You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ivan_Namirettov

In-Game Civility: The sea is getting saltier

28 comments in this topic

Members
20 posts
7,069 battles

Fellow Captains,

I have played the game for three years. When I first started I was surprised by the general civility and community support that made the game a more enjoyable experience compared to other similar games. "Good jobs" from freind and foe were common-place, when mistakes were made they were pointed out and advice given. Overall there was an atmosphere of it being a very competitive gentleman's game. If you f@#$d up, you f$#@d up. Live and learn.

However, over the past year, the content of the in-game chat has become full of cursing and demeaning towards teammates and foes; turning many games into un-enjoyable experiences simply because of all of the belittling that occurs. It has gotten to the point that several people disable the Chat on their huds so that they don't have to see it's content, or important messages and notifications are lost in the babble. 

We all make mistakes and have differing opinions on politics or gameplay. I myself have lost a game for my team a few times and typed many things I shouldn't have. However, how do you expect someone to listen to you and take your advice if you fill it with deriding and expletives?

I implore you, my fellow gamers, to be more civil towards each other. When a foe bests you complement him and learn from your mistakes. When a teammate screws up advise him what he can do better. I am not asking that we be "Politically Correct" or "sensitive" towards one another, but at least treat others with the same respect you want given to you. If you see a noob doing noob things help make him a better player.

In summary, we all hate losing and love to win, but losing is part of the game. We play the game because we enjoy it. Let's keep it that way.

Edited by Ivan_Namirettov
  • Cool 13

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
353 posts
13,476 battles

990 points, last ship alive, charges the nearest enemy and dies. Should I pat him on the back for that?

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[PSP]
Members
7,922 posts
10,490 battles

You can turn off chat if you don't want to see it; I do this sometimes when someone has a macro that causes them to spam the "canned" messages fifty times each time they press an F-key.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
8 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

990 points, last ship alive, charges the nearest enemy and dies. Should I pat him on the back for that?

No you do not, but at the same time going full blown Sailor Grade talk in chat is not needed.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
279 posts
5,081 battles
10 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

no, and OP did not suggest such an action

• Cool 5

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,226 battles

Good sentiments, OP, and I agree with them, but if you search the forums you'll find many responding to post like yours saying its your job to toughen up, and they have every right and expectation to be as crude as they want to be.

Posts like yours are far outnumbered by others that say things like "why do I get a chatban for telling my team how much they suck?", so you're paddling up a swiftly running river, I'm afraid.

Here, see what i mean below:

5 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

AbyssAnger, can you not simply tell them what mistake they are making, or is verbal sodomy the only response you're capable of having? Maybe the more vitriol you spew, the more defiant the recipient of it becomes.

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles

You are right, of course.  The incivility doesn't accomplish anything productive, and actually doesn't make me feel any better.  I too thought this game was better in that regard than WoT.  I must admit that I'm guilty of participating in its decline.

I guess team multiplayer games are just no good for me.  I struggle to make it just about the fun of the action, and challenging myself to do my very best.  I consistently rank in the top 5 on my team, and should be content with that.  But I HATE losing.  I don't mind losing a hard fought battle where we were simply outplayed at the end (but those are too few and far between).  I HATE losing because my team just seems incompetent and doesn't seem to understand the very basics of play, and dies quickly and thoroughly, or refuses to achieve the necessary game winning mechanics, like sitting in a group outside an uncontested cap instead of capping it.

I played WoT for years, and finally quit the game because it was not good for my general attitude on life.  I started playing WoWS because I thought I could just not care about winning or losing, and could just enjoy sailing the ships around and shooting pixels.  I seem to have been wrong.

So, I guess I'll either stop playing these games altogether, or enforce some kind of chat discipline where I only use chat to praise or point out tactics or strategies.  Yelling at teammates doesn't ever make them any better, in my experience, and doesn't make me feel any better.

• Cool 1

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
14 minutes ago, Ivan_Namirettov said:

Fellow Captains,

I have played the game for three years. When I first started I was surprised by the general civility and community support that made the game a more enjoyable experience compared to other similar games. "Good jobs" from freind and foe were common-place, when mistakes were made they were pointed out and advice given. Overall there was an atmosphere of it being a very competitive gentleman's game. If you f@#$d up, you f$#@d up. Live and learn.

However, over the past year, the content of the in-game chat has become full of cursing and demeaning towards teammates and foes; turning many games into un-enjoyable experiences simply because of all of the belittling that occurs. It has gotten to the point that several people disable the Chat on their huds so that they don't have to see it's content, or important messages and notifications are lost in the babble. 

We all make mistakes and have differing opinions on politics or gameplay. I myself have lost a game for my team a few times and typed many things I shouldn't have. However, how do you expect someone to listen to you and take your advice if you fill it with deriding and expletives?

I implore you, my fellow gamers, to be more civil towards each other. When a foe bests you complement him and learn from your mistakes. When a teammate screws up advise him what he can do better. I am not asking that we be "Politically Correct" or "sensitive" towards one another, but at least treat others with the same respect you want given to you. If you see a noob doing noob things help make him a better player.

In summary, we all game because we enjoy it. Let's keep it that way.

I agree with you, I have slipped Full Navy Language only once in chat, and that was towards a Team Killer who on purpose sank our Team CV. This was before the current meta

Members
2,425 posts
6,704 battles

The sea maybe getting saltier... I had the C word flung at me among other things more than once, he was salty my Worcester counter-ambushed his Grozovoi and let me have it in chat all because i'd said "no" in all-chat after he died.

But I still see a lot of GGs and players patting each other in the back or having friendly banter or just friendly convos in all-chat. While I do see a lot of salt... i see just as much if not more genuine civility.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles

There has only been a slight difference since CBT, granted I never talked in chat until a couple of months after the game was released. It and me have gotten saltier over time but it is also no different from when the game first started.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

The sea maybe getting saltier... I had the C word flung at me among other things more than once, he was salty my Worcester counter-ambushed his Grozovoi and let me have it in chat all because i'd said "no" in all-chat after he died.

But I still see a lot of GGs and players patting each other in the back or having friendly banter or just friendly convos in all-chat. While I do see a lot of salt... i see just as much if not more genuine civility.

I am also seen a lot nothing in chat, no banter, no F keys, nothing I am not sure what is doing this? I have even shocked a few by thanking them for their help, especially CV players in Co-Op, a lot of times it is just the CV player and my ship at 2AM EST vs. all the Bots.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

Alpha Tester
7,106 posts
3,722 battles

When you have War Gaming supporting very toxic content creators it's certainly not going to help.

I wouldn't want to be a sponsored streamer or CC because my aggrivation gets to me sometimes.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
685 posts
8,627 battles

You actually read chat?

[WOLF7]
Members
10,746 posts

Three years ago this game had a much older demographic, WG has seemed determined to bring in a younger crowd and change the game meta, but all they did was bring more salt for the spuds....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,474 battles

I save my negative karma for salt. Even if someone is playing poorly I'm more apt to give it to the person who's pointing it out to them in a uncivil way. If someone points it out in a civil manner with proper advice they just may receive good karma. 

• Cool 4

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles
11 minutes ago, Mainerd said:

I save my negative karma for salt. Even if someone is playing poorly I'm more apt to give it to the person who's pointing it out to them in a uncivil way. If someone points it out in a civil manner with proper advice they just may receive good karma. 

My Gangut was in a Tier VII battle and she sunk one enemy broadside CA. Then she got targeted by about 6 enemy ships while my team was still in spawn and ignoring the enemy lemmings push. I had 11 Reports at the start of the battle, I had 0 at the end of it.

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,474 battles
7 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

My Gangut was in a Tier VII battle and she sunk one enemy broadside CA. Then she got targeted by about 6 enemy ships while my team was still in spawn and ignoring the enemy lemmings push. I had 11 Reports at the start of the battle, I had 0 at the end of it.

Which did nothing since it happens all the time. I myself I never try to stop a enemy lemming rush solo. I'm just not as good as you.

[RKLES]
Members
8,284 posts
10,516 battles
1 hour ago, Ivan_Namirettov said:

Fellow Captains,

In summary, we all hate losing and love to win, but losing is part of the game. We play the game because we enjoy it. Let's keep it that way.

Well kids have been out of school over Summer Vacation, and the amount of profanity and hate skyrockets in battles as you watch the 4 main US time zones get of school each day.

Other Problems include the fact couple Ranked seasons ago we had tier 8 Ranked, then we had tier 8/10 Ranked, which was a mistake, now we have same thing again. This is on top of all the campaigns that require high tiers, and all the X Clan Wars. Players are grown no weary of so many high tier battles, which is worsened by the fact Radar has spread through high tier like the plague and sown some chaos in the battle lines.

As I suggest in another thread if Wargaming even just did another tier VI Ranked season, it would be some variety and allow people enraged over Radar a month to cool down as well.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,935 posts
3,895 battles

"If you sink the low-health Atago and ram Alabama, Edinburgh will survive on our team and we win"

*NC proceeds to shoot bow-on, full-health Alabama, ignores low-health Atago 6km away, gets sunk by cits and torpedoes when avoiding the ram*

"Dude that just cost us the game. Now Edinburgh has to fight Atago and a full health Alabama."

"Play your own ship."

This was in ranked, by the way.

• Cool 1

[A_51]
Members
653 posts

I think people finally realized that karma points are meaningless, and that there are no repercussions to being "reported."  If WG were to begin providing rewards for karma score, the change would be like night and day.  The rewards wouldn't even have to be that extravagant to be effective, IMO.

Edited by Seaneroo

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
4,361 battles

Not to get all deep but its just another symptom of the degradation of western society. That coupled with the anonymity of the net brings out the worst in people. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,160 posts
8,217 battles
2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

"If you sink the low-health Atago and ram Alabama, Edinburgh will survive on our team and we win"

*NC proceeds to shoot bow-on, full-health Alabama, ignores low-health Atago 6km away, gets sunk by cits and torpedoes when avoiding the ram*

"Dude that just cost us the game. Now Edinburgh has to fight Atago and a full health Alabama."

I, for one, actually appreciate this kind of chat.    Had a game yesterday where I'm flinging bullets and dodging.  Look up and see five ships to two, and they're closing in on me.    Meh... chalk it up to another loss.

Then, in chat, "we're ahead on points - just stay alive".

Oh crap!    Too immersed in the battle, and I didn't even see the score.   180 degrees later, with stern wiggling like no tomorrow, and the remaining five shooting at me, it took forever to survive those last 40 points.    

Had I not read that helpful chat....   appreciate it when I plant the head too far in the ground to see what's going on.    Thanks team!!

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
1,212 posts

OP, it has gotten a lot more "toxic" of late....  Cultural Adaptive Friction, has been created by the cruiser line split and radar (a meta sales gimmick) a few weeks ago....  Radar has cause a lot of game play dysfunction and that isn't conducive towards good behaviors.   Absolute frustration and the disintegration of "expectations and era correct roles" is causing a lot of hostility.   The adapt, overcome and survive crowd make fun of players whom have had enough change for several years all rolled into one patch that created the current meta disaster...  It isn't getting any better either....  In many clans, they've stopped playing tiers 9 and 10.  Our clan fields only a division now and we do not play Tier's 9 and 10.  Although, that's all we see in tier 7 and 8 and the frustration level is constantly growing over radar....  we are seeing players "retire" from active play.

Meritocracies are the basis of most games.........they become toxic when the "expected balance" is skewed by meta sales gimmicks.........and, if balance isn't restored very quickly, toxic behaviors escalate to the point that the entire middle of the player base leaves......  The rest become "us" versus "them".........and, all innovation dies as the population leaves.   We are becoming an "up" or "out" paradigm.

[THOR]
Members
144 posts
3,852 battles
3 hours ago, Mainerd said:

Yes I report on salt. I give compliments on those that do some good team play. Like DD smoke for cruisers. I quit looking at my Karma. I have been reported when I am still number one on the team. Sometimes no matter what you do someone is not happy.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,936 battles
4 hours ago, Ivan_Namirettov said:

Fellow Captains,

I come down hard on players who suicide themselves in less than 5 min and blame everyone else. There is zero excuse for failing that miserably to take personal accountability.

The other time i come down hard on people is if they sabotage matches. That includes when 3 players who are all in the bottom 5% of performance div up and their mere presence makes it a pretty much a guaranteed loss. They have a greater negative impact on the traditional fail division of bringing mixed tier ships which is why I also call them fail divs. Clans that do this the most often are clans where virtually every player is 45% or below win rate and usually have military abbreviations like usmc usaf etc. Which is surprising because you'd think the first things they teach servicemen is to produce results, respect others, put team ahead of self, etc.

Or Yammy players averaging 20k damage who don't even load into the game until 5 minutes or longer. In other words, anyone who puts their own self interested fun ahead of the team at the cost of the team's fun.

Bottom line, I always treat players like respectful human beings until they give a reason not to.

If you get a verbal lashing from me, chances are you did something to deserve it. And those chances are 100%. And forum trolls will argue that it's subjective but it's not. There is nothing subjective about a DD player charging a cap, sitting in their smoke like they have a 30 IQ, get radared and / or torped to death in less than 3 min and the first thing out of their mouth is, "Thanks for no support, you all suck."

And they do this match after match without any awareness that maybe they should try a different approach which is even more disturbing.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1