smoke anymore in all my DDs for anything except breaking LoS to escape a situation(even if the 'radar meta' isn't as bad as it's hyped up to be).

However, I'm just not sure if it's a decent buy for me. It's hard to weigh pro's and con's without getting hands on experience. The motivations for buying would be to have a high tier premium USN DD, and something to train DD captains in. At first glance, Kidd doesn't quite strike me as a decent cross-trainer for the DD line since the optimal captain skills are different from the ones used in the tech tree line.

I'm just looking for opinions from those who own and play KIdd, since you guys have the experience of playing Kidd in the current meta.

[OGU]
Members
20 posts
4,246 battles

I don't have a problem with the radar meta as a Destroyer player.  It's like what Zoup says, check the lineup to see how many ships have radar (I've learned a lot of the ships by talking with friends that way), taking an educated guess on the risk of charging the cap vs. skirting for spotting and planning an escape route in case that radar does pop-up.  Understanding the ranges of the ships and judging on timing allows me to be mostly safe in any DD.  I don't play the Kidd too often in Random as I've been focusing on Operations, Co-op (for some easy matches) or my T9 ships to work on T10.

When I do have the Kidd in Random, I rely a lot on the Repair Party to last as long as possible and use my torps mostly to bluff bigger ships or make them turn around.  If I hit, great.

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I still play mine and am getting it ready for ranked with things like RPF. Great anti-DD to counter Loyangs and such, and I have full BFT/AFT so CVs don't concern me. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
604 posts
3,457 battles
19 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Or rather, how is Kidd holding up in the current meta?

Purchasing Kidd is something I've been stewing over for awhile. I love my Fletcher, but part of that is because of the excellent torpedo armament Fletcher carries. I also love my Akizuki, aside from the slow speed, so I feel that Kidd would be a comfortable fit since Aki is the closest contemporary in game at the moment. I feel like I could handle one torpedo launcher, even without TRB to get a second set in the water. But the game has moved away from smoke shooting in a lot of instances, which is where I felt a lot of utility for USN DDs came from.(I remember locking down our base once single handedly in Benson, simply because USN smoke lasts so long) In fact, I rarely use smoke anymore in all my DDs for anything except breaking LoS to escape a situation(even if the 'radar meta' isn't as bad as it's hyped up to be).

However, I'm just not sure if it's a decent buy for me. It's hard to weigh pro's and con's without getting hands on experience. The motivations for buying would be to have a high tier premium USN DD, and something to train DD captains in. At first glance, Kidd doesn't quite strike me as a decent cross-trainer for the DD line since the optimal captain skills are different from the ones used in the tech tree line.

I'm just looking for opinions from those who own and play KIdd, since you guys have the experience of playing Kidd in the current meta.

The Kidd Is an AA boat not a typical DD. She looses a Torp launcher for More AA and gains a heal. The reload of that launcher is long for only launching 5 torps. The Kidd maybe a flecher but lacks the torps

[HYDRO]
Members
1,864 posts
3,961 battles

I bought Kidd at the height of the radar meta. I still play her very often. I also use a specialized Commander for her since she has qualities that most of the USN DDs don't share.

I feel you should ask yourself the following questions when it comes to buying the Kidd:

Am I fine with not shooting ships and not having a good torpedo suite to compensate?

Am I comfortable with being almost always in the frontline trying to pick fights with red DDs?

Am I ok with having relatively low average damage compared to my other tier VIII DDs?

Is my goal fighting with every tiny advantage I can get over my opponents?

Do I want CVs to never touch me again in a DD?

If the answer to most of these questions is yes, then Kidd is for you. She is a very tough and hardy DD that is very challenging but at the same time very rewarding  to play. Not rewarding in the conventional way  aka damage. She makes the meaningful kills and damage, the one that counts to victory.

Just my 0.02$ :Smile_great:

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

Members
1,476 posts
12,610 battles

Have the Kidd, can’t say it is my favorite DD.  Tier 8 is a tough place to be, many games you may be the only tier 8 DD on the team, while you do have a heal, some games too many shells or torps coming you way.  There are much better premium DDs out there, especially at tier 7 

would love to see torp reload booster (in its own slot) for the Kidd - long reload for torps is an issue 

[OGU]
Members
20 posts
4,246 battles

Against other DDs, the Kidd's advantage is the heal.  I've held quite a few caps against one or two DDs because I could tank the shots knowing I could recover a decent amount of that.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
337 posts
6,893 battles

i bet the kidd was fun when it was a cv heavy meta as it stands i still enjoy it in the radar meta but its pure gunboat. not sure ill take it against a loyang in ranked as they're tricky buggers . 

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles
1 hour ago, Kryptronic said:

I don't have a problem with the radar meta as a Destroyer player.  It's like what Zoup says, check the lineup to see how many ships have radar (I've learned a lot of the ships by talking with friends that way), taking an educated guess on the risk of charging the cap vs. skirting for spotting and planning an escape route in case that radar does pop-up.  Understanding the ranges of the ships and judging on timing allows me to be mostly safe in any DD.  I don't play the Kidd too often in Random as I've been focusing on Operations, Co-op (for some easy matches) or my T9 ships to work on T10.

When I do have the Kidd in Random, I rely a lot on the Repair Party to last as long as possible and use my torps mostly to bluff bigger ships or make them turn around.  If I hit, great.

I feel as if I respect you more than most posters on any DD issue, thanks for giving a solid answer. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,927 posts
5,713 battles
1 hour ago, Kryptronic said:

I don't have an issue with the radar meta either. There's only two things I've noticed since the slight uptick in radar cruisers per match: 1) I get pinged by radar a bit more than I did before, and 2) my average damage dropped a bit in my  USN DDs, which is likely due to it being tougher to get close enough to do significant damage to the larger ships. Other than those, I find DD play at high tiers to be largely the same as it was before the American arc.

1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

I bought Kidd at the height of the radar meta. I still play her very often. I also use a specialized Commander for her since she has qualities that most of the USN DDs don't share.

I feel you should ask yourself the following questions when it comes to buying the Kidd:

Am I fine with not shooting ships and not having a good torpedo suite to compensate?

Am I comfortable with being almost always in the frontline trying to pick fights with red DDs?

Am I ok with having relatively low average damage compared to my other tier VIII DDs?

Is my goal fighting with every tiny advantage I can get over my opponents?

Do I want CVs to never touch me again in a DD?

If the answer to most of these questions is yes, then Kidd is for you. She is a very tough and hardy DD that is very challenging but at the same time very rewarding  to play. Not rewarding in the conventional way  aka damage. She makes the meaningful kills and damage, the one that counts to victory.

Just my 0.02$ :Smile_great:

As I said in the OP, I've played Akizuki extensively and love it(aside from it's slow speed. Really looking forward to Kitakaze), so that pretty much covers the first question. I also find that I'm often the only one willing to be out front, spot, and pick fights with red DDs. I'm pretty comfortable taking a forward position in my DDs. Kidd's big advantage, in my eyes, over something like Akizuki would be the better maneuverability and speed, which should allow Kidd to dance better when out front. I see the heal as a bonus. As for CVs, Kidd's ability to deter attacks much better than other DDs I also view as a side bonus. When I play DDs, I try to focus on enhancing my surface combat capability. Anything else the DD can do really well is just icing on the cake. Well played DDs win games after all, and taking out red DDs is a big part in doing so.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,529 posts
3,819 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Kidd is great for this meta. Because the heal allows to to play much more agressive and bait out or tempt radar sweeps without worrying about permanent health loss. 

I ran Kidd in the 9th season and I ended up no 2 on the Kidd leader boards for ranked Season 9. The ship is incredibly strong in Radar meta as a Anti Destroyer and objective controller. 

The Heal + flags and SI / SE make her incredibly resilient with almost 30k EHP to play with if you maximise your consumables and minimize Torp and AP damage. 

In random she can be a little more difficult due to the increased targets firing at you. However its still incredibly strong and if you get a CV? Yea you are one happy Kidd (in ranked as well regarding CV) 

I run a full utility build on her,  PT / PM / LS / SE / DE / SI / CE  (AR Is the final skill, BFT and DE are interchangeable depending on your play style)

Last point , in terms of captain trainer.  After the lovely experience that is fletcher I opted to keep her, but I transfered that captain to Gearing.. So Kidd was a very important buy for me because I wanted to make that captain my fletcher Captain. 

Its a utility Fletcher build with a little bit of a gunnery focus, but it does the trick very well and has been my permanent new fletcher captain. The AA build can be very strong but for the amount of times you need to put a CV in its place it isn't worth it IMO. 

If you division with a CV though? That is fun with a full AA build. 

*edit 

Kidd ranked battle S9 stats 

image.thumb.png.d0f721e69a86d392cdbc11cb2150c403.png

[OGU]
Members
20 posts
4,246 battles
11 minutes ago, Captain_Kylere said:

I feel as if I respect you more than most posters on any DD issue, thanks for giving a solid answer. 

Thanks and you're welcome!  I'm just starting to really post on the forums, so I'll try to post a bit more.

[OGU]
Members
20 posts
4,246 battles

On the mention of CVs, it's great having Defensive AA with an AA build and watching as I do some good damage on planes.  I don't shred through them like the Cruisers can, but I'm sure some CVs don't get why their planes disappear around a destroyer.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,864 posts
3,961 battles
16 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

As I said in the OP, I've played Akizuki extensively and love it(aside from it's slow speed. Really looking forward to Kitakaze), so that pretty much covers the first question. I also find that I'm often the only one willing to be out front, spot, and pick fights with red DDs. I'm pretty comfortable taking a forward position in my DDs. Kidd's big advantage, in my eyes, over something like Akizuki would be the better maneuverability and speed, which should allow Kidd to dance better when out front. I see the heal as a bonus. As for CVs, Kidd's ability to deter attacks much better than other DDs I also view as a side bonus. When I play DDs, I try to focus on enhancing my surface combat capability. Anything else the DD can do really well is just icing on the cake. Well played DDs win games after all, and taking out red DDs is a big part in doing so.

Having come from the Aki myself I can relate. I have to add as well that no other DD has me think more than the Kidd. Kidd's advantage lies in attrition battles, using the Heal in the downtime of gun fights to get the HP advantage. 

A big bonus is how much you can Kid with people in the Kidd.:Smile_teethhappy:

[A_51]
Members
381 posts
14,039 battles
3 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

It's hard to weigh pro's and con's without getting hands on experience.

Agree.  I've long wished that WG provided an option to rent a ship for a day just to try her out.  It might even increase sales, because I suspect a lot of people hesitate to buy a ship for fear of getting stuck with something they don't enjoy playing.  Higher tier ships, especially are a significant investment. 

[BOTES]
Members
1,933 posts
6,675 battles

Horribly overpowered. It's a T8 Fletcher with a heal. Of course WG never nerfs premiums so...I dread the future where every tier becomes unbalanced because of OP premiums.

• Funny 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
198 posts
4,867 battles
3 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

would love to see torp reload booster (in its own slot) for the Kidd - long reload for torps is an issue 

Torp reload booster in its own slot would be too much. On the other hand, having to give up Repair Party for TRB would be interesting.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,995 posts
5,013 battles
1 hour ago, awildseaking said:

Horribly overpowered. It's a T8 Fletcher with a heal. Of course WG never nerfs premiums so...I dread the future where every tier becomes unbalanced because of OP premiums.

Man I hate to hear that. I suck in it...Good in a Fletcher, better in a Chung Mu, but the Kidd is kickin' my butt...

[CRMSN]
5,529 posts
3,819 battles

@GhostSwordsman

Another thing I forgot to mention is that my Kidd captain build holds up not only very well with the Fletcher, but it fits perfectly for the black as well. 

So my Kidd captain is my main capt for Black / Fletcher and Kidd. 

Then I have my Gearing captain that is also good for Sims. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,956 posts
9,844 battles

Personally, not particularly well. 

It was originally theorized that it would do great in Ranked because of the heal. That didn’t work out. Lo Yang with hydro kicked Kidd drivers in the face.

With 33% pens, you often run out of repairable damage.

It actually does better in randoms, but is crippled from actually being able to do damage in a couple ways. 

The single torp launcher is the obvious one. 

The second is the stupidly long main gun range, far beyond what is practical with the 5”/38. If you dare to use your guns, you are spotted from the moon for 20 seconds and WILL be punished for it.

If the main gun range was capped at 9.4k like the Harikaze it would be a lot more viable. 

About the only thing it can do is spot and hope it stays alive to late game. Or hope you are top tier and can just sit in smoke and lob grapefruit at T6 BBs.

[CRMSN]
5,529 posts
3,819 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I cant check it now, but if i am not mistaken the kidd was the best performing tier 8 DD in ranked season 9. 

[TBOW]
Members
1,342 posts
10,981 battles

I think it holds up pretty good.  Plus it gets the occasional Top Tier game against T6s.  

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
5,529 posts
3,819 battles
40 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Okay got the stats.  Ranked Season 9  DD stats. 

nation class tier name players total battles average of rates
battles win
US DD 8 Kidd 1096 13179 12.02

JP DD 8 Akizuki 2079 26034 12.52

US DD 8 Benson 4449 89624 20.14

JP DD 8 Kagero 3027 54936 18.15

JP DD 8 HSF Harekaze 1453 19254 13.25

JP DD 8 Asashio 869 12696 14.61

KM DD 8 Z-23 1197 19471 16.27

PA DD 8 Loyang 3360 47935 14.27

PA DD 8 Hsienyang 477 6611 13.86

I din't even bother putting the VMF DD's , any way. Akizuki / Loyang / Kidd in that order. 

Though the seperation between lo yang and kidd is small, the amount of GP are not. 

But still I feel personally from sinking many Lo yangs and akizuki's . That if played properly the kidd is the best tier 8 DD for ranked. My opinion of course. 

Sign in to follow this