You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Dev Blog - Balance Changes

26 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
7,643 posts
7,924 battles

ST. Balance Changes.

Reload time of 203-mm/55 Mle guns for French cruisers Charles Martel (Tier VIII) and Saint Louis (Tier IX) has been reduced to 11 seconds. According out testing results, the initial increase to 12 seconds was excessive. Please notice that in 0.7.8 update researched French cruisers from tier VI will receive «Main Battery Reload Booster» consumable.

“Main Battery Reload Booster” characteristics:

Reload time of MB: -50%; 
Duration of work: 15 seconds;
Cooldown: 180 seconds for “Main Battery Reload Booster l” and 120 seconds for “Main Battery Reload Booster ll” for tier VI – VIII; 120 seconds for “Main Battery Reload Booster l” and 80 seconds for “Main Battery Reload Booster ll” for tier IX – X.
Charges: 3 for “Main Battery Reload Booster l” and 4 for for “Main Battery Reload Booster ll”.
Reload time of British Cruiser Black Swan (Tier I) has been increased from 3 to 4 seconds. Armor-piercing ammunition will be replaced with high-explosive.

Initial velocity – 811 m/sec; maximum damage – 750; Chance of fire - 6%. 
With British ricochet angles and high volume of fire, it was the best ship at it's tier. These changes are intended to reduce its efficiency and equalize the performance of beginners and experienced players on this ship.

Changes to test ships:

German battleship Prinz Eithel Friedrich (Tier VI)

Penetration for high-explosive shells has been increased from 58 to 87 mm in line with other German battleships.

The sigma parameter was decreased from 2.0 to 1.9. Reload time of MB was increased from 24 to 26 seconds. During the first iteration of testing the ship has performed with high efficiency. These changes are needed to equalize stats of German battleship and other ships of this class.

French battleship Jean Bart (Tier IX)

Reload time of “Repair Party” consumable has been increased from 60 to 120 seconds, (“Repair Party l”) and from 40 to 80 seconds (, “Repair Party ll”). Reload time of “Main Battery Reload Booster” has been increased from 120 to 180 seconds (“Main Battery Reload Booster l”) and from 80 to 120 seconds (“Main Battery Reload Booster ll”). Number of charges for “Main Battery Reload Booster” has been increased from 2 to 3 (“Main Battery Reload Booster l”) and from 3 to 4 (“Main Battery Reload Booster ll”).

During the first iteration of testing the ship has demonstrated high battle efficiency due to the fast reload of consumables and this prolonged its life and its average damage. These changes will save the unique set of consumables leaving the opportunity to use them efficiently. At the same time these changes will equalize French battleship’s stats with other ships on its level.

The range of secondaries has been increased from 5 to 7 km in the line to other French battleships.

Please notice that all the info in Dev Blog is preliminary.

C0763D77-0CB6-4917-991B-4E17B1E5B774.jpeg

Members
874 posts
17,083 battles

So, the Swan will now have HE rather than AP. It will also fire far slower. But it appears to retain the SMALLEST SHELLS of the tier, and probably retains the severe inaccuracy as well. Nice.

• Boring 1

Members
1,308 posts
7,698 battles

well, i am happy they aren't nerfing the charles reload as hard now.  In the middle of grinding it currently.  I am curious as to how useful that MRB will be for it.  Considering you spend most of the match kiting and firing from range, and not brawling, your shots are generally  less accurate at range. It will be useful for starting more fires on someone who is vulnerable.(if RNG is forgiving)   in a brawl, i can see this consumable making a big difference. 

i like the changes for the Jean bart.   i guess we will see if its more balanced now.  I like the increase in secondary range especially as i would like to have a hybrid secondary and survival build for fun in randoms. 

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
449 posts
5,119 battles

Black Swan was outperforming a bunch of other Tier I botes? So slow down ROF and load HE only?

How does this help player when moving on to the rest of the British cruisers?

I didn't mind that my swan couldn't set fires because AP on a swarm of HE is like having sight in the land of the blind.

It also demonstrated conclusively to new bote captains that AP could do good damage and rewarded you with Citadels based on your target's range and angle.

But now it's moved up to Tier II where destroyers make their entrance. Will bote captains watch the YouTube contributions on how to use AP for best effect?

Why must there be a step back in product development for every step forward?

[-K-]
Members
5,795 posts
9,827 battles
8 minutes ago, cavscout1739 said:

Why must there be a step back in product development for every step forward?

Balance, comrade.  Balance.

Then again, why can't we just return T1 ships to their original, pre-nerf status?  You know, when they used to be fun to kick around in?

• Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,651 posts
3,735 battles
17 minutes ago, cavscout1739 said:

Black Swan was outperforming a bunch of other Tier I botes? So slow down ROF and load HE only?

How does this help player when moving on to the rest of the British cruisers?

It's more to stop veterans from seal clubbing each other with it, and force them to take BFT+IFHE to do damage, since legit newbies wouldn't really understand why their AP is so good in the first place.

Also, hell yes; Jean Bart now getting the same secondary range. Definitely a must-buy now.

[PVE]
Members
7,252 posts
12,516 battles

Sometimes I wonder what game WG gets their stats on to make these changes??? LOL

And oh look another fun good ship being nerfed into turdville. RIP Black Swan you will be missed.

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,897 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

And oh look another fun good ship being nerfed into turdville.

Sealclubbing isn't fun for the others though, which Is why its getting nerfed I think.

• Cool 1

Members
874 posts
17,083 battles

I talk (at length) about my Black Swan here:

It looks like a new vid will be in order soon.

While the Swan loses her:

• Rate of Fire
  • AP shells

It retains her:

• Jackrabbit acceleration
  • Excellent stealth characteristics
  • 2/3 of firepower in the (relatively) far forward

Will the retentions be enough to keep the Swan a unique tool on the battlefield? I don't know. It does sicken me to think that I might have to go back to sailing back and forth taking pot shots like every other boat in the sea. The Swan's qualities allowed it to be played like a sub/destroyer amongst the other relatively bland boats of tier 1. Thankfully, I don't pay a dime to this development group, so I'm not too disappointed in the development team's desire to remove the MSG from T1.

;)

nCrNWK8.jpg

<sigh>

Members
874 posts
17,083 battles
57 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Then again, why can't we just return T1 ships to their original, pre-nerf status?  You know, when they used to be fun to kick around in?

I remember the heady days of yore, but I don't remember being 'kicked around..."

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles
43 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Sometimes I wonder what game WG gets their stats on to make these changes??? LOL

And oh look another fun good ship being nerfed into turdville. RIP Black Swan you will be missed.

If I was consulting to WG I would note that they (at least in theory) want "balance" or "equality" among ships; a worthy goal in concept. I would note though that one can strive to make ships equally "good" versus equally "bad", which seems to the case here. I would also ask if this or any suggested change makes the game more fun to play.

I also need to check some armor thicknesses and consider the previously impossible notion of adding IFHE to my "Minitaur"….

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
586 posts
1,216 battles

Glad to see the base reload for the T8 & T9 French cruisers isn't getting nerfed as hard...even with the 11 second reload and the reload booster, they will still lose a few percentage points in DPM, just not as much as with the 12 second reload.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,664 posts
3,254 battles
2 hours ago, renegadestatuz said:

Reload time of British Cruiser Black Swan (Tier I) has been increased from 3 to 4 seconds. Armor-piercing ammunition will be replaced with high-explosive.

WHAT ?? 

Also, who cares?

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,325 posts
5,016 battles
42 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

WHAT ?? 

Also, who cares?

BRITISH CRUISER FROM THE TECH TREE WITH HIGH EXPLOSIVE SHELLS

HIGH

EXPLOSIVE

SHELLS.

Edited by Cruxdei

[WOLF9]
Members
7,664 posts
3,254 battles

The more interesting question for me is whether WG will keep the massive changes to the low tier bots.  That might be the biggest change I've seen since the OWSF nerf.  The test is what brought Black Swan under review in the first place.  In order to win Tier 1 Co-op games in PT people were doing BkSw full builds with high point captains, in which her reload could be dropped to 2.7 sec.  (Some did similar with Hermelin, a tough ship.)  So reload nerf.

As to the switch to HE?  That makes no sense to me.  Fortunately I don't make a career out of Tier I so can blow it off.

P.S.  I really do like the changes in PT to the high tier bots.  They play more like decent players than bots.

Net Nanny edits out the abbreviation 'B S' ???  Really?

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,053 posts
10,180 battles
3 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Sealclubbing isn't fun for the others though, which Is why its getting nerfed I think.

Except it’s a problem WG created themselves by giving T1 protected MM. Back then you couldn’t run 3-man divisions because you would get tossed into a T2 game.

T1 should be in nerfed. 

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
449 posts
5,119 battles
4 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

It's more to stop veterans from seal clubbing each other with it, and force them to take BFT+IFHE to do damage, since legit newbies wouldn't really understand why their AP is so good in the first place.

Also, hell yes; Jean Bart now getting the same secondary range. Definitely a must-buy now.

Veteran players have preferred match making at Tier I which you will learn yourself after you progress beyond 200 battles. If there's any newbs playing randoms at Tier I I'll eat my captain's hat.

The result of nerfing my Swan has me whining like a Tier X lolibote driver.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,651 posts
3,735 battles
1 minute ago, cavscout1739 said:

Veteran players have preferred match making at Tier I which you will learn yourself after you progress beyond 200 battles. If there's any newbs playing randoms at Tier I I'll eat my captain's hat.

The result of nerfing my Swan has me whining like a Tier X lolibote driver.

I have a few casual-playing friends who've gone back to T1 on new nations after 200+ games through a line (mostly stuck at T4 since they get utterly nuked at T5+), and get absolutely nuked by T1 "seal clubbers". They don't care too much though, since just YOLO'ing through the first ship of a new line in a few Random games gets them into T2 pretty fast. And not all of them are super familiar with line flavors, or game mechanics, so could still be considered newbie-ish. That's what I based my comment on.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
449 posts
5,119 battles
29 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I have a few casual-playing friends who've gone back to T1 on new nations after 200+ games through a line (mostly stuck at T4 since they get utterly nuked at T5+), and get absolutely nuked by T1 "seal clubbers". They don't care too much though, since just YOLO'ing through the first ship of a new line in a few Random games gets them into T2 pretty fast. And not all of them are super familiar with line flavors, or game mechanics, so could still be considered newbie-ish. That's what I based my comment on.

It's not seal clubbing at that level in tier I

I certainly don't consider myself clubbed by the Tier's version of Flamu or iChase or any of the other less capable (but a lot more than myself) players that have fun in a class that has one consumable and mostly one ammo choice.

I rather doubt that the other players in that blood sport are happy that their bote of choice (or their favorite bote to kill) is being "reduced in efficiency" down to their level.

No happier than I'd be if Conqueror lost its flaming HE which has become such a memeable playstyle.

When the ships are released, you fight them or adapt to their play. Making this a participation trophy belittles the players, along with the ships they compete in.

Eventually you will have NASCAR on the ocean, and LWM can hang up her hat because every bote will be "meh".

[LHG]
Members
1,342 posts
5,515 battles

I'm not sad at all that the Black Swan will no longer be sealclubbing. Playing just a tiny bit of Cheng'an and seeing all the Black Swans around was not fun. It's funny seeing apologists come out in this thread. I also (unintentionally) clubbed in T5 CVs before they got nerfed, so I know the perspective. I just choose to acknowledge the effect of my actions.

I'm willing to take the 1-second nerfs for the reload booster. Don't know if St. Louis will actually be good with it, but it's worth testing.

Wasn't paying too much attention to PEF.

Every CC I read or watch said Jean Bart was too good, so this was to be expected. Also whoever was asking for her to be secondary viable (was it NeutralState?), you got your wish.

Edited by Flashtirade

[WOLFB]
Members
2,100 posts
9,546 battles

"Please notice that in 0.7.8 update researched French cruisers from tier VI will receive «Main Battery Reload Booster» consumable." Oh well that sounds interesting. It may actually help people enjoying their grind with La Galissonière. It will also turn Algerie into a pretty good fire starter. I personally like all French ship starting at T7 and above but some dislike Algérie, which I can understand.  

"Reload time of 203-mm/55 Mle guns for French cruisers Charles Martel (Tier VIII) and Saint Louis (Tier IX) has been reduced to 11 seconds." That's not a bad trade.