You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wash0ut

Raising your eaglet: quick tips for fresh Aigle players

3 comments in this topic

[D_INC]
[D_INC]
Members
107 posts
14,100 battles

This isn't a review, a how-to-play guide or a recommendation for a particular 19-point commander build. But as someone who recently bought an Aigle from the arsenal with coal I think I do have a couple insights that might be helpful to someone who has just taken the plunge.

1) Got coal to spare? Consider getting the Engine Boost Modification 1 from the arsenal. Aigle's engine boost is special, giving a 20% boost to top speed rather than the usual 8%, meaning your top speed goes from 36 knots to 43.2 knots (without a Sierra Mike signal flag) when it is active. EBM1 increases the duration of this boost from two minutes to three. You can cover a lot of ocean in that extra minute or, say, have it active while you are smoked up to give faster forward and backward juking movement to throw off blind fire and torpedoes and still have plenty left to speed away as it dissipates. EBM1 takes the second upgrade slot which displaces (the usual for DDs) Propulsion Modification 1 upgrade. This trade can be mitigated by way of...

2) Initial commander skills. An arsenal-purchased Aigle comes with a three-point commander. With an in-game or premium shop purchase you can recruit a three-pointer with 25 doubloons. If you don't have a more experienced French cruiser or battleship commander to spare and re-spec this can make for a rough start. Three points gets you Priority Target or Preventive Maintenance and then Last Stand. Having LS or both LS and PM means you likely won't miss the PM1 upgrade if you took EBM1 instead. Given how hosed you can be by the loss of rudder control or engine power and the likelihood of this happening under fire, I think LS is definitely the highest priority for the first two-point skill. However, Aigle is really begging for Expert Marksman as well to remedy it's slow gun traverse, and EM is particularly effective here with the 2.5 degree per second bonus coming from squeaking just within the gun caliber threshold. With 15,000 elite commander XP/free XP you can jump start your commander to five points and pick up EM, so if you can afford this consider it. I ground out these points and was really pleased with the difference EM makes.

• Cool 2

[VOP]
Members
365 posts
7,107 battles

Thank you for the information and suggestions on skills to pick. I just got mine yesterday but have not played her yet. Thought I would read up on her a bit...+1

[D_INC]
[D_INC]
Members
107 posts
14,100 battles

You are welcome and thank you for the upboat!

I thought that people like me - who didn't get one through missions earlier this year - will be looking at it in the arsenal and feeling flush with coal from the event. LWM has this line in her review: "Most premium ships have a paywall. Some premium ships have a skill wall. Aigle has a patience wall." This was something that I hoped might get somebody over that wall.