You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

British DD Balance Changes (WOWS Dev Blog)

26 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles

FB link not provided as FB is blocked on the machine I'm using ATM.

Summary (NATURALLY THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE):

Torpedo options are now single/ripple fire and NARROW spread. (Just about everyone wanted this, and they listened.)

Changes to numerous ships' gun firing angles.

Wakeful #3 turret no longer turns 360.

Icarus torpedo reload down from 133 to 120 seconds.

Jervis #3 turret now turns 360. Dev Blog states ability for second TT to rotate completely has been removed; this may be a typo and refer to turret.

Lightning - Main battery reload now 4.5 sec (down from 5), rotation rate 20 degrees/sec, and ALL TURRETS TURN 360.

Jutland - Turrets 1 to 3 ALL turn 360, FCS mod 2 now available; basic hull range down to 11.37km, 12.51km upgraded.

Daring - All turrets turn 360 (pretty sure this is ahistorical). FCS mod 2 available. Maximum range 12.78km down from 13.78

Speed and acceleration settings now similar to those of British cruisers, i.e. quick off the mark, less bleed-off in turns. Engine mod 2 now unavailable. 

No other changes considered to torpedoes.

SMOKE: Emission time down from 15 to 10 seconds (sounds like you'll have to be moving slower).

DURATION is now FORTY SECONDS.

However, cooldown is 80 seconds standard, 60 seconds premium, and you get 5/6 charges. 

This smoke change has the potential to bring a whole new tactical meta for a line of destroyers. Let the discussions begin. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,284 posts
4,970 battles

what is new  now,compared to the other thread of the  british DD changes?

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,749 posts
3,923 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

what is new  now,compared to the other thread of the  british DD changes?

Nothing

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
2 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

we have another post for this as well. Dont know if you want to continue using that.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/167444-dev-blog-st-rn-dd-balance-changes/

I confess I completely missed that one. Looked for it, even. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,050 posts
10,122 battles
5 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I don't know why they even bother with smoke on ships anymore.

Good question.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
6 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I don't know why they even bother with smoke on ships anymore.

Just now, HazardDrake said:

Good question.

Because not every game that the lower tier ships will see will have radar cruisers, because radar cruisers can run themselves out of charges or be killed, and because being able to detect a destroyer and being able to shoot well and quickly enough to kill it are two different things.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,749 posts
3,923 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I confess I completely missed that one. Looked for it, even. :Smile_facepalm:

Don't beat yourself up about it, it wasn't a very popular thread went to the other pages relatively quickly. 

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
3 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Don't beat yourself up about it

LOL. I'm beating myself up about it because I'm one of those strange people who's wildly enthusiastic about British DDs (ever since I won Vampire), and I thought I'd looked hard enough. 

These ships have been promised in 0.7.9, so this is the last chance they have for any serious, major changes. I have no doubt they've been played out on WG's hidden test servers, but we will have to see what happens when the WG-CC's get them for the second round of open testing. I'd been thinking about what they would need in terms of captain skills, but I think the best build is probably going to be similar to that of a British cruiser - Priority Target (or Preventive Maintenance per taste), Last Stand, Superintendent (for even more smoke charges, given the greatly shortened cooldown), Concealment... and after that, you're looking at things like smokescreen expert, vigilance, and (at Tier IX/X) IFHE, unless they do another tweak which fixes the need for that.

The thought which comes first to my mind is that they have balanced this meta mostly around the higher tiers, but what happens low down should be very interesting indeed.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,941 posts
3,895 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Because not every game that the lower tier ships will see will have radar cruisers, because radar cruisers can run themselves out of charges or be killed, and because being able to detect a destroyer and being able to shoot well and quickly enough to kill it are two different things.

The question is rooted in "Because WG has shown nothing but contempt for concealment, and players whine about it constantly, so why bother with smoke when it will just create more whining and result in radar being crammed into more lower tiers?"

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The question is rooted in "Because WG has shown nothing but contempt for concealment, and players whine about it constantly, so why bother with smoke when it will just create more whining and result in radar being crammed into more lower tiers?"

Let's talk about that again when we see a T6 radar ship.

[LHG]
Members
1,318 posts
5,458 battles

The smoke sounds like something a torpedo-focused DD could use to simply break LoS for an escape, but it is on a gun-focused line.

I thought the playstyle of this Brit DD line was figured out, but now I'm not so sure.

[SF-A]
Members
2,974 posts
6,097 battles

Wait.. so the guns are more comfortable, and the smoke is in little puffs? Have they crossed KM and PA smoke?

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
Just now, pewpewpew42 said:

Wait.. so the guns are more comfortable, and the smoke is in little puffs? Have they crossed KM and PA smoke?

That was what I was thinking. The torpedoes are also going to be far more usable than in the initial round of testing the WG-CC's showed us, so let us see what results.

13 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

I thought the playstyle of this Brit DD line was figured out, but now I'm not so sure.

Agree. I read the list of changes last night and realised instantaneously that essentially everything had changed. IMO the playstyle is going to be unlike anything seen before.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,941 posts
3,895 battles
37 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's starting to feel like an inevitability. I guess we'll see.

Beta Testers
149 posts
5,242 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

My suggestion is save some money on programming costs and just trash the radar module.  Then make all DD with 9 KM detection.  It washes out to what we have now and saves developers money.  Win win.

Soryu

[MIA-E]
Beta Testers
1,160 posts
10,828 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

FB link not provided as FB is blocked on the machine I'm using ATM.

Summary (NATURALLY THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE):

Torpedo options are now single/ripple fire and NARROW spread. (Just about everyone wanted this, and they listened.)

Changes to numerous ships' gun firing angles.

Wakeful #3 turret no longer turns 360.

Icarus torpedo reload down from 133 to 120 seconds.

Jervis #3 turret now turns 360. Dev Blog states ability for second TT to rotate completely has been removed; this may be a typo and refer to turret.

Lightning - Main battery reload now 4.5 sec (down from 5), rotation rate 20 degrees/sec, and ALL TURRETS TURN 360.

Jutland - Turrets 1 to 3 ALL turn 360, FCS mod 2 now available; basic hull range down to 11.37km, 12.51km upgraded.

Daring - All turrets turn 360 (pretty sure this is ahistorical). FCS mod 2 available. Maximum range 12.78km down from 13.78

Speed and acceleration settings now similar to those of British cruisers, i.e. quick off the mark, less bleed-off in turns. Engine mod 2 now unavailable. 

No other changes considered to torpedoes.

SMOKE: Emission time down from 15 to 10 seconds (sounds like you'll have to be moving slower).

DURATION is now FORTY SECONDS.

However, cooldown is 80 seconds standard, 60 seconds premium, and you get 5/6 charges. 

This smoke change has the potential to bring a whole new tactical meta for a line of destroyers. Let the discussions begin. 

Automatic Teller Machine?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,941 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, RobertViktor68 said:

"At The Moment".

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
7 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

"New secret hack, use Automatic Tellers to browse the internet!"  :Smile_teethhappy:

@KiyoSenkan had it right.

[SYN]
Members
14,847 posts
11,306 battles

lol... Like Daring needed 360d turrets, because that firepower and stealth weren't ridiculous enough already.

[SYN]
Members
14,847 posts
11,306 battles

You know, I've been thinking

• RNDD has RNCL acceleration and no longer has access to Propulsion Modification 2 (-50% time to accelerate from 0 to 6knots)
  • RNDD has Smoke and Hydro
  • RNDD has extremely good firepower
  • RNDD has extremely good concealment
  • Hardly no one uses TASM1 (+50% to assured acquisition range, +20% to torpedo detection range)

Why not remove access to CSM1 (Concealment Mod) for RNDD?

I mean, it's not like it doesn't have the toolset to do what it is designed to do, even if it has 10% worse concealment than it can potentially have.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

You know, I've been thinking

• RNDD has RNCL acceleration and no longer has access to Propulsion Modification 2 (-50% time to accelerate from 0 to 6knots)
  • RNDD has Smoke and Hydro
  • RNDD has extremely good firepower
  • RNDD has extremely good concealment
  • Hardly no one uses TASM1 (+50% to assured acquisition range, +20% to torpedo detection range)

Why not remove access to CSM1 (Concealment Mod) for RNDD?

I mean, it's not like it doesn't have the toolset to do what it is designed to do, even if it has 10% worse concealment than it can potentially have.

I see people are already asking for nerfs for this supposedly hopeless, useless line of destroyers...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,941 posts
3,895 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I see people are already asking for nerfs for this supposedly hopeless, useless line of destroyers...

You're trying to use his post as a justification that it's "actually OP"? Because it isn't. He's just ruminating on ways to better enforce the play style WG seems to want by forcing them to take a module that supports it, and locking them out of a module that is counter to it.