You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kanly

Inciting other players to report a player

55 comments in this topic

[ATF]
Members
51 posts

Hi Guys,

I was in a game a bit ago where player A was not happy with player B and asked the whole game to report player B.  I didn't see any reason for it but revenge, but it happened.  The player was chat banned for 24 hours (I guess that is how it works).  This doesn't seem an appropriate use of the system.  I like the reporting system.  I think it gives us each a few chances per day to commend or castigate behavior we admire or dislike.  This is not a criticism of the system, but in this case it was ugly, uncalled for, and seems abusive.  So...is it against the rules? Thoughts?

Kanly

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[ARGSY]
Members
1,714 posts
10,082 battles

Naw, it's just petty.

One of my real pet peeves is when someone broadcasts in chat to all about how they dislike a teammate's play. It's really bad form.

• Cool 2

[ATF]
Members
51 posts

My clanmate is the victim here.  He is pretty pissed and tells me he heard it was against the rules.  I agree it is petty (great word).   There really was no reason for this player to be banned except the guy who asked for the ban is a popular player and people just seemed to respond to it.  Never quite seen anything like it before.  Completely unprovoked. 

Seems like bullying to me. 

• Boring 3

[ATF]
Members
51 posts
3 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Please report Kanly for possible Forum Ban.

LOL.  Yeah, he probably deserves it.  That guy...

It seems minor, after all it is only 24 hours, but it seems like an abuse of the system like this should have consequences.  It is pretty insulting to be silenced when one didn't really do anything. 

Of course, I encounter players every day who need a chat ban...

Members
681 posts
7,484 battles

Realistically, I'm to busy fighting my ship to know how someone else played.

The BB behind the island at the end of the game, who I thing is wasting his time, turns out to be at the top of the leaderboard.

You just don't know.

Bad manners in chat usually does get a down vote from me. 

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,002 posts
3,895 battles

This is a behavior that's as old as internet gaming. It persists because people keep getting away with it.

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,374 battles

I do have one CO-OP match that there is a player been unhappy about our CV player and spamming the chat with "improper" language and asking the team to report the CV player...

That guy also showed up in the next match I had, and he starts to targeting another player again, with no really reason in my pov. I just report that guy since he did the same thing twice...

[HINON]
Supertester
20,111 posts
13,586 battles

It's not against the rules. It's just petty and childish.

[CK5]
Members
881 posts
7,691 battles

Yes, it happens and I have seen it happen too often to many players who don't deserve it.  

I can dismiss the player calling for the downvotes as an oversensitive low-life, but my real beef is with all the other players who respond with downvotes themselves just because someone demanded it.  

[ATF]
Members
51 posts
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Yes, it happens and I have seen it happen too often to many players who don't deserve it.  

I can dismiss the player calling for the downvotes as an oversensitive low-life, but my real beef is with all the other players who respond with downvotes themselves just because someone demanded it.  

Well said.

There is a herd mentality, I guess, where people like to just make trouble.  Unfortunately, this was uncalled-for and insulting to my mate.  The whole thing just seems ugly, and will, moreover, reinforce and legitimate this bahavior if it is allowed to go unchallenged. 

I wonder if a ticket would help...

• Boring 1

[ATF]
Members
51 posts
Just now, Toxic_Potato said:

How many downvotes do you need to get chat banned or forum banned?

Is there a way to get a player banned from firing HE? My Yamato Captain wants to know. 

I have been curious about the number as well.  Can three guys playing together be enough to send another player to the lockers?  Does it accumulate over several games?

• Boring 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles

It depends on the reason and if they have proof. I won't just report someone for not reasons... rather my reasons are:

• The Reversing CV is a bot even though I asked him
  • A ship is afk
  • The BB is hiding behind a island
  • The BB is sniping
  • The entire team was idiotic and horrible
  • The chatter kept typing idiotic things
  • I have reported whole teams because it was just that bad of a one sided battle

If I get frustrated enough, I will do the one thing a CV can do that no other ship can do.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles
5 minutes ago, Kanly said:

I have been curious about the number as well.  Can three guys playing together be enough to send another player to the lockers?  Does it accumulate over several games?

I think it's between a mix of how much karma you have and how many players report you. I have roughly 137 Karma and I have badmouthed other players over how horrible they were playing and I have taken point for the team because I am frustrated with my previous battles and my current battle.

[ATF]
Members
51 posts
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

It depends on the reason and if they have proof. I won't just report someone for not reasons... rather my reasons are:

• The Reversing CV is a bot even though I asked him
  • A ship is afk
  • The BB is hiding behind a island
  • The BB is sniping
  • The entire team was idiotic and horrible
  • The chatter kept typing idiotic things
  • I have reported whole teams because it was just that bad of a one sided battle

If I get frustrated enough, I will do the one thing a CV can do that no other ship can do.

Well put.  Everyone has their list.  Some of these look like chat issues while others are bad play. 

As I said, I like the in-game reporting system.  It is run by the players, which is a strength, since we all get a few chances to express our praise or displeasure.  It should probably be the ONLY reporting system.  This situation of abuse is pretty ugly, however, and I don't like it.  Being able to chat is part of the fun.  I wonder if the ticket system could get some justice here. 

• Boring 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles
1 minute ago, Kanly said:

Well put.  Everyone has their list.  Some of these look like chat issues while others are bad play. 

As I said, I like the in-game reporting system.  It is run by the players, which is a strength, since we all get a few chances to express our praise or displeasure.  It should probably be the ONLY reporting system.  This situation of abuse is pretty ugly, however, and I don't like it.  Being able to chat is part of the fun.  I wonder if the ticket system could get some justice here. 

Example: My Gangut was in a Tier VII battle and she sunk one broadside enemy CA and got targeted by about 6 enemy ships from their lemmings push. The West side was devoid of the enemy and I was the only one with noticeable resistance against the enemy while the rest of my team was still in cap and spawn. Needless to say, I had 11 reports at the beginning of the battle, I had 0 by the time I left.

The system has its ups and downs, some people know how to exploit it but some people also says it doesn't do anything. For me it just helps relieve a little frustration over horrible battles. The only thing is that I don't report about chat unless it is about chat. I mostly report on afk/bots and unsporting behaviour.

[NPG]
Members
88 posts
2,400 battles

Two main things I will report over. Spamming the chat with the F keys. And the other is if there is someone who I have seen in multiple battles be afk. The second one I will ask my team to report also because these are bots. I would hope enough bad reports of these ones would lock them to PvE only but that might be my misunderstanding of how the report system works. 

Members
702 posts

I have been told that if someone reports you a notification is sent. 

Is this true? Because I have definitely played poorly. Never bad with chat though. 

But no notifications.

[CK5]
Members
881 posts
7,691 battles

You get a notification if you receive two downvotes in a single match.  A single downvote will lower your Karma, but there is no notification.  

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/052-arrives-patch-notes/

There is a comment in this patch about the Karma system about half way down.  The comments in the patch notes are a little ambiguous, but I have had my share of downvotes and never have received a notification.  I have always received notification of single upvotes.    

Edited by PrairiePlayer

[ARGSY]
Members
8,153 posts
5,538 battles

I have asked for this, on an occasion where the person I wanted reported stopped just short of cap in their destroyer and sat there in smoke despite me asking them to cap and it being safe to do so; I ended up taking the cap in my battleship very shortly thereafter. Throughout the course of the game they did very little, and turned up shortly after I had engaged in an act of mutual destruction with a Kamikaze (my third kill of the game), hoping for a last-minute grab at what was left of the glory. 

I had been playing for a while and had used up all my compliment/reports by that time, otherwise I'd have reported him myself and gone about my business.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,380 posts
14,255 battles
1 hour ago, Kanly said:

Hi Guys,

I was in a game a bit ago where player A was not happy with player B and asked the whole game to report player B.  I didn't see any reason for it but revenge, but it happened.  The player was chat banned for 24 hours (I guess that is how it works).  This doesn't seem an appropriate use of the system.  I like the reporting system.  I think it gives us each a few chances per day to commend or castigate behavior we admire or dislike.  This is not a criticism of the system, but in this case it was ugly, uncalled for, and seems abusive.  So...is it against the rules? Thoughts?

Kanly

A 3 man div can bounce around chat banning players afaik without all the foreplay :)

[ATF]
Members
51 posts
1 minute ago, Commander_367 said:

A 3 man div can bounce around chat banning players afaik without all the foreplay :)

Really?  Wow...I am gobsmacked.  This seems to facilitate abuse to me.  A division can move around like a pack of bullies then?

• Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,380 posts
14,255 battles
2 minutes ago, Kanly said:

Really?  Wow...I am gobsmacked.  This seems to facilitate abuse to me.  A division can move around like a pack of bullies then?

I think for some it's a game within a game - meh