You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Threshner1001

New play strategy for maintaining commanders and building

32 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,707 posts
5,893 battles
4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

BTW, Halloween WG does a good Scenario -- probably Tier 5.  You might want to wait to sell T5 ships until November.)

For Halloween 2017 at least, the Scenario ships were loaned out to you by WG for the duration of the event.

OP: This is a fun event, and worth playing the hell out of (pun intended). The ships have different names and special, weird abilities to match the "supernatural" opposition they face, and cannot be used in the regular game as their modifications make them grossly overpowered. They also come with 19 point captains, and the elite commander XP they generate is yours to keep when the ships and captains are withdrawn at the end of the event. For the last two years running, they have had a neat little story arc; I hope they continue that this year.

Members
21 posts
1,327 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 7:35 PM, IronMike11C4O said:

I have 40 19pt captains. The problem with moving a captain up is what happens when you are really really good in a ship? If you move the captain up then that ship will now need a new captain. I would suggest finding a tier 4 or 5 that you can perform well in and stick to it. I know it's a foreign concept but play to have fun. Grind that ship to a 19Pt captain then move up the trees. Your 19Pt captain on a ship you can do well in will be far more valuable than failing your way up the tech tree's.

But then again what do I know I only have 17K battles on my main account.

After 400+ battle's and 12 ships I am up to 1 8pt and a few 6pt captains.. I probably should use the signals / camo more but they are so hard to get with commander XP bonus.. I don't because I loose alot and feel I just waste them.  The commander premium ship thing is still confusing for this noob. Love the yubari and then sometimes I don't, hahahaha

[PVE]
Members
13,737 posts
8,847 battles
31 minutes ago, Old_Lead_BoTToM said:

After 400+ battle's and 12 ships I am up to 1 8pt and a few 6pt captains.. I probably should use the signals / camo more but they are so hard to get with commander XP bonus.. I don't because I loose alot and feel I just waste them.  The commander premium ship thing is still confusing for this noob. Love the yubari and then sometimes I don't, hahahaha

Say you decided to move your Chikuma captain to Tenryu when you get Tenru.  It would take X amount of Cmdr XP to retrain your Chikuma captain to Tenryu. While the captain is retraining the skills will either work at 50% or not at all. If you put the captain into your Yubari premium while he is retraining, the captain in the premium ship will have full skills while retraining. Any Cmdr XP earned in the Yubari will count for the captain retraining. So you get Tenryu, move the Chikuma captain over to Tenryu, pick the free retraining for the X amount of Cmdr XP and then put the captain into Yubari to work off that captain retraining XP. Then put your captain back into the Tenryu and keep grinding. You will know when a captain is going to be retrained as the skills will be colored orange in a tech tree ship.

Wiki with the amount of captain retraining needed depending on how many points the captain has. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Redistribute_Commander_Skills

For captain retraining, you have three options, free for X amount of Cmdr XP, spend 200k credits for 1/2 X amount of Cmdr XP or spend doubloons for complete retraining.  If you retrain a captain for a different tech tree ship, moving that captain back into the old tech tree ship means he needs to retrain again.

You can also take your Chikuma captain and put him into Yubari to get more Cmdr XP from the first win bonus each day.

Remember that in the future, when you get a 19pt captain, you can also get something called Elite Cmdr XP, that you can use on any captain for retraining or training up. There are events where you can earn Elite Cmdr XP. For example, on Aug 29th, if you complete the 3rd series in each of the daily campaigns, you can earn 2,000 Elite Cmdr XP each. It still works for you, even though you do not have a 19pt captain.

You have the T4 Yubari for retraining IJN captains, the T7 Atlanta for retraining US captains, T7 Leningrad for retraining RU captains and T8 Prinz Eugen & T8 Tirpitz for German captains. Unless you are comfortable in T7+ play, I would suggest using those T7 ships in co-op for retraining as the meta is very different at higher tiers in PvP. You can train any type of captain in any type of premium ships. So a DD captain can train in BB, it is just that the skills don't translate well. For the Germans, I would suggest training DDs in Prinz Eugen and training CL/CAs & BBs in either Prinz Eugen and Tirpitz.

• Cool 2

[13CLM]
Members
251 posts
1,667 battles

My current strategy has been to move my high point captain (currently 16), up with the ship (German cruiser line, at T8 Hipper). Supplementing him with a rotation through 3 premium ships and using economic signals, and premium time. I'm willing to spend some of my hobby money on this game, it's not big deal for me to spend $100+ a month on this game.

I'm think of purchasing some of the new crates to get a few 10P captains for some of the other lines, like a german BB captain, USN BB captain.

[TWGGF]
[TWGGF]
Members
116 posts
1,338 battles

Sometime you might want keep 3 or 4 captain each line, like one for tier 6, tier 8, tier 10 something like that, because using captain change ship too many time slow xp time, even max out, short term,  I guess captain 1 each line if you are not playing to play this game long, or only want to play top end, but if you planing play this game for lone time, whatever on and off, or want to play tier x or tier 6 depend on your mood, then better to had more captain each line so you don't had to keep change captain cause Retraining over and over again.

I think I might had 30 captain at least, mosty American, but some other in country, if I like this kind of ship like USA BB, I might had 3 or 4 captain, while CV I might had 5 captain with tier 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 so go on. 

Edited by Humility925

[PVE]
Members
13,737 posts
8,847 battles
1 minute ago, Humility925 said:

Sometime you might want keep 3 or 4 captain each line, like one for tier 6, tier 8, tier 10 something like that, because using captain change ship too many time slow xp time, even max out, short term,  I guess captain 1 each line if you are not playing to play this game long, or only want to play top end, but if you planing play this game for lone time, whatever on and off, or want to play tier x or tier 6 depend on your mood, then better to had more captain each line so you don't had to keep change captain cause Retraining over and over again.

I make a back up captain for ships I want to keep and keep moving the main captain up. I look into the Wiki so that I can decide what the captain will look like at T10 and then work out in what order to get skills.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,945 posts
3,380 battles
6 hours ago, Markk9 said:

I'm think of purchasing some of the new crates to get a few 10P captains for some of the other lines, like a german BB captain, USN BB captain.

It's a good move overall, but remember that the new 10-pt captains will have to be re-trained to their new ships, at a 10-pt cost.  Now is a good time to do it, as full retraining is on sale for 250 Db (nominally $1.25) - half price.