You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Weather Front Wednesdays - The Cyclone

26 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,049 posts
6,593 battles

Image result for destroyer in rough seas world war 2

*pictured - HMS Duke of York fighting rough seas and gale force winds in the North Atlantic (1943)

When the cyclone hits the fleet during battle, how do you adjust your gameplay?

Visibility and spotting become a challenge for both fleets as they are still expected to complete the objective of the game.

In addition, communications between the fleet becomes disrupted as spotting information is disrupted and intel gathered doesn't make it through to the entire fleet.

Often times, only you are the one that is able to face off against the enemy vessel alone.

When the mother nature unleashes her fury, do you change up your battle plan or continue on with the your current tactics?

"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly." - John F. Kennendy, US Navy

#weatherfrontwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

Members
7,723 posts
8,041 battles

Hate, hate, HATE cyclones. I don't personally know anyone who thinks they bring anything good to the game.

The only thing you can do is go towards where you last saw a red, and hope against hope something bigger and better off than you doesnt suddenly appear.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

During the cyclone I try to group up with my teammates more. That way we can support each other better. Because your looking for close engagements without long range support. So the only way to support your teammates is to get close to them. 

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles

I generally don't do much different with Ryujo because my tactics already mean I am shadowing the enemy. At most, it means that I get much closer but I am not too sure if it helps my team. While I can see the enemy, I am not sure if my team will have visual on them but knowing where they are beats nothing.

Ryuujou.(Kantai.Collection).full.1701357.jpg

• Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
4,361 battles

I've got Murphy as my 1st mate. If I have the enemy on the ropes & just waiting for the guns to reload for the Coupe De Grace visibility will drop & he gets away. If I need 15 more sec for my heal to cool down visibility is increasing. Never fails... 

Honestly this a very subjective question. Depends on the ship I am in & my relative health state. Generally speaking I will hedge my bets a bit & be less agressive assuming there is more than one enemy ship in the area. Instead of steaming straight at them I will do so at an angle not only to keep my AOB low but also so that hopefully only one ship will pop into range at once. 

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,045 posts
14,749 battles

Yeah I absolutely hate them happening right the middle of a battle if you're gonna do it you should do in the 1st 5 minutes of the game then be done with them

It might have a lot of excitement instead of dread

• Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,966 battles

Streaming into a balled up enemy piece meal is a great way to throw the game.

Spotting is still vital during cyclone, even though your team might not be able to lock onto target. They can still use the spotting info to position themselves in order to take out enemies that are isolated.

Attackers should use the cyclone duration to pick off isolated enemy ships, especially the juicy isolated BBs. Ships with torpdoes can do great damage during cyclone, especially torpedo equipped cruisers. Cyclone gives you enough cover to approach capital ships. If spotting info is plenty, a faster ship can choose to approach the enemy from behind their turret facing or some place unexpected even in open water.

Cyclone is also a great time for come backs, the losing side should ball up, then engage enemies one by one using cyclone as cover. Start with the ships closest, stopping at a distance allowing you to lock onto your intended target, but as far as possible from targets you wish to hide from. Think of it as a smoke cloud, people outside can't see in, and great mischief can be done to the enemy within the vision range. 

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 2

[WSP]
Beta Testers
73 posts
2,867 battles

Hate them entirely, Feels like WG is trying to tell players they have been playing to long and need to take a break when they come in. If I am in a fast ship, I try to group up, if im in something slow, I just point my ship towards my friendlies and then go get started on my laundry or something, because there is absolutely nothing more I can usually contribute during a cyclone in a slow ship.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CK5]
Members
872 posts
7,624 battles

I  don't like cyclones because they disproportionately affect cruisers, especially cruisers that rely on long-range shooting to do well or even survive.  DDs are hardly affected by an 8km visibility window and BBs have the armor and hitpoints to survive bumping an enemy ship at close range.  Cruisers are screwed when they suddenly discover an enemy BB at 8km.  If a player has the bad luck to play a CL in a match in which a cyclone appears, he finds he has a much less effective ship.   

Edited by PrairiePlayer
  • Cool 1

Members
1,842 posts
5,759 battles

The Cyclones are great bring another whole dimension to the game. We need more weather events. If you can not handle weather events then your ship needs a new Captain.:cap_horn::Smile_child:

Edited by Raven114
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[NOBUL]
Members
333 posts
3,568 battles

In my DDs, I make sure to stay alert because who knows what you'd run into.

In my CAs, I am a bit more passive because anything I run into will spot me in that 8km window. Running into a DD isn't that bad, but suddenly being spotted by a BB while broadside and without torpedoes is a death sentence.

In my BBs, I just must be careful not to confront a DD out of the blue, because 8km or closer and torpedoes don't mix well for BB drivers.

In my CVs (how few battles with a cyclone in them I have), I try to spot all the ships and keep the most skilled or threatening ones spotted all throughout the cyclone for my team to be aware and (maybe even) launch shells their way.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
18,281 posts
18,863 battles
2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Hate, hate, HATE cyclones. I don't personally know anyone who thinks they bring anything good to the game.

The only thing you can do is go towards where you last saw a red, and hope against hope something bigger and better off than you doesnt suddenly appear.

I hate, hate, hate the whines about cyclones.  It's boring as hell to have to play every frickin' single battle in perfect weather on perfectly calm seas. 

But I also hate that WG toned down the visual component of cyclones.  There are some maps where there can be a cyclone in progress and you have no visual way to know it.  There aren't sheets of rain hitting the screen (aka the window of your ship's bridge).  You can see terrain out to the horizon.  There's no fog at all.  Ships suddenly become magically invisible at shorter ranges.

Back when cyclones were first released, you could NOT see terrain out to the horizon.  You could only see the terrain within your visual range (i.e. 8 km).  (It might have been 6km when first released, but the principle is the same.)  When first released, beyond your spotting range, everything was a thick fog.  And even ships on the edge of your spotting range started to become less visible in the fog.  It was GREAT!!!  

Now, cyclones are boring where the reduced visibility is only a piece of data, not something that is visual into which you can immerse yourself.  

Furthermore,  WoWS maps are too boring and similar without incorporating weather effects.  IMO, the maps need MORE and greater variety of weather effects, not less.

• Cool 3

[FGNE]
Members
483 posts
2,772 battles

I’m a Cruiser main, and I love cyclones!

To me they promote team play; whenever a cyclone appears I actively promote for the fleet to form battle groups, that way when we engage the enemy we usually have the advantage of numbers and end up overpowering whatever we find.

• Cool 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,974 posts
6,097 battles
7 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I  don't like cyclones because they disproportionately affect cruisers, especially cruisers that rely on long-range shooting to do well or even survive.  DDs are hardly affected by an 8km visibility window and BBs have the armor and hitpoints to survive bumping an enemy ship at close range.  Cruisers are screwed when they suddenly discover an enemy BB at 8km.  If a player has the bad luck to play a CL in a match in which a cyclone appears, he finds he has a much less effective ship.   

Yes but...

French cruisers have the speed to flee (har har)

American and Russian cruisers get radar

British cruisers have smoke to ensure a getaway

Yeah we get piped if caught off-guard, but if played well, you can still contribute.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
735 posts
13,616 battles

I go where I think I can fight people one at a time. This lets me duel and get massive damage and decide battles. As a CV, I go after targets with heavy AA in the cyclone so that if the battle extends past the cyclone, their AA won't be in the way of victory

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

Unable to help a teammate in a gunfight because you're just 1km behind in a retreating fight.

Unable to help a teammate with AA (just group up guys, just group up!) because 3km plane-spotting (also thanks for AA speccing to >7km range...) is awful.

Unable to help myself because being a Mogami stuck in an 8km cage fight with multiple battleships is pointless.

Unable to understand why WG like the mechanic.

• Bad 1

Members
5,121 posts
5,949 battles
10 hours ago, Crucis said:

I hate, hate, hate the whines about cyclones.  It's boring as hell to have to play every frickin' single battle in perfect weather on perfectly calm seas. 

But I also hate that WG toned down the visual component of cyclones.  There are some maps where there can be a cyclone in progress and you have no visual way to know it.  There aren't sheets of rain hitting the screen (aka the window of your ship's bridge).  You can see terrain out to the horizon.  There's no fog at all.  Ships suddenly become magically invisible at shorter ranges.

Back when cyclones were first released, you could NOT see terrain out to the horizon.  You could only see the terrain within your visual range (i.e. 8 km).  (It might have been 6km when first released, but the principle is the same.)  When first released, beyond your spotting range, everything was a thick fog.  And even ships on the edge of your spotting range started to become less visible in the fog.  It was GREAT!!!  

Now, cyclones are boring where the reduced visibility is only a piece of data, not something that is visual into which you can immerse yourself.  

Furthermore,  WoWS maps are too boring and similar without incorporating weather effects.  IMO, the maps need MORE and greater variety of weather effects, not less.

I'm not sure when, but WG has largely removed the old "fog of war" that used to exist. It's almost like they slowly implemented the fog remover mods into the vanilla client, though I'm not really sure as to why. I know you've spoken about it before. Thinking back, it did add a different dynamic to battles, and it's removal could perhaps be one reason why high tiers are so deadly. If you can see clearly out to 30km, then it's not hard to hit stuff.

A good example of what the game used to look like with the 'fog' is here in Yuro's "How to Indianapolis" video.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing something like that fog/haze back. It might help out a few of the current problems at certain tiers. It would definitely improve the immersive-ness of cyclones.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
2,282 posts
19,607 battles

With the new aiming circle thingy (whatever it's called) you can actually hit ships from very far away if your team has them spotted at all...not reliably every time but quite often & if you're in a fast spamming cruiser it's all good.

The question really is situational to ship type you're in & health as stated above but now w/the circle it has become a completely different game...any team w/out a DD against a team w/one is screwed as a DD can spot out a BB or even a non radar cruiser & anybody on the team w/the gun range to reach it can stay perfectly safe from being detected while raining death on the spotted ship.

I probably shouldn't have posted that as many may not even be aware of it & now they will all be focusing me when I'm the unlucky spotted ship.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
18,281 posts
18,863 battles
4 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I'm not sure when, but WG has largely removed the old "fog of war" that used to exist. It's almost like they slowly implemented the fog remover mods into the vanilla client, though I'm not really sure as to why. I know you've spoken about it before. Thinking back, it did add a different dynamic to battles, and it's removal could perhaps be one reason why high tiers are so deadly. If you can see clearly out to 30km, then it's not hard to hit stuff.

A good example of what the game used to look like with the 'fog' is here in Yuro's "How to Indianapolis" video.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing something like that fog/haze back. It might help out a few of the current problems at certain tiers. It would definitely improve the immersive-ness of cyclones.

I watched most of that video.  It was nice to see the old fog that was part of cyclones way back when.  It definitely made cyclones more immersive.

Honestly, fog remover mods should be banned.  They change the conditions of game play and create an unfair advantage for those using them by making things easier to see, when it is the game's intent that things NOT be easy to see in cyclones.

[SALVO]
Members
18,281 posts
18,863 battles
6 hours ago, mofton said:

Unable to help a teammate in a gunfight because you're just 1km behind in a retreating fight.

Unable to help a teammate with AA (just group up guys, just group up!) because 3km plane-spotting (also thanks for AA speccing to >7km range...) is awful.

Unable to help myself because being a Mogami stuck in an 8km cage fight with multiple battleships is pointless.

Unable to understand why WG like the mechanic.

Mofton, if you're unable to understand why people like cyclones, you've done the written equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and said "LA LA LA!" to further your inability to hear.

But I'll try to explain it again.

First of all, unlike maps in WoT, maps in WoWS are much more boring and limited due to various things, the most obvious of which being that land maps can use differing elevations to create more interesting maps.  OTOH, in WoWS the playing surface of the maps is flat as a pancake.  And always will be.  And the only variation in maps is where islands get placed, and what they look like.  Thus, to make WoWS maps more interesting, another element is required, weather.

Frankly, I think that there should be all sorts of weather included on our maps, not just cyclones.  Note that I'm including night time as a "weather condition", same as the military does.  There should be cyclones, other levels of storms, night battles, and so on and so on.

As for the first 3 complaints, too bad.  If the spotting range was increased by 1-2 km, your first and third complaint would remain.  

Personally, I don't  think that CVs should be allowed in cyclones because their planes shouldn't be able to fly.  But that would mess with MM, perhaps.  Or it would make CVs completely useless during cyclones, and of course the CV players would be bored and very unhappy.  Then again, if cyclones were truly accurately represented, there should be large waves and combat should be nearly impossible, particularly for DDs.  Ship speeds would be greatly reduced, and so on.  But this is still  a game, so those things are conveniently ignored (and understandably so).

Regardless, a heavy storm has to have some effects on game play.  The ones you mention in your complains are just some of them.  Deal with it.  The game is much better for not having battles always occurring in boring, perfect weather all the time.

• Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,912 posts
5,442 battles

I would prefer an effect more like that of operation Hermes. In the current cyclone, there is a wall of invisibility at 8km across the whole map; in Hermes, ships in the weather system are seen, albeit intermittently and poorly. The latter seems a little more realistic to me (I know, I know, this is an arcade game rather than a simulator, but still...) 

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,333 posts
8,949 battles

Cyclone is an answer to making campfest players grow some balls.

Normally I'd say we should have cyclones happening at high tiers all the time, for basically entire match, but there are two major issues:

1) Radar only extends the acquisition range for its user, not the team

2) Plane detection drops to 2km during cyclone, meaning even Worchester can't fight off CV sorties effectively.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DIEBL]
Members
519 posts
5,949 battles

Charge in and let them have it, doesnt matter what ship I’m in (don’t play CVs or American cruisers much).  I’m always happy to see a cyclone pop up.

Now wr just need battle events like Pirate Attack, Moving Icebergs, and Dolphin Crossings.

• Cool 1