You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CraftsyDad

New Love for Yugumo

9 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
4,476 battles

Somewhere on this forum some players were advocating for dropping smoke and going with the Torpedo Reload Module instead. Admittedly letting go of the safety blanket that is smoke was tough for me but the arguments against it with all these radar ships in the game made some sense. So I gave it a go and am having a blast. You really have to watch your distance to radar cruisers but its awesome. I'm not sure what the shimmy is like but being able to cut loose that many torps in a matter of seconds is addictive. I also just got the torpedo rearmament reload captain skill (tier 3) and thats nice too.

Thinking about whether I want to add torpedo acceleration. It would reduce the 12km range down quite a bit. Any thoughts on what torp combo and captain skills are best for the Yugumo?

The below game is the most damage I have been able to do so far. Still lost. Most of that damage was against BBs who really had it in for me when I was spotted

Screenshot 2018-08-02 22.33.32.png

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,299 posts
14,440 battles

Do not take torp acceleration.

Moskva 11.7 radar and Des Moines 9.9 will ruin you.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,188 posts
14,844 battles
59 minutes ago, CraftsyDad said:

Somewhere on this forum some players were advocating for dropping smoke and going with the Torpedo Reload Module instead. Admittedly letting go of the safety blanket that is smoke was tough for me but the arguments against it with all these radar ships in the game made some sense. So I gave it a go and am having a blast. You really have to watch your distance to radar cruisers but its awesome. I'm not sure what the shimmy is like but being able to cut loose that many torps in a matter of seconds is addictive. I also just got the torpedo rearmament reload captain skill (tier 3) and thats nice too.

Thinking about whether I want to add torpedo acceleration. It would reduce the 12km range down quite a bit. Any thoughts on what torp combo and captain skills are best for the Yugumo?

The below game is the most damage I have been able to do so far. Still lost. Most of that damage was against BBs who really had it in for me when I was spotted

I totally agree with you, the Yugumo actually has a shorter cooldown than the shima, which makes it my favorite DD to play most of the time.

I stick to 12 km (10 km on the kagero) just because I like to keep the speed consistent at 67 knots - that way you can switch easily kagero - yugumo - shima, without having to adjust very much.

My one issue with the shima is being forced to equip smoke, which is useless as you point out o7

Edited by Commander_367

[SYN]
Members
851 posts
7,991 battles
On 8/8/2018 at 12:28 AM, CraftsyDad said:

Somewhere on this forum some players were advocating for dropping smoke and going with the Torpedo Reload Module instead.

Welcome to the dark side. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,594 posts
13,766 battles

oh yea.. I love my Yugumo much more then I love my Shimi..And it's not any one thing but the whole package.  12K torp very usable, TRB VERY usable.  Gun performance is solid, and only take a small bit of tweak to the set up to ensure you don't out turn your turret traverse allowing you to keep guns on target.  Those IJN 127's are very accurate guns within their range and they hit pretty hard which is good because your usually at a rate of fire disadvantage.  It not a gun boat but the guns do work.

I highly recommend that you take either Concealment Expert or the Concealment module, but you don't need to take both.  I've dropped CE to take RPF on mine and usually have plenty of warning there an opposing DD out there.  It also handy for tracking down hiders.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,099 battles

Yugumo is  fantastic DD. I love it compared to the Shima. I run mine with full concealment and torp reload, with BFT and turret rotation. Great, flat shooting hard hitting guns, and a fast torp reload, plus TRB for those 16 torp walls of skill make it insanely easy to slap DDs and stack floods. 

It's one of those ships I take breaks from, and every time I go back I always think 'why don't I play this more often?'