Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SyndicatedINC

Is anyone else feeling burnt out?

99 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,219
[OPG]
Supertester
2,029 posts
11,361 battles

Curious what the general community feel is about this.   Is anyone else feeling burnt out?  I know that some CCs have stated as much especially in regards to Tier 10 due to the rapid fire, Clan Battles, Ranked, KotS, Clan Battles, Legendary/Epic modules missions, Higher Go Navy points, and now another ranked all at tier 10, forcing an insane amount of play at a single tier to participate in everything.  Personally it seems to me a more over-all burnt out feeling.  The events in this game normally felt fairly well paced.   Constant, but well-paced.   Lately it feels like not just rapid fire but massively over lapping. 



Currently we have clan battles season on going, which due to MM changes, shorter season and server issues requires participants to be active during a greater portion of the available time slots as a percentage of total time than in the previous 2 seasons.   On top of that the new Legendary module missions have come out, many of which are defacto necessary for Clan Battles and upcoming ranked season (again at tier 10), so grinding these out becomes high priority and they can be huge time sinks for ships you don't get to play in clan battles.   All this on top of a (cancelled) Ring CC event, the launch of the new US light cruiser line only a month ago, with a month til the release of an entire new line (UK DD), all while there are 2 months of daily missions, a special team vs team event, and a new captain campaign released, plus 4 PTS weekends, several premiums sold with special missions to play them in game, several more coming out very soon, as well as the re-release of Narai operations and the OP of the week missions, the Nuevo/Boise missions combo, as well as these Tour of duty missions, plus this weekend is  Corgi/Pirate captain weekend.   While this new line, another ranked season both loom on the horizon, not to mention the relaunch of the Ring event and next KotS.  It makes getting excited for the Birthday event difficult to say the least.  

 

WG I appreciate the constant flow of events to keep the game interesting and keep players interested, logging in, and playing, the free stuff is most appreciated and the events are usually fun and well done.  However it feels like over-kill when trying to participate doesn't mean logging in, playing and having fun, but logging in and checking one of the 40-50+ missions/campaigns/events ongoing and trying to see which ships/modes you need to play.  I understand the desire to restrict or encourage missions/events to certain ships, nations, classes, and tiers, however it feels that this flood is killing enthusiasm for the game and turning fun into a chore.   

 

I mean right now we are only a short way away from The Stalingrad release, the most amazing reward ship to date, the first truly unique TX premium in game, and yet most serious players I speak with who have devoted so much time to earn the thing can barely raise their voice in excitement as to they are simply too burned out to give a care.  If anything it just means more TX games they now HAVE to play instead of choose to play.   

 

In short restricted missions and events are fine, major activity based events and such are fine.  Competitive events are fine.   New content is amazing.   Community Events are outstanding.  All of them at once and overlapping and restricted tier/nation/class such that one needs a chart to figure out the most efficient way to play every day.  While I realize that the goal is to encourage folks to play as much as possible as often as possible.  Realistically it would create less burnout to have say Weekly Challenges instead of daily.   Instead of earn 250/500/1000 and 1100/1200/1300 daily,   Have it be: "Earn 2500/5000/10000 for Challenge 1 and 11000/12000/13000 for Challenge 2.   Likewise if there was a full update cycle (4 weeks) between the end of Clan Battles and the start of Ranked seasons, then special events and outside comps such as the Ring and KotS would be more exciting and less onerous.  If new premiums with missions synergized with the current ongoing campaigns, collections, and missions (such as the Hood and Duke of York collections/campaigns), it would breed more excitement for them.

 

Basically the old formula of 2-5 new things going on at any one point in time, long breaks between competitive events,  less restriction to tier/class/nation for major events or at least for large portions of major events,  and more freedom to accomplish things in weekly and monthly binges versus steady heavy daily time investment is what drew so many players and kept their interest.  Avoiding long stretches of no ongoing events is a good thing, but overload is simply the opposite end of that spectrum and just as poor a choice for player recruitment and especially retention.   Normally WG seemed to maintain the perfect balance but the past few months have been over the top.

 

  • Cool 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[MWM]
Supertester
295 posts
7,265 battles

I feel ya. With all the 'changes' WG has done as of late it's been a struggle to start the game, which is sad cause I do love the game.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
625
[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,045 posts
14,749 battles

I think they feel the ship is sinking and they need to keep people occupied and engaged but has become overwhelming and having the opposite effect

 Gimmicks always help them boost sales in the past so I think they're using the tried and true add more gimmicks to fix  Player retention but no matter how much lights and flashy stuff they  Add just makes the game worse and worse

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,737
[-K-]
Members
5,751 posts
9,793 battles

Yep, too much T10 of late.  Decent chance I won't even play Ranked this season because of it.

Also agree with your point of having more of a gap between competitive events.

That's why the Tour of Duty ship raffle is kinda nice, as it gets us to play ships (and tiers) that normally would have collected dust in port.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59
[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
359 posts
8,365 battles

It would go a long way to create more maps and spread out the events so that burn out is not as bad. I think saying tier 10 for everything is taxing the player base beyond the normal standards and I feel as a gamer the community is not there yet in terms of player base.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,780
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,419 posts
10,140 battles

I am rather burnt out on randoms so most of my play recently has been co-op.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
180 posts
5,725 battles

I'm still focused on grinding ships and I try to fit the events into that grind as best able. The German Strike has been good because it focuses me on Grinding that last bit of XP to purchase the Z-23 and Admiral Hipper. Then I'll be able to focus on other lines. I figure at this point I've ground 70% of the non-CV lines up to their historical maximum tier (which in most cases isn't Tier X).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[DIEBL]
Members
519 posts
5,949 battles

Burnt out after getting full loyalty for sharks, didnt even do the eagles portion.  Taking a slow break for other games til WoWs anniversary will get my steam back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,737
[-K-]
Members
5,751 posts
9,793 battles
10 minutes ago, Condor_Legion said:

It would go a long way to create more maps and spread out the events so that burn out is not as bad. I think saying tier 10 for everything is taxing the player base beyond the normal standards and I feel as a gamer the community is not there yet in terms of player base.

Yes, new maps are desperately needed.

If you're going to force us into playing a constant tier, at least add some tactical variety to spice it up a bit.

  • Cool 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
348
[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,072 battles

I'm not feeling too burnt out but I also came back to the game after 6 or 8 months of time away because I was feeling burnt out then, so I feel your pain.

What makes T10 so painful for me though is even when I don't take a T10 ship out, if I'm in T8 or T9 it feels like 90% of the time I'm in a T10 battle anyway.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
368
[ZIPPO]
Members
1,590 posts
3,603 battles

I've been burnt out since Duke of York event, I took a 2-3 month break after that. Since then I've been working on ship lines that appeal to me and if I complete a event, great, if I don't oh well

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
538
[WOLF2]
Members
2,356 posts
14,155 battles

Absolutely, 

To the point my little Hamster brain is saying "Why do I need to log in every day" and "what am I grinding for now?" to "these random games are becoming painful and unpredictable" and finally "Oh God - Make it STOP" :)

Weird event scheduling and getting throttled by my ISP force to me to play at horrible hours now … I've started reading forums mainly because of hi ping and lag issues so I can't play even if I wasn't burnt out :)

Can I get my money back? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,219
[OPG]
Supertester
2,029 posts
11,361 battles
1 minute ago, Psycodiver said:

I've been burnt out since Duke of York event, I took a 2-3 month break after that. Since then I've been working on ship lines that appeal to me and if I complete a event, great, if I don't oh well

That one was pretty brutal.  It has felt like a non stop ride since then....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
173
[SF-E]
Members
372 posts
10,938 battles
31 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

I know that some CCs have stated as much especially in regards to Tier 10 due to the rapid fire, Clan Battles, Ranked, KotS, Clan Battles, Legendary/Epic modules missions, Higher Go Navy points, and now another ranked all at tier 10, forcing an insane amount of play at a single tier to participate in everything. 

 

This.

 

I am tired of playing tier X. IMHO Tier X is the least fun of the tiers to play and is a tier that should be left on the shelf for a while. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
350
[WOLF2]
Members
1,160 posts
8,217 battles
12 minutes ago, Uther_cn said:

Agreed too much too fast as of late.

Yep.  Been a busy grind since early June.    

I do tend to mix up my goals, such as build up 19pt skippers, and still do the campaigns, ranked, CW, and reward grinds.

Thought I'd switch gears and try some ships that I haven't played in awhile - like DDs.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,569 posts
4,182 battles

Everybody gets burned out from time to time.  I got personally burnt out after Closed Beta long ago, so I missed the Nikolai and Gremy sales during that era.

If you're burned out, log off of the game and do some real-world fun.  See friends, meet with family, play with pets, try new foods, and do new things.

After you're recovered, come back to the game and enjoy it again.

After all, this is a game meant for your entertainment.  This isn't a second job :fish_aqua:.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[TBOW]
Members
257 posts
2,844 battles

I agree that we are alittle burnt out. Especially from the clan battles. Last Sunday my clan, while still new we have enough to get into CBS with some rentals including me. We won the first battle as they all went destroyers. Won the second one on points and then went to the third. We are a struggling clan with a mixture of new people with rentals and older people with fully upgraded ships. I guess some people had a bad day because we were alittle cranky. We were arguing alittle going into the battle and it boiled over. Mistakes were made by nearly everyone and while we fought well we lost. Everything boiled over and we got off for the night. We had, like most other clans been doing CBs every night we could on top of all the other listed things, not to mention the newer people trying to get permanent t10s for CBs with the older members helping everyone is frustrated. There’s so much to do in a 24 hours from go navy to campaigns to CBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Curious what the general community feel is about this.   Is anyone else feeling burnt out?  I know that some CCs have stated as much especially in regards to Tier 10 due to the rapid fire, Clan Battles, Ranked, KotS, Clan Battles, Legendary/Epic modules missions, Higher Go Navy points, and now another ranked all at tier 10, forcing an insane amount of play at a single tier to participate in everything.  Personally it seems to me a more over-all burnt out feeling.  The events in this game normally felt fairly well paced.   Constant, but well-paced.   Lately it feels like not just rapid fire but massively over lapping. 



Currently we have clan battles season on going, which due to MM changes, shorter season and server issues requires participants to be active during a greater portion of the available time slots as a percentage of total time than in the previous 2 seasons.   On top of that the new Legendary module missions have come out, many of which are defacto necessary for Clan Battles and upcoming ranked season (again at tier 10), so grinding these out becomes high priority and they can be huge time sinks for ships you don't get to play in clan battles.   All this on top of a (cancelled) Ring CC event, the launch of the new US light cruiser line only a month ago, with a month til the release of an entire new line (UK DD), all while there are 2 months of daily missions, a special team vs team event, and a new captain campaign released, plus 4 PTS weekends, several premiums sold with special missions to play them in game, several more coming out very soon, as well as the re-release of Narai operations and the OP of the week missions, the Nuevo/Boise missions combo, as well as these Tour of duty missions, plus this weekend is  Corgi/Pirate captain weekend.   While this new line, another ranked season both loom on the horizon, not to mention the relaunch of the Ring event and next KotS.  It makes getting excited for the Birthday event difficult to say the least.  

 

WG I appreciate the constant flow of events to keep the game interesting and keep players interested, logging in, and playing, the free stuff is most appreciated and the events are usually fun and well done.  However it feels like over-kill when trying to participate doesn't mean logging in, playing and having fun, but logging in and checking one of the 40-50+ missions/campaigns/events ongoing and trying to see which ships/modes you need to play.  I understand the desire to restrict or encourage missions/events to certain ships, nations, classes, and tiers, however it feels that this flood is killing enthusiasm for the game and turning fun into a chore.   

 

I mean right now we are only a short way away from The Stalingrad release, the most amazing reward ship to date, the first truly unique TX premium in game, and yet most serious players I speak with who have devoted so much time to earn the thing can barely raise their voice in excitement as to they are simply too burned out to give a care.  If anything it just means more TX games they now HAVE to play instead of choose to play.   

 

In short restricted missions and events are fine, major activity based events and such are fine.  Competitive events are fine.   New content is amazing.   Community Events are outstanding.  All of them at once and overlapping and restricted tier/nation/class such that one needs a chart to figure out the most efficient way to play every day.  While I realize that the goal is to encourage folks to play as much as possible as often as possible.  Realistically it would create less burnout to have say Weekly Challenges instead of daily.   Instead of earn 250/500/1000 and 1100/1200/1300 daily,   Have it be: "Earn 2500/5000/10000 for Challenge 1 and 11000/12000/13000 for Challenge 2.   Likewise if there was a full update cycle (4 weeks) between the end of Clan Battles and the start of Ranked seasons, then special events and outside comps such as the Ring and KotS would be more exciting and less onerous.  If new premiums with missions synergized with the current ongoing campaigns, collections, and missions (such as the Hood and Duke of York collections/campaigns), it would breed more excitement for them.

 

Basically the old formula of 2-5 new things going on at any one point in time, long breaks between competitive events,  less restriction to tier/class/nation for major events or at least for large portions of major events,  and more freedom to accomplish things in weekly and monthly binges versus steady heavy daily time investment is what drew so many players and kept their interest.  Avoiding long stretches of no ongoing events is a good thing, but overload is simply the opposite end of that spectrum and just as poor a choice for player recruitment and especially retention.   Normally WG seemed to maintain the perfect balance but the past few months have been over the top.

 

The way I avoid boredom/burnout is to never play one individual ship more than 3-4 times per night, and to own/grind through many different ships of many different types, of many different tiers, and of many different playstyles.

 

With that said, I don't own even a single Tier VIII yet. I could probably justify buying maybe a Tirpitz( I'm not that far off from Bismarck, and I watch a lot of pro videos featuring the ship) or an Alabama(already have a pretty decent captain for the line, and I could put him in Alabama to train him even faster) with my number of battles, but the problem is that I'm a cheapskate, and can't afford any.

 

Also, I don't have the largest amount of time for playing, anyways, so it will take me a while longer until I own a Tier VIII. Conceivably, my first Tier VIII will probably be either Bismarck or Amagi. I'm closer to Mogami than I am to them, but I have the feeling that I will be even worse in Mogami than I am in Myoko, and I don't have a spare IJN captain for the 155s, so I'd have to play 203 Mogami with my current IJN Cruiser captain, which is definitely not a very fun prospect.

Edited by legoboy0401

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[ADOPT]
Members
161 posts
3,102 battles

As a new(er) player, I am feeling quite burnt out after this clan battle season... but actually for a very different reason.

Clan battles showed me how great + fun this game can be when there are coordinated team play, which now makes random a huge frustration.  I used to come home after work and play random for hours, now I would rather do something else than roll the dice on randoms, but still look forward to coordinated play with my clanmates.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,219
[OPG]
Supertester
2,029 posts
11,361 battles
7 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Everybody gets burned out from time to time.  I got personally burnt out after Closed Beta long ago, so I missed the Nikolai and Gremy sales during that era.

If you're burned out, log off of the game and do some real-world fun.  See friends, meet with family, play with pets, try new foods, and do new things.

After you're recovered, come back to the game and enjoy it again.

After all, this is a game meant for your entertainment.  This isn't a second job :fish_aqua:.

Its not that I or others need to avoid the game right now, or that we don't enjoy it.  Rather as Malarkey_ said we enjoy the game yet are struggling to turn it on some days because it begins feeling like a second job.   Yes we can take a break, but WGing doesnt want us to do that, and honestly neither do we.  We WANT to be excited for the birthday celebration event, we want to be excited for the next ranked season and newest line and latest premium releases.   This isn't a whining thread, more a request/warning to WGing that their pacing is going to cause the opposite effect that they and their players desire.  That people are going to take a break from the game due to over saturation.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,569 posts
4,182 battles
Just now, SyndicatedINC said:

Its not that I or others need to avoid the game right now, or that we don't enjoy it.  Rather as Malarkey_ said we enjoy the game yet are struggling to turn it on some days because it begins feeling like a second job.   Yes we can take a break, but WGing doesnt want us to do that, and honestly neither do we.  We WANT to be excited for the birthday celebration event, we want to be excited for the next ranked season and newest line and latest premium releases.   This isn't a whining thread, more a request/warning to WGing that their pacing is going to cause the opposite effect that they and their players desire.  That people are going to take a break from the game due to over saturation.

I can understand that.

It probably depends how much one wants cosmetic items and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
358
[NGA]
Members
1,495 posts
8,668 battles

I'm feeling a little burned out as well. Of course that could be due to also juggling a 40-50 hour work week and writing fanfiction at the same time as trying to get WoWS stuff done too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

How much we play this game is entirely up to each one of us.

Blaming a second party for hours spent playing a video game is an interesting concept - but does nothing to mitigate the responsibility in the eyes of folks grounded in reality.

Feeling burnt out?  Its summer, man - go outside and play.

Any impulse to play video games beyond the point they are no longer fun is a sign one needs to take a good, hard look at what is important in one's life.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×