You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PactofSteel

Zuiho

6 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
211 battles

New here, and just started playing a bit of CV play.. i noticed the Zuiho for some reason only has the D1A... you can upgrade to the A6 and the B5, but not update the Dive bombers, i actually like using dive bombers more, but noticed the D1s are kinda crap in the higher tier type matches..  what gives?

[MIA-P]
[MIA-P]
Members
74 posts
10,697 battles

IJN are focused on torpedoes, I prefer USN bombers they are tought and they have a speciel feathure at tier VIII to tier X. They have AP bomb which can citadel many ships and does alot of damage especially germans BBs

Members
3 posts
211 battles

okay, thats fine, then why not give zuiho 3 Torps planes, remove the old outdated and outclass dive bomber?  or, just 1 fighter and 2 torp groups...

[HINON]
Members
10,098 posts
52 minutes ago, PactofSteel said:

okay, thats fine, then why not give zuiho 3 Torps planes, remove the old outdated and outclass dive bomber?  or, just 1 fighter and 2 torp groups...

3 torp squads on zuiho would be OP. You use the db to get people to use their dcp and then flood them. You can also use the db to scout and spot especially after dropping the payload as they go faster.

[STW-M]
Members
2,521 posts
6,425 battles
22 hours ago, PactofSteel said:

New here, and just started playing a bit of CV play.. i noticed the Zuiho for some reason only has the D1A... you can upgrade to the A6 and the B5, but not update the Dive bombers, i actually like using dive bombers more, but noticed the D1s are kinda crap in the higher tier type matches..  what gives?

If you want to use dive bombers a lot, I'm afraid you're playing the wrong CV line.

While both nations' dive bombers stay relatively equal in power up through tier 7, the USN at tier 8 get both 1000 lb HE bombs and AP bombs, which sacrifice the ability to deal fire/module damage for the ability to outright delete certain ships and a more accurate (though with less margin of error) bombing pattern.

IJN dive bombers are mainly used for fire damage, finishing off low-health ships, and spotting (assuming you drop their bombs, they can outright most fighters). They also have a smaller drop area than USN dive bombers.

The IJN CVs focus instead on torpedo bombers, which are quite a bit more consistent at dealing damage (assuming you drop correctly) than dive bombers (in which even a perfect drop on a still target can still possibly land zero hits).

With both nations' CVs, certain ships have to make do with down-tierred planes (the only CV I'm aware of that gets better planes than normal for its tier is Saipan). With the IJN, you also have to deal with tier 6 torpedo bombers on Hiryu and for stock Shokaku (aka the only time so far I've ever used free xp on a CV—tier 6 planes in a tier 10 game simply aren't feasible). For the USN, Essex and Midway have to make do with fighters of one tier lower and tier 8 torpedo bombers (although Midway does finally get 2 squadrons instead of the one like all the other USN CVs).

Members
14 posts
2,959 battles

I've been  playing the Zuiho for a few months.
I've learned that Japanese fighter planes are in need of commander skill point(s) upgrades to make them competitive against other Zuiho carriers, let alone against US carriers of the same or a higher tier.  (That doesn't mean that IJN fighter planes don't get shot down, by superior numbers of enemy planes or in conjunction with heavy AA fire.  It just means that they last longer and have a higher chance of scoring kills.)
I've also learned the having two torpedo squadrons is useful.
I use the one bomber squadron to hunt destroyers or to supplement the damage done by the torpedo planes.
Sending all your planes at once to the same ship offers a higher chance of them surviving a wall of flak (though losses still happen).

Timing the torpedo drops to force a ship to commit to a turn and then hitting them again (1 torpedo wave followed by another torpedo drop after a ship has begun its' turn) while they're committed to a course they can't easily change has provided some measure of success (in co-op and sometimes in random).  
As a famous anime Captain said, "Aim carefully, men.  Those are <insert-name-of-enemy-here> ships out there".
Otherwise, use the more classic tactic of having the torpedo planes come in via the two O'clock and 10 o'clock viewing angles of the target ship and timing the two squadron's drops to happen at the same time.
Having friendly fighter planes nearby to draw AA fire or to engage enemy fighter planes also helps.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws