You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LcdrSwizzle

Graf Spee main gun range

16 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
16 posts
2,704 battles

I do think that the Graf Spee should have greater main battery range, and that it's secondaries have also been "nerfed" from what they could do in real life.

However, I do realize that "game balance" is important. So, here's a thought about a change to that ship:

Right now, it can only carry a Fighter. What about letting it carry a Spotter as well?

Thanks for the upcoming discussion!

• Funny 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,935 posts
6,063 battles

Long range is that ships weakness, perhaps a buff to the secondaries but even then the ship already performs well vs equal tier ships. As is I love that ship, 1 vs 1 against a BB and my money is on the Spee if well handled...torps for the win!

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles

The only change she could fairly use would be a buff to secondary range. As she stands, she's still quite competitive in her MM spread.

Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles
3 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

The only change she could fairly use would be a buff to secondary range. As she stands, she's still quite competitive in her MM spread.

Is she not still tops in her tier? I think she is fine now. I have her.  She can be kinda tricky to play.  However if they ever buff her range that's ok with me!  I use the added secondary range signal when I play her.  I got a bunch of those.

Beta Testers
599 posts
5,313 battles
3 hours ago, LcdrSwizzle said:

I do think that the Graf Spee should have greater main battery range, and that it's secondaries have also been "nerfed" from what they could do in real life.

However, I do realize that "game balance" is important. So, here's a thought about a change to that ship:

Right now, it can only carry a Fighter. What about letting it carry a Spotter as well?

Because the ship with only having 2 turrets with 6 main battery guns would not suite well at long range. Her main battery is more than useful at the range she is. In terms of secondaries you must remember that she is a pocket battleship, but classified as a cruiser in game. This means that she was never gonna have any dependable secondaries. But her lack of secondaries is made up for with the amazing torpedo arcs on her stern.

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles
4 hours ago, LcdrSwizzle said:

I feel Graf Spee main gun range is good for tier VI, and is actually more generous than some same tier cruisers get or even some tier 7s or 8s get. Also up to 16km is where he shells may be effective, in game just like in real life, the velocity of a shell starts falling off as soon as it leaves the gun especially on flat trajectory. Although shells that using high shell arc can pick up some velocity again onnthe second half of their arc as they fall back down, but still usually less than the velocity of when they left the gun that fired them.

And most or all weapons in game are nerfed from real world versions, and it makes good sense since imagine some BBs getting 20km ranged secondary guns? Lol it would be insanity.

@LittleWhiteMouse has an excellent review she did onnGraf Spee recently and there are some good vidioes on it on YouTube.

Graf Spee Secondary has BBs can be improved with equipment and Advanced Fire Training skill, if the secondary range bothers you. Although personally I just go with AFT skill and go with aiming Mod 1 for main battery gun aim since I value that highly, and still buffs secondary range a little. The 8km torpedoes are the main close range weapon Graf Spee has, and do more damage than her secondary guns would do if they were the same range.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
1,722 posts
9,150 battles

Hey

Too many people think because the guns are "Scharnhorst" caliber that they should be identical.  I would disagree to that point BUT I do think that the range is rather low at 16 km, maybe they should be closer to something in the 16.5 km would be better, as there are several cruisers with much smaller guns that shoot more than the 16 m guns they have now.  Overall, the Graf Spee is a great little ship than is very fun, very capable.   Her biggest asset is those torps at 8km which beats out her T9/T10 sisters which is absolutely stupid ( give the Roon and Hindy at least the same 8km torps, and still be less than their competitors).  I love the Graf Spee, one of my favorites.

Pete 

Members
679 posts
4,578 battles

Odd, I've never considered the gun range on the Graf Spee to be an issue. The only issues I've ever had are speed and the number of gun barrels. I think she's a nicely balanced ship overall.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
586 posts
1,216 battles

Instead of gun range, I think a better measure of potential is the difference between gun range and detectability...the more wiggle room you have in that range, the better.

Beta Testers
16 posts
2,704 battles

Part of my point, is that the other German BB's and Cruisers get the spotting planes. I think it would not make her "op" if she got the spotting plane she historically deserves. Great comments above from all, thanks!

<edited> Even with a spotting plane, her main gun range will be much shorter than Scharnhorst. She has the same 2nd's as Bismarck and Tirpitz and her range is MUCH shorter. I understand that she has to be nerfed because she can't be a tier VII, yet she should at least get a better "nod" to what she could really do.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,333 battles
On 8/14/2018 at 6:24 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Although shells...can pick up some velocity again on the second half of their arc as they fall back down, but still usually less than the velocity of when they left the gun that fired them.

That would be "always." Always.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles
7 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

That would be "always." Always.

True it is always for most guns, but I can think of some guns that fire today and the projectile hits target faster than when it left the gun. So wanted to have my bases covered just in case because while I know a lot about WWI and WWII, I know there are many things I still don’t know even after years of study.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,333 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

but I can think of some guns that fire today and the projectile hits target faster than when it left the gun.

Anything that does that, the projectile  has its own propellant, and falls more into the category of a rocket or missile.

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles
30 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Anything that does that, the projectile  has its own propellant, and falls more into the category of a rocket or missile.

That is true or I think some specialized armor piercing shells will fire a central core into a target upon the main shell hitting outer armor.

[SPUD1]
Members
39 posts
4,887 battles

How about a scuttle feature you can steal a kill from someone when you are about to die. And maybe give no points to the opposite team when you die. Think about this you and one enemy ship left. Your team is up by Just a few points but the enemy just capped, you scuttle yourself and get the win.