You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
attackcamel

Advanced DD play

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
58 posts
2,289 battles

Hey guys, I'm a pretty average DD player. I have some excellent games where I get 6 digits of damage and some duds where I catch a random torp out of the gate and... explode. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the basics, but I  struggle to know when to make my moves and read the map properly. Dealing consistent damage is a problem. Currently playing mostly in tiers 7 through 10 on all but the pan Asian lol line. Do you guys know of any videos or guides that could help me out? Thsnks!

Members
760 posts
7,295 battles
19 minutes ago, attackcamel said:

Hey guys, I'm a pretty average DD player. I have some excellent games where I get 6 digits of damage and some duds where I catch a random torp out of the gate and... explode. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the basics, but I  struggle to know when to make my moves and read the map properly. Dealing consistent damage is a problem. Currently playing mostly in tiers 7 through 10 on all but the pan Asian lol line. Do you guys know of any videos or guides that could help me out? Thsnks!

This fella has some pretty good DD match analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CVV_QxU4CesZL5pvdJw4A

[THOR]
Members
219 posts
4,305 battles

Highly recommend his videos. His map awareness is great. I am learning this skill of map awareness.

[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
116 posts
13,753 battles

I would also recommend videos by Notser    A DD main himself.   He gives, IMO, nicely detailed reviews and tips on all ships and does a good job talking tactics and breaking down game mechanics.     Getting blaped (or a self inflicted derp) is a fact of life for a DD player especially an aggressive DD driver.  Especially for an aggressive, team focused one (again IMO).   Your biggest gains will come from taking a few minutes after a blapping/derping to analyze your actions and other information you had prior to your demise (located?, surprised by radar?, charging in without support?, etc).   Identify what might have been a bad decision and keep that in mind as you go into your next game and try something different.  Better game play is all about making fewer bad decisions/guesses/assumptions.   

On top of all that, in order to be a successful DD driver you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the ships you face.  Detection range/duration, Radar range, speed, secondary range, weapon system range, even broad tendencies of those that drive the ship (the spots were US CA/CL like to lurk for example).   "It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in sixty five of hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."  (I modified the quote for WoWs pub games :P)

• Cool 1

[CUTIE]
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
On 8/8/2018 at 1:30 AM, ddoubletapp1 said:

This fella has some pretty good DD match analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CVV_QxU4CesZL5pvdJw4A

Agreed. :Smile_great:

Two other YouTube/Twitch channels I'd highly recommend checking out would be Flambass and Mejash.  Both are among the best destroyer players in the game, and both are very good at explaining fairly advanced topics in an easily understood manner.

As always, there's one other video collection that's worth checking out for any player earnestly looking into improving--your own.  If you haven't already, enable replays in your game client and take the time to play back battles where you felt a bit lost; in most cases, a relatively experienced Warships player should be able to identify immediately what they did which resulted in their ship being sunk (i.e., pushed alone into an area where there were likely to be multiple enemy ships, sat broadside relative to a suspected enemy DD's position in your smoke, failed to react quickly enough to your nearby teammates getting mauled, etc).  In cases where you can't immediately point to something you could have done better in a battle, you can often identify areas of improvement by re-watching in third person and paying more attention to what's going on around you in the battle than you might have been able to in real time.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
2,541 posts
11,431 battles
On 8/8/2018 at 1:09 AM, attackcamel said:

Feel free to join the CUTE Discord.  When I get time between comp, training clan members, and my Dinos I div with guys that would like some pointers.

CUTE