Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
panzerlancer

USS Abner Read Wreckage Discovered

7 comments in this topic

[NCBL]
Members
16 posts
3,845 battles

Discovery of wreckage from the Fletcher-class US destroyer, USS Abner Read, was reported about 16 hours ago. It hit a Japanese mine in 1943 off the coast of Alaska, having its stern torn off and killing 70 of its crew. But it didn't sink.

More details at  https://www.livescience.com/63341-wwii-shipwreck-abner-read-alaska.html

A better write-up is at https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180815124221.htm

Edited by panzerlancer
  • Cool 5

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,568 posts
4,182 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 5:14 AM, Bianchi4Me said:

Amazing that they lost the entire stern and still got the ship into port.

download.jpeg

tumblr_mtxewfGuq61sacyeso2_250.gif

[W_K_A]
Members
64 posts
300 battles

Murphy_01.jpg

Ironic the same thing happened to USS Murphy, only it was her bow that was severed after she collided with a tanker 

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, Cruiser_SanJuan said:

I saw that in, of all places, NOAA's website.

You'd be surprised. NOAA just ain't watching hurricanes. A big part of that "agency"   actually a branch of the US uniformed Armed services" is finding and tracking submarines (those ELE machines with all the SLBM"S) . Big chunk of what NOAA does is as top secret as it gets. What they released is judged against what it might reveal to enemies about US submarine Satellite and other  detection abilities. Why we didn't see much of anything about the really awful underwater spread of Deep Horizon oil spill and Obama understating it?  It would have revealed how well the US (NOAA/Navy) can see underwater and though thermoclines . Which is where enemy boomers can hide. I Used to work in the same building with some of  them up at Suitland , MD, (DC) and had the same smoking areas( the top secret stuff was off in some other buildings). Good people working there .

Edited by Strachwitz666
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this