Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

Someone please explain this WG support response and tell me what I should do next?

16 comments in this topic

Members
259 posts
11,638 battles

I sent this ticket to WG Support:

Personal "3 defended flags" Special Task Mission fails before the game ends

Repro:

* Special Task "3 Defended flags" 
* Enemy team captures all cap points 
* Special Task "3 Defended flags" reported as failed.

This is an error because: 
1. I am still alive 
2. the game is not over.

I got this response:

Thank for your contacting.

In order to reveal a source of this issue, we need the screenshot or a video where it is displayed.

Unfortunately, we cannot determine all factors which have led to this problem without this data.

If you encounter this issue again or the issue is not resolved, please send us any confirming information, for a thorough analysis on our side.

I hope for your understanding.

Yours sincerely, 

Any ideas on how I can select the Personal Special Mission?

Update:

1. The game had 15 minutes left.
  2. There is plenty of time to capture a cap point and then defend it.
  3. The Special Task was reported as failed the instance the enemy team captured all 3 capture points. 

A replay while nice - is not necessary for a dev to look at the failed condition for the 3 Defended Special task. 

In any event, a special task should be reported as failed only if:

1. time has expired OR
  2. the player is dead AND the player has no more ordinance in "flight" AND the player has no more fire/flood damage being inflicted on the enemy.

Fancy determinations around a special mission task just result in bugs like this.

Edited by awesomeartichokes

[ARGSY]
Members
7,924 posts
5,442 battles

You can only defend the cap point if it is PARTIALLY taken. Once the enemy has completed taking the cap, you can no longer score defence ribbons by hitting ships inside it.

Once they have all of them, there's no way for you to score any defence ribbons unless you (a) took one back completely and (b) they started to recapture it again. If there was insufficient time for this to happen, the task would therefore rightly have been called failed.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Members
3,304 posts
1,449 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You can only defend the cap point if it is PARTIALLY taken. Once the enemy has completed taking the cap, you can no longer score defence ribbons.

Could you retake the cap(s) and then defend them?

If so, there would be a time limit to retake a cap that might not be possible due to time remaining.

• Bad 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,202 posts
13,784 battles

Apparently, the "code" knows if there is no way to complete a task even if there is time remaining.  In OP case, if the time remaining was insufficient to re-establish control of a cap, then the task could not be achieved.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,924 posts
5,442 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Could you retake the cap(s) and then defend them?

If so, there would be a time limit to retake a cap that might not be possible due to time remaining.

It would be impossible to tell without knowing the game time remaining and the position of the OP in relation to the nearest cap. S/he must first enter it, then if capturing alone, must stay in it for a full minute untouched by enemy fire, then leave it in order for the enemy ship to enter and attempt capture (and then the enemy ship needs to be close enough). Evidently the algorithm decided that the mission was unachievable under the prevailing circumstances.

Members
3,304 posts
1,449 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It would be impossible to tell without knowing the game time remaining and the position of the OP in relation to the nearest cap. S/he must first enter it, then if capturing alone, must stay in it for a full minute untouched by enemy fire, then leave it in order for the enemy ship to enter and attempt capture (and then the enemy ship needs to be close enough). Evidently the algorithm decided that the mission was unachievable under the prevailing circumstances.

That is what I was thinking.  If less than a minute was remaining, it would be impossible for a defend condition to exist.

• Bad 1

Members
259 posts
11,638 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

OP:

Support is going to need to see a replay to determine what is happening.

As I said to the support guy -- exactly how can I repro this? 

They can easily set up these conditions in a dev environment and see the bug.

Members
3,304 posts
1,449 battles
1 minute ago, awesomeartichokes said:

You can enable replays to send to them.

I don't know why they don't do it in a dev environment.

• Bad 1

Members
105 posts
14,487 battles
4 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

I sent this ticket to WG Support:

I got this response:

Any ideas on how I can select the Personal Special Mission?

Update:

1. The game had 15 minutes left.
  2. There is plenty of time to capture a cap point and then defend it.
  3. The Special Task was reported as failed the instance the enemy team captured all 3 capture points. 

A replay while nice - is not necessary for a dev to look at the failed condition for the 3 Defended Special task. 

In any event, a special task should be reported as failed only if:

1. time has expired OR
  2. the player is dead AND the player has no more ordinance in "flight" AND the player has no more fire/flood damage being inflicted on the enemy.

Fancy determinations around a special mission task just result in bugs like this.

OP:

I might be incorrect but I don't think that there is any way that you could still have 15 minutes in the game AND all 3 caps already fully taken by the enemy.  Your team's ships would have been just as close as the enemy's to each cap point, so I am very puzzled as to how they could have managed a fully uncontested cap on all 3 - even then, IMHO, it takes a lot longer than a minute to secure a cap (whenever I try it, it feels like 5 minutes at least ;).  I wasn't there, so I only offer this as food for thought in regards to the Updates that you posted.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,587 posts
3,228 battles
2 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Do you have replays enabled?  If not then you're SOL.

[WORX]
Members
2,552 posts
13,870 battles

Evidence Evidence Evidence, no one is going to go by what you say if its far fetch (this is a far fetch case). Next time present a screen shoot, because as stated by you. There is no way your account of the events is remotely do-able. With all 3 caps gone the game is over IF its a mercy rule (your team reaches zero points) OR red team get to 1k. Just on what I can see, there was nothing wrong with the outcome.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,406 posts
28,126 battles

I'm just wondering why the code even makes such additional checks for a failure when the game is still going on instead of waiting til the game is over.

Members
259 posts
11,638 battles
1 hour ago, Njanear said:

I might be incorrect but I don't think that there is any way that you could still have 15 minutes in the game AND all 3 caps already fully taken by the enemy.  Your team's ships would have been just as close as the enemy's to each cap point, so I am very puzzled as to how they could have managed a fully uncontested cap on all 3

LOL..

It takes 1 minute to secure a cap. The team was the team it was .... and it did not contest the cap. 

Sorry you are so , so , so funny.

Members
3,968 posts
6,687 battles
7 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

They need a replay to see all of the  data values so it can be correctly be set up according to your specific game conditions..   A replay is not actually a replay but uses game data to recreate the battle.  This is why the replay file has to be run via the game client.  They REALLY need to know the exact details of your specific game, before they can reproduce it.

Sign in to follow this