Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Unabletony

Yamato model help needed

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,996 posts
3,919 battles

I'm building a paper 1/200 scale Yamato, in her built form. The parts I'm having trouble with is making the masts for the 155s and main mast, cause they're wire. However, there is a slight, perhaps, problem with the main mast. The 90 degree leg sits on a sort of pedestal, here:
 

Spoiler

item_51498129IMS-70012B.jpg

Or it doesn't, as shown:
 

Spoiler

item_60504664IMS-70011C.jpg

The other issue is the masts on top of the 155mm guns. I've already sort of conquered the front, but can anyone show me the position of the legs of the rear gun?

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,651
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,995 posts
8 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

Yes, but even then, some of WG's models aren't entirely accurate. It's a good base for starting, so I thank you for that.

Given that Yamato is on the bottom of the ocean and WG spends a lot of time and effort sending research staff abroad to study blueprints and historical documents, this is probably the most accurate interactive model you're going to get... unless you have VR and about 50 dosh to blow on this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/649620/VR_Battleship_YAMATO/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,996 posts
3,919 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

Given that Yamato is on the bottom of the ocean and WG spends a lot of time and effort sending research staff abroad to study blueprints and historical documents, this is probably the most accurate interactive model you're going to get... unless you have VR and about 50 dosh to blow on this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/649620/VR_Battleship_YAMATO/

The Kure model also seems like a good one, but actual Yamato blueprints would probably be the best source, but seeing how they burned most of them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,651
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,995 posts
1 minute ago, Unabletony said:

The Kure model also seems like a good one, but actual Yamato blueprints would probably be the best source, but seeing how they burned most of them...

Yup, it's like trying to make a 100% accurate 17th century soup, all you're going to have available is modern ingredients, so the best you can hope for is a close approximation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,996 posts
3,919 battles
43 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Yup, it's like trying to make a 100% accurate 17th century soup, all you're going to have available is modern ingredients, so the best you can hope for is a close approximation

Seems like even both of Janus' Anatomy of the Ship seem to contradict each other, with the older version having the step..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,651
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,995 posts
2 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

Seems like even both of Janus' Anatomy of the Ship seem to contradict each other, with the older version having the step..

Well what year were they written in? That is probably a huge part of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,996 posts
3,919 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

Well what year were they written in? That is probably a huge part of it

My friend who I see reading this right now has the older version, and I have the newer version, which is 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116
[PVE]
Members
591 posts
5,166 battles

OP, it looks like you are comparing a pre-refit Yamato (before 1944) to a post refit Yamato (in 1944). I would pick one and narrow in on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,996 posts
3,919 battles
8 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

OP, it looks like you are comparing a pre-refit Yamato (before 1944) to a post refit Yamato (in 1944). I would pick one and narrow in on it.

Both mast legs should still be the same, no reason to be altered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116
[PVE]
Members
591 posts
5,166 battles
2 hours ago, Unabletony said:

Both mast legs should still be the same, no reason to be altered.

The RL mast probably was the same, but there is more structure around the aft leg in the pre-refit version so the model part is different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×