You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VVoony

Purchasable T9 Premium ship?

12 comments in this topic

[CAPGO]
Members
656 posts
3,957 battles

T9 premium ships are pouring in and we know they are going to be either free XP ships or resource ships.

I always wondered why people are afraid of purchasable T9 Premium ships so much when there is already T8 ships purchasable with money that gets into T10 matches.

I know we don't want wallet warriors who just started the game to enter high tier matches and just mess up the game because they don't know anything.

But we already have that going on in T10 matches with T8 premium ships, so why not just sell T9 ships too?

Person who bought T8 ship straight up without playing the game would be no better than the person who buys T9.why not just let them buy T9 ships and let them learn lessons?

If we are going to sell T8 premiums anyways, let people who buys high tier ship without belt under them be punished even harsher by allowing them to buy T9 premiums and just be wasted in the game.

And make people with good knowledge be able to enjoy T9 ships without spending so much to convert all the xp to FXP

This is just my thoughts, and I welcome people who disagree with me.

Edited by 0806sung
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,675 battles

You can always purchase the T9 ships .. just involves you converting xp to free xp with lots of dosh...  :D

Real note I prefer it like this. They need to actually grind 750k xp. And learn the game.

Edited by Merlox
  • Cool 1

[MLPVA]
Members
208 posts
3,105 battles

Well, for starters, of the two Tier IX premiums currently available, one of them is straight up better than their tech tree (Musashi vs Izumo), while the Missouri is a sidegrade to the Iowa. The same can't really be said of the Tier VIII premiums. Yes, most of them are strong ships, but they don't really offer up much compared to their peers.

[-SYN-]
Members
24 posts
2,141 battles

Really, just look at the stats for the Atago and Tirpitz.  People like high tier credit earners and buy them before they are ready.  Nothing makes my DD skin crawl more then a less then 10 battle Atago "backing" me at a cap.

The freexp and coal requirement at least forces "some" play experience.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,226 battles
18 minutes ago, DarfTarts421 said:

Well, for starters, of the two Tier IX premiums currently available, one of them is straight up better than their tech tree (Musashi vs Izumo), while the Missouri is a sidegrade to the Iowa. The same can't really be said of the Tier VIII premiums. Yes, most of them are strong ships, but they don't really offer up much compared to their peers.

I don't think you can consider the Izumo to be the tech tree counterpart of the Musashi. Yes, they're the same tier, but the tech tree point of comparison has to be its sister ship.

Similarly, you can't say the Missouri is just a sidegrade to the Iowa. The radar is a difference-maker. It has performed better in every statistical category. The standard response is that this difference is caused by the XP grind to all the upgrades, and that may be true, but the upgrade path and attendant growing pains are part of the Iowa experience.

Beta Testers
596 posts
7,282 battles

The only bad are really the purchasable T8s.  The T9s, just to get them, involves a lot of playtime (and in some cases, real-world-cash).  Hopefully the playtime will rub off on the individual and will use the T9 as it should.  Meanwhile I still see Tirpitzs and Atagos doing new player mistakes all the time.  This is no good for the team at all and much more of a case for a must-play-"n"-number-of-games-to-buy.  IMHO

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
685 posts
8,627 battles

You could argue that T9 preemies are already purchasable.  Lots of people are spending big bucks for XP conversion.  I refuse to spend the money, but will admit I purchase the Papa Papa flags for the bonus.  I can wait the additional time required to acquire the ship.

[RKLES]
Members
8,284 posts
10,516 battles

Because players can play couple battles in tier I and decide oh this looks like fun game, let me get my wallet out and but some tier 8 ships on my first day, now would you want them to be able to go oh look they have tier 9 and 100 ships I can buy as well?

At least the wallet warrior clueless players have to play a little before getting enough XP to convert into free XP, which then they use to get into tier X. Not saying experienced players should be unable to but what they want, since if a good player wants something then they probably can use it well. But that is why the coal, steel, and free XP high tier ships are in place as a means of preventing players on day 1 from getting their hands on them.

And so that when the Santa crates arrive next Christmas @Lert can get his well deserved coal from Santa... 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,817 posts
10,505 battles

I'd imagine the worst T8 ship you can gift to a noob is....

"These are the voyages of the USS Enterprise.  With it's zero point captain and no flags..  To seek out new salt mines and wipe-out losses..."

<cue theme song>

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,086 posts
13,526 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And so that when the Santa crates arrive next Christmas @Lert can get his well deserved coal from Santa... 

YeEMyER.png

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,394 posts
9,036 battles

I believe WOWS said the Tier 8 would be the highest tier that a new player would be able to buy their way into and Tier 10 would not be purchasable with real money.  Imagine Tier 9 and 10 battles with several players that had a few hundred battles and they were in a Tier 9 ship.  Tier 8 ships do see 9 and 10 battles, but not ALL the time.  At least earning Free XP to convert for Tier 9 involves having played a certain number of battles.  And 276k coal for Salem would cost a fortune to engineer with Go Navy crates, over $1,000...

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
199 posts
3,142 battles
1 hour ago, A_Little_Warped said:

Really, just look at the stats for the Atago and Tirpitz.  People like high tier credit earners and buy them before they are ready.  Nothing makes my DD skin crawl more then a less then 10 battle Atago "backing" me at a cap.

The freexp and coal requirement at least forces "some" play experience.

This.

I made this mistake and performed so poorly in Atago that I didn't touch it for the better part of a year. And even now, I'm a bit leery to do so. It doesn't stop me from grabbing my free XP ships, but that's a subject for another time.

However, locking high tier premium ships behind a skill wall isn't the answer. WG would effectively be shooting themselves in the foot from a financial perspective. Making tier 9 premiums available (or more readily so) for anyone willing to shell out the hard cash to do so would result in a horde of players carrying torches and pitchforks looking for blood. Granted, there are folks willing to go Mastercard Mercenary and convert free XP...

...it's the proverbial "slippery slope."

There really isn't a fix-all available on this. Sometimes I wish it was easier, and sometimes wish it wasn't possible to do after being in a few high tier matches. 

I like to think of it as the carrot hanging from the stick. It gives people the incentive to bust their butts to work towards a goal and hopefully get better at the game while doing so.

My apologies if I'm rambling. Writing with a migraine tends to make my mind derail.