You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Beatty_10

Too Many Resources?

33 comments in this topic

[SFROG]
Members
269 posts
4,811 battles

Does anyone else think Wargaming is implementing too many currencies, or resources as they call them?

It muddies up the economy, robs it of clarity and simplicity.

I thought adding coal and steel was pushing it, but now we see copper and molybdenum coming - yikes. And Oil seems extraneous now.

Dev blog explains it below:

https://www.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/

• Cool 5

[WOLF7]
Members
10,746 posts

Pretty much everyone thinks it's a mistake...but WG claims that everyone has been asking for more.....:Smile_teethhappy:

This scenario seems somehow familiar....:cap_hmm:

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
249 posts
4,693 battles

First, I want to say that I personally think we already have too many currencies.  That being said, its not clear to me that Copper and Molybdenum are new, they're just replacing other "secret" currencies.  Remember, we previously had Jolly Roger flags for Ranked and Stalingrad flags for CW.  WG decided they wanted to get rid of the auto rewards for ranked/CW by giving you Steel.  However, then they decided that perhaps CW and ranked players should be able to get something special for their individual achievements in the respective modes, so now they're clearly replacing the Jolly Roger and Stalingrad flags with this Copper and Moly stuff.  Not saying its a good idea, but just pointing out these currencies already existed in hidden form of these flags.

Edited by real_icebeast

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles

It's fine. Steel means you earned it, Coal so that you don't have to use 750k XP on a ship. Besides it could be worst.

[O7]
Members
590 posts
13,449 battles
16 minutes ago, Beatty_10 said:

Does anyone else think Wargaming is implementing too many currencies, or resources as they call them?

I thought adding coal and steel was pushing it, but now we see copper and molybdenum coming - yikes. And Oil seems extraneous now.

Dev blog explains it below:

https://www.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/

Oil extraneous?  You do know they are adding tons of amazing buildings for the clan ports right?  Buildings to boost free xp, captain xp, and other resource gain...  oh yeah, and these resources are FREE to collect.  If thinking about more than three resources is causing a mental breakdown, then I suggest you ignore them and let the rest of us enjoy.

Edited by bfk_ferlyfe
  • Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,263 posts
10,432 battles

I like it my self. Sets up incentives to play in the various modes which helps keep those modes alive. The more ways to play a game the greater the variety. The more variety a game has the longer it's longevity.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,732 posts
10,273 battles

I find it funny that they say that making radar Los would be too confusing for the general player base, but 11 in game currencies somehow is less confusing for the general player base. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

I see no problem at all. Some appear to be restricted to Ranked and/or Clan battles so if you don't play those you probably not see them. As far as I know Oil is specific to clans for building their base and if you are not in a clan you don't see it and even if you are in a clan the oil you collect goes to the clan and not the individual.

I do suppose that a simpler method would be to just use credits for whatever they are going to offer in the arsenal. They could also just have 1 special currency ie the Tokens for Special Events like the Sharks vs Eagles event.

Of course there is always the choice of if you don't like it don't use it!

[IRISH]
Members
477 posts
7,645 battles

@ first I thought more currencies would be a mistake, but I am all for them. The Arsenal allows another great way to earn premium ships which would have completely been out of reach for free, and many other useful things like the Lost Collections. With the arsenal I have been able to obtain my 10 point Francua capn I now use on my aigle, as well as complete Bizmark collection to get the camos for that ship. I Think the whole Arsenal addition is an excellent idea. ITs another avenue to get rewards, why complain about it.

[O7]
Members
590 posts
13,449 battles
1 minute ago, drakoolia said:

@ first I thought more currencies would be a mistake, but I am all for them. The Arsenal allows another great way to earn premium ships which would have completely been out of reach for free, and many other useful things like the Lost Collections. With the arsenal I have been able to obtain my 10 point Francua capn I now use on my aigle, as well as complete Bizmark collection to get the camos for that ship. I Think the whole Arsenal addition is an excellent idea. ITs another avenue to get rewards, why complain about it.

These simple minded people can't handle any change, even if it's actually beneficial to them.  I always wonder How They survive in the corporate world.  

[PLPT]
Members
820 posts
7,866 battles

Working as intended!

Adding currencies is another way to take your money.  Every conversion between currencies obfuscates the real costs of items.  Case in point: the 400 coal you get is worth barely more than 1 signal but it’s four hundred coal. Don’t you feel good about getting ripped off?

How to trick player base out of money:

1. add new currency “molybdenum”
  2. Set low-value and annoying-to-calculate exchange rate (pretend 137.29 Moly per coal)
  3. Hand out “lots” of new currency: 3,000 Moly per container slot!
  4. Watch suckers think they are getting something when you are actually taking it away (3,000 Moly = 21.9 coal = 1/10th of a signal)
Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[SFROG]
Members
269 posts
4,811 battles

I think some of the replies are missing the point. And that's my fault for not making it explicit. I didn't mean to imply that adding resources made the economy too complex to understand or play (and good point about oil and molyb being replacements for the flags, true, that's a wash). 

My overall point is, I think adding more currencies to the economy is a bad direction for the game. And for several reasons:

1) Adding complexity to the economy detracts from the appeal to new players. 

2) With more currencies the relative value of items in the Arsenal, the Premium Shop, and the tech tree become more opaque, and this allows Wargaming to be more "flexible" with their pricing. 

3) Wargaming is business out to make money in everything they do. We are not getting new currencies for free. I don't think Wargaming is trying to give us more stuff for free. No, that's not what's going on. All these new currencies have a underlying motivation to get more out of the player base. Whether that is more playing time, more premium accounts, more XP to get more resource crates, etc. 

I raise the question in my OP because I don't think Wargaming is going through all this work to add new resources for the purpose of benefitting us, the player base. And I think that's worth discussing.

Edited by Beatty_10
typo

[SFROG]
Members
269 posts
4,811 battles

wrong quote, ignore

Edited by Beatty_10
mistaken quote

[SFROG]
Members
269 posts
4,811 battles
15 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Working as intended!

Adding currencies is another way to take your money.  Every conversion between currencies obfuscates the real costs of items.  Case in point: the 400 coal you get is worth barely more than 1 signal but it’s four hundred coal. Don’t you feel good about getting ripped off?

2. Set low-value and annoying-to-calculate exchange rate (pretend 137.29 Moly per coal)
  4. Watch suckers think they are getting something when you are actually taking it away (3,000 Moly = 21.9 coal = 1/10th of a signal)

That's what I was trying to say . . . 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,935 posts
3,895 battles

It's a sign that WG doesn't have a lot of faith in the game's continued success. This is the kind of move you make when a game is in decline to try and get players invested when interest appears to be drying up.

• Cool 1

Members
20,696 posts
5,599 battles
53 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

These simple minded people can't handle any change, even if it's actually beneficial to them.  I always wonder How They survive in the corporate world.  

I'll be honest, I wonder how anybody survives in the corporate world. I climbed more ladders than I ever wanted (usually carrying shingles lol) by the time I was 30. :Smile_teethhappy:

[ADR]
Members
4,340 posts
13,998 battles

Original post deleted as it has no bearing.

*edit,  After reading the Dev Blog about it.  these aren't even currencies, they are just tokes from Ranked and Clan Battles, similar to the Jolly Rodgers,  you are just now getting a "currency" looking thing for your reward that you can eventually trade in for whatever they are offering in those categories.   There are no Exchange rates and the Only way to get them is thru Ranked and Clan Battles.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,748 posts
4,512 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

It's fine. Steel means you earned it, Coal so that you don't have to use 750k XP on a ship. Besides it could be worst.

It's not.  There were very easy to think of ways to use already existing parts of the UI to accomplish what Coal, Steel and the Arsenal were added to do.

I would much rather the core product platform was further developed and improved than have shiny new things added to distract me from the fact that the core product platform could really use further development and improvement.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,935 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Fishrokk said:

It's not.  There were very easy to think of ways to use already existing parts of the UI to accomplish what Coal, Steel and the Arsenal were added to do.

I would much rather the core product platform was further developed and improved than have shiny new things added to distract me from the fact that the core product platform could really use further development and improvement.

My feeling as well.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,748 posts
4,512 battles
1 hour ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

We've had this discussion before.

The benefit that was provided =/= the mechanism it was provided through.

Nobody is arguing against the benefit.

[IRISH]
Members
477 posts
7,645 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 1:40 PM, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Well they obviously cant, thats why they are here during the middle of the workday, complaining of getting more fREE stuff..well you know..for FREE!.

So let me get this straight...ships, camos, etc that you used to have to buy with REAL money are now free to earn and get with the exchange of these new currencies...and somehow this is a bad thing? What am I missing here?

You play the game..you have fun..you get ever more cool free stuff within the game for FREE!!!...and somehow this makes them greedy?

Thats absolutely insane to complain about!!!

[WOLF9]
Members
7,587 posts
3,228 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 1:07 PM, n00bot said:

Working as intended!

I said as much when it was introduced a couple months ago.  I have since changed my mind. 

• Using standard conversion, ships are considerably cheaper in the Arsenal than in the Premium Shop
  • Using Coupons, Economic Signals can be had for half the nominal value in the Shop
  • Combat signals are available, period.
  • Bonus camos are available, period.
  • Special Upgrades are available without having to wait years for an SC drop.
  • The kicker?  all of the above is FREE.  No $$ or Doubloons involved.

So they add a new currency?  So what?  I ignore Steel now.  I can ignore a couple more.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
7,587 posts
3,228 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 2:02 PM, Fishrokk said:

The benefit that was provided =/= the mechanism it was provided through.

Let's talk about the mechanism.  You advocate using existing currencies.  Every one of the pre-Arsenal currencies are inter-convertible and essentially can be obtained for $$. (Elite Commander XP is probably the furthest de-coupled.)

Coal cannot be obtained for Doubloons or $$.  Free items can be metered and whales can't defeat the metering.  Coal is obtained by playing and selecting a Coal-yielding container or mission.  I like that.  Seems fair to me.  To you?