You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Why isn’t the CV rework priority 1 like it should be?

256 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,583 posts
3,804 battles

I am interested in your civilized thoughts on why the CV rework isn’t priority 1 for our Devs in St. Petersburg. I find it to be silly that a class of warships has been left to die out without a proper rework when it has been a known problem for 3 years. Yes, Cv population numbers are going down for our server region and it is alarming not to see a fix put in place for a day one problem on a title this big. The CV class imbalance deserves the highest priority over anything else not essential to the game. Discuss

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 2

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
4,361 battles

My guess.... They really have no clue what they are going to do as a rework. We love to bandy I ideas & theories on the forums but A) coming up with a solid idea then B) Making it work & actually be fun to play while C) being balanced for the game et al is no small matter I would imagine. 

• Cool 5

[ARGSY]
Members
7,924 posts
5,442 battles

From what I understand, the CV rework involves a major change in the way the class is played. That's going to take as much work as introducing carriers did in the first place. I wouldn't expect to see it this year. It's unreasonable to expect overnight fixes. Please don't.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Minority class gets smaller share of the attention. 

CV has 1/10th the population of DD currently. 

800 people logged a CV battle in high tiers, compared to 9k in DD, and 14k in CA and BB. They just don't get the design time compared to the others. This is a business.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 3

Members
3,304 posts
1,449 battles
3 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

My guess.... They really have no clue what they are going to do as a rework. We love to bandy I ideas & theories on the forums but A) coming up with a solid idea then B) Making it work & actually be fun to play while C) being balanced for the game et al is no small matter I would imagine. 

This.  They had problems on the first go round, and every tweak had large unintended consequences.

1 minute ago, Canadatron said:

Minority class gets smaller share of the attention. 

CV has 1/10th the population of DD currently. 

800 people logged a CV battle in high tiers, compared to 9k in DD, and 14k in CA and BB. They just don't get the design time compared to the others. This is a business.

And a this.

• Boring 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

@landedkiller None of us know what WGs priorities are for any of the upcoming changes/additions etc. and WG has no obligation to inform us. Personally I have found that attempting to fix anything that isn't broken is an exercise in futility. There is nothing wrong with CVs in the first place other than intense multi tasking required for the high tiers.

What is wrong though can not be fixed by WG! Those who don't want CVs in the game at all will not change. Those who pile derision on CV players will continue to do so. CV players who complain about other CV players and enemy AA deleting their planes quickly will still complain rather than learn from their errors.  

The thing I have seen on this is that they do not plan on working on adapting CVs for console controllers so they can be added to the console version.

I haven't noticed any CV player count dropping. Most of my battles Co op and Random include 1 and in many instances 2 CVs per team!

So CVs are being played and played well! Why fix that! CV complainers are still as vociferous as every so perhaps a priority fix is needed for that!

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
702 posts

Someone listed the legitimate complaints or the widely agreed complaints. The only answer that would always present two evenly matched CV teams was to get rid of the human and use BOT Captains.  The differences between Captains cannot be fixed by programmers 

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
4,361 battles
1 minute ago, pinkship9001 said:

just remove and refund them all together

I could get behind this. IMO adding CVs to the game was an ill conceived idea. They really dont fit the scope of what WoWs is meant to be. 

It was a great idea to chase some rubels that ultimately failed. Admit it was a bad idea, pull them & get on with the game. 

• Cool 4
  • Bad 5

[-AA-]
Members
1,754 posts
6,667 battles

What makes you think CVs are not priority 1?

They have multiple teams working on multiple things. Letting everyone working on the same thing does not necessarily speed up the progress.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Members
10,074 posts

You can only put so many people on a conceptual project like that. It takes time to try out various ideas and if you end up rejecting many of those ideas as they have, it takes a while until you get to something that makes sense. In essence, you can't rush such a major overhaul as this. It's like churning butter.

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,760 posts
12,155 battles
49 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I am interested in your civilized thoughts on why the CV rework isn’t priority 1 for our Devs in St. Petersburg. I find it to be silly that a class of warships has been left to die out without a proper rework when it has been a known problem for 3 years. Yes, Cv population numbers are going down for our server region and it is alarming not to see a fix put in place for a day one problem on a title this big. The CV class imbalance deserves the highest priority over anything else not essential to the game. Discuss

1. Low CV population

2. Low desire from non CV players to raise CV player population.

It's literally low demand from the community for more playable CVs.

Members
2,746 posts
5,723 battles

WOW should make the CV play real easy. Just have the Player actually fly a squadron of planes himself/herself for each attack in real first person/third person view like in World of Warplanes. After concluding the attack return and land and start another one. CV should have Bots that fly their defence planes which automatically defend the Carrier when the player is..well doing other things! 

Thats my simpleton solution

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
144 posts
7,594 battles
25 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Personally I have found that attempting to fix anything that isn't broken is an exercise in futility. There is nothing wrong with CVs in the first place other than intense multi tasking required for the high tiers.

What is wrong though can not be fixed by WG! Those who don't want CVs in the game at all will not change.

People are regularly logging 80%+ solo win rates in CVs.  That is the very definition of broken.  When a single class can influence a 24 person game at that level, you have a huge, gaping balance issue.

• Cool 11
  • Bad 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

@Tibson exactly how many 80% win rate CV players are there? whether it be 1 or a 1000 it is not because of the CV it is due to that player being very good at this game and they are likely very good in any ship they play! That is no reason for an unneeded CV rework!

You too can have an 80% win rate! Practice practice practice to get better rather than deride those who already have!

• Bad 4

[TASC]
Members
202 posts
6,520 battles

i would wager that WG had a plan to add lines over a time frame with some fix updates in between. any major rework would have to be fed into that plan. this will not be fast or easy for them to fix as others have stated. that they are doing it at all shows they do pay attention to us and want us to have fun. after all the more we like the game the more money we spend on it.  

Members
20,699 posts
5,599 battles
58 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

The differences between Captains cannot be fixed by programmers 

No, but they can be mitigated.

How do you address the skill discrepancy between a fencing master and someone who doesn't know the difference between an epee and a sabre?

You give them axes.

• Funny 2

Members
3,304 posts
1,449 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

How do you address the skill discrepancy between a fencing master and someone who doesn't know the difference between an epee and a sabre?

You give them axes.

That is funny.  They are probably going to do something like that.

Good CV players are probably going to hate it.

Members
20,699 posts
5,599 battles
31 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Tibson exactly how many 80% win rate CV players are there? whether it be 1 or a 1000 it is not because of the CV it is due to that player being very good at this game and they are likely very good in any ship they play! That is no reason for an unneeded CV rework!

You too can have an 80% win rate! Practice practice practice to get better rather than deride those who already have!

It's not about the wannabe CV player being frustrated with his gameplay against a skilled opponent.

It's about the rest of his team being frustrated. Any other ship, you can be mediocre and have your opponent be skilled, and you can still accomplish things. The biggest key is that you do not have to make it a fair fight, or even directly counter that opponent in the first place. CVs do not have that luxury. The MM severely limits your ability to make the fight unfair, and you are the only player who can directly counter your skilled opponent.

The only sensible options are to either make the gameplay easier, so a skilled player shutting down his mediocre opponent isn't a given, or limit CVs' abilities, so that one team having their CV operating vs. the other having theirs shut down has no more influence on the game than having the only surviving example of any other ship type.

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

Tibson  Really a down vote rather than just answering How many 80% win rate CV players are there?

Come on down voters bring them on waste them here and run out so you wont have any for a post that really deserves one.

• Bad 5

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

What makes you think CVs are not priority 1?

They have multiple teams working on multiple things. Letting everyone working on the same thing does not necessarily speed up the progress.

1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

You can only put so many people on a conceptual project like that. It takes time to try out various ideas and if you end up rejecting many of those ideas as they have, it takes a while until you get to something that makes sense. In essence, you can't rush such a major overhaul as this. It's like churning butter.

Exactly.  Once they reach an implementation phase, it may be an all hands on deck sort of exercise.  But until then, more people on the design committee is not going to make arriving at a design for the rework any easier.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,327 posts
15,768 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

I am interested in your civilized thoughts on why the CV rework isn’t priority 1 for our Devs in St. Petersburg.

Because few people care at all about CVs and the ones that do want them to die.

15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You give them axes.

I'm not so sure this is the great idea you think it is as the axes in question will be used on the rest of the ships in the game, namely US!

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,822 posts
6,882 battles
43 minutes ago, Tibson said:

People are regularly logging 80%+ solo win rates in CVs.

I call doubt on that. Looking up the stats of two unicum/super unicum CV Players I know personally I saw them having the majority of their CVs at below 80%, or even below 70%. Only exception here being one of them having 86% in the Hiryuu, although th Femennenly, the known CV-unicum, has no CV at 80%+ (except two, both being played for less than 20 games which makes them unusable due to low battle Count).

Show me These People that have 80%+ WRs on their CVs, preferably with enough games to be valid.

Members
702 posts

I

32 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You give them axes.

The thought was along the lines of handicapp as with several different sports. The 80 percent 10000 game Captain has his variables nerfed. The 40% 300 game Captain is buffed. But how do you prevent new accounts and then games thrown?  The arguments were made in much better detail then I see here and the results were Bot Captains. The AX argument was made in that give the loser a Midway and the pro a Langley. Once again how do you get around new accounts?