Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Interesting insight into goal achievement game code

10 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,202 posts
13,784 battles

So...my "Go Navy" goal for the game was to obtain three citadels.  I don't chase the goals...I just play the game.  At the end of the match, if I've achieved a goal....great.  If not....meh.  So, I'm in a game and my goal is to get three citadels.  During the game, I'm not even thinking about that...don't even remember that's a goal.  Toward the end of the match, our team eliminates all but one ship on the enemy team.  I get a pop up message that I failed to achieve the goal.  Wait...the game isn't over yet...and I can't achieve the goal?  Then it dawns on me....the goal is citadels.  The remaining enemy is a DD.  DDs don't have citadels. 

I was amused that the game code doesn't just check to see if a goal is achieved, but also checks IN REAL TIME if the goal is achievable during the game.  In my mind, I thought they would just check the stat at game end...or perhaps flag the achievement when it occurs in game.  But to actually have the code that determines it cannot be achieved when the match was still active...that was kinda interesting.       

• Cool 3

[TNG]
Members
1,001 posts
12,727 battles

yes i had a  torp spotting mission and it SHOWED FAILED !   with 2 ships left both BBs :)

i was like wow i think its part of the same code that updates you on how far you are. like you spotted 6/9 torps etc.

Edited by Rilak

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

@Soshi_Sone I noticed that a while back along with being surprised that I completed a goal I did not know I had or seeing the pop up that I was 1 away from completing it. I still see that there are those complaining about some goals being unobtainable for their ship at the time but what I see is that the goals fit well with each ship type though they may be difficult for particular ships of a given type or situation ie 4 spotting ribbons is not going to be easy for that BB in the rear with no spotter plane.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,202 posts
13,784 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

9CXNjP6.gif

Might be a funny, but that was EXACTLY how I felt when it happened and it dawned on me why.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,924 posts
5,442 battles
2 hours ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

It's Skynet

Until the game asks for my clothes, my boots and my motorcycle, I will not embrace this opinion. 

• Cool 1

[ADR]
Members
4,340 posts
13,998 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Until the game asks for my clothes, my boots and my motorcycle, I will not embrace this opinion. 

he wasn't skynet !   just a drone of Skynet

[ARGSY]
Members
7,924 posts
5,442 battles
3 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

he wasn't skynet !   just a drone of Skynet

Yes, but up until that point in the film series, we only ever saw Skynet manifested through the Terminators. (Also, I don't even have a motorcycle.)

Sign in to follow this