Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AVR_Project

Second look at the Ranger - IT HAS CHANGED !!

3 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,578 posts
10,040 battles

After witnessing operators proficiently using the Ranger in recent operations, I bought it back from the scrap-heap.

Had a spare open 8 point captain from the Baltimore (cruiser thing), and trained over.  Since I'm starting it out in Co-Op, I won't need the Dogfighting Expert - since I'll be facing another Ranger.

Skills are Aircraft Servicing Expert, Expert Rear Gunner, and Torpedo Arm Expert and leave 2 points open to train up with Elite XP for Air Supremacy later on (don't need it now).

First surprise:  Top hull has 73 planes in the hanger !!!   Lexington only has 72.  Hiryu also has 73, Saipan has 48 T9 planes, and the Kaga has a whopping 85 T6 planes.

Here is what the Ranger will be facing:

Planes in the air (assume Air Supremacy)  FF-TT-BB:

Ranger:  7-6-14 == 27 planes

Hiryu:  10-8-10 == 28 planes (the torp bombers are T6) -- Strike 2-2-2

Hiryu:  15-4-10 == 29 planes -- AS 3-1-2

Saipan:  8-6-0 == 14 planes -- strike

Saipan:  12-0-9 == 21 planes -- AS

Kaga:  10-12-7 == 29 planes

The other load-outs are garbage in my opinion.

Torpedoes rule the damage farm, so the Kaga has the greatest potential for that.  AS Hiryu and Saipan can wipe the sky if need be.

But...   But...  But...  What about Co-Op?  In Co-op, you will only be facing a Ranger.  And there is only one load-out - so no surprise AS to shut down your strike load.

From what I remember, the strike Ranger used to be 0-1-2, so it's a strike with fighters, or an expanded 1-1-1 load.  I'm happy about that.

How about Operations?  The US planes are stronger, and with the new load, are more versatile in Narai and Ultimate Frontier.

---- 

I think we have a whole new toy here.  After a couple battles, I must admit, I actually had fun...  never happened on the old one.

Ranger_Improved_D.jpg

Ranger_Improved_C.jpg

Ranger_Improved_B.jpg

Ranger_Improved_A.jpg

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,578 posts
10,040 battles

I've taken the Kaga, Saipan, and Hiryu into Final Frontier.

They all got a win, but it was a major struggle with zero planes at the end.  Twice, I was the only ship left -- huddled inside the harbor.

Sad when your planes get shot down the moment they launch.  The T7+ bot cruisers must have 200 AA ratings with DF permanently turned on.

But the IJN planes are waaaaay too weak, and the Saipan simply doesn't have enough planes to be effective across the board.  It's better to bring a Belfast or Indianapolis than the Hiryu, Saipan, or Kaga.

However, twice - We had 'rebalanced' Rangers in there and it seemed to do the job.  The planes didn't get wiped out, and actually helped out a great deal more than an extra cruiser.

So I'll try the Ranger out the next time a T7 operation cycles around.

[LWS]
[LWS]
Members
63 posts
6,693 battles
On 8/10/2018 at 11:25 PM, AVR_Project said:

From what I remember, the strike Ranger used to be 0-1-2, so it's a strike with fighters, or an expanded 1-1-1 load.  I'm happy about that

In the days of old, Ranger and Lexington used to have 1-1-1 as default / stock load out,  0-1-3  was Strike and 2-0-2 was Air Supremacy. What you are describing is an old Independence 0-1-2 Strike  load out and 2-0-1 was Air Supremacy.
... And now for the "Funny" bit...
The "Old" 1-1-1 had 24 planes of each type, +1 dive bomber. 
The "New and Improved" 1-1-2  has 18 fighters , 18 torpedo planes, 37 RNGessus bombers.... 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this