You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RighteousRhyno

Which ship do you prefer to get first? Alaska or Jean Bart?

If you could only choose 1 ship, would you prefer to get the Alaska or Jean Bart based on the current stats?   

219 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only choose 1 ship, would you prefer to get the Alaska or Jean Bart based on the current stats?

• Alaska
    • Jean Bart

83 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Members
397 posts
3,228 battles

Curious on what people would take first if players had the option to choose only 1 ship between Alaska and Jean Bart.

I was planning to get Musashi for Yamamoto, but now I'm going to plan scrap those plans to grab Alaska. What will you guys prefer?

Members
1,454 posts
8,361 battles

if jean bart is good, i will take it over the alaska.  I already have 2 premium US cruisers, + tier 10 CA and tier 9 CL.   It wouldn't do much outside of some credits and elite captain xp.

jean bart on the other hand will help with grinding my french BB captain.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,630 posts
11,692 battles

I've played Richelieu, I didn't like it and despite JB looking better she likely won't be that 'different'.

Alaska on the other hand is an interesting fusion of traits I've not seen before.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,170 posts
4,934 battles

This isn't even a contest. If I want an approximation of the Jean Bart experience I'll just take out my Richelieu. If I want the Alaska experience my only option is... Oh yeah, there is none. I can live without MBRB, but Alaska's just unique for the USN.

And don't anyone go saying "but Kronstahdt/Moska/Henri IV/*other high tier battlecruiser I've probably forgotten*!" Those aren't an Alaska. They're close if you squint at them the right way, maybe, but they're not near close enough. I'll take the USN's only battlecruiser "large cruiser" and live with only having Jean Bart's sister.

[SVF]
Members
1,161 posts
1,597 battles

Tough choice for me, since I really would like to get both.  I'd *probably* get Alaska first though; I've been waiting for her longer.

[PNP]
Members
397 posts
3,228 battles
25 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

alaska of course

are you a troll or something )

Nope, WiP Jean Bart looks competitive too as I've seen a lot of players just throw themselves at it to find out they underestimated their opponent. I also don't have the Richelieu so Jean Bart gives me an excuse to stop grinding the French BB line for the T8. Maybe people are attached to the baguette ships? :Smile_Default:

[SVF]
Members
1,161 posts
1,597 battles

I think the phrase "uptiered Richelieu", while technically accurate, is also somewhat misleading.  T8 ships are routinely sacrifices for the T10s anyway, so being T9 doesn't really change anything wrt MM or the ships you'd face (maybe the occasional chance to beat up hapless T6s, but that's not common these days).

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
3,937 battles

Jean Bart, if WG does her properly. If not, then it's an even toss-up.

By properly, I mean making Jean Bart appropriately superior to Richelieu, as she was historically.

• Better TDS due to larger bulge
  • Better AA
  • Better secondaries (she needs Alsace's or Republique's secondary range)
  • And whatever main gun buffs she's getting

That would make her a solid T9, even if she only has 8x 15" guns, allowing her to be a semi-selfish bomb resistant boat and a great support BB pushing up and using a combo of main guns and secondaries for damage. Do recall that most T9 and T10 cruisers can also bounce 15" shells, so it wouldn't be OP.

• Cool 2

[KP]
Members
370 posts
202 battles

Definitely not getting JB just on principal. They nerfed a tech tree ship just to move JB up and make people pay money to get it, I'm definitely not cool with that. I will never have Jean Bart in my Port.

• Cool 6

Members
2,082 posts
3,892 battles

The main batter reload booster is an interesting gimmick and I could see it leading to some devastating strikes against enemy ships but...gonna have to say Alaska.  The Jean Bart takes away the secondary gimmick that I love so much about the French high tiers and replaces it with a reload gimmick on a ship with 380mm guns.  Which I guess is the safest place to put something that potentially dangerous.  Its just not for me.

• Cool 1

Members
686 posts
3,823 battles

Bart needs strong secondaries or laser like accuracy to have a hope of competing. Current iteration is basically a Rich with reload booster consumable, faster heal, up a tier. Not enough to compensate for only 8 guns that wont even touch 27mm bow. 

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
273 posts
6,791 battles

Jean Bart is to Richelieu what Alabama is to Massachusetts. They may be sisters, but they play completely different. That said, I still want both ships, but Alaska comes first.

Members
398 posts
6,793 battles

I've been waiting for the Alaska since I first started playing the game.  I just always felt it would be a Tier 7 like the Scharnhorst. Will be interesting to see her in action at Tier 9. I to was almost about to drop 750k on the Musashi or Kron, but then I saw the dev post about the Alaska. So I topped off a few ships that needed modules or completed, left myself just a little over 750k, and now around 820k saved up.  Maybe by the time it drops, I can afford two ships!

[WOLF3]
Members
19,699 posts
18,076 battles

This is NA server so don't be surprised to see Alaska pull ahead in the poll.

That said, I picked Alaska for several reasons.

1.  People had been asking for Alaska-class for years.  I remember people talking about it even when I joined in Late Summer 2015 Open Beta, and it likely is even older.  Alaska requests are as old as South Dakota, Yorktown class requests.

2.  An American "Battlecruiser" or "Large Cruiser" or however the f--k you want to call it is a 2-time deal for the USN (Alaska herself and sister Guam).  The USN in WoWS timeframe was either into traditional CA, CL, and BBs, nothing in between.  Except for the 2 ships of the Alaska-class.

3.  USS Alaska was real and served during WWII.

4.  She looks sexeh.

5.  She's a big departure from the typical USN Cruiser setup and gameplay.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,178 posts
6,879 battles

I really originally wanted Jean Bart, but not as a FXP T9 with an improved heal and a special ability to prop it up. I had doubts about the ubercruiser/battlecruiser concept on T9, but Krontstadt seems to be working out satisfactorily so Alaska should perform about as well. That pushed Alaska up to the top of my list of ships to get. Jean Bart T9 is now just ahead of Mushashi (which I have little interest in). 

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,078 posts
6,207 battles

From Zoup's review, the JB seems built to punish the Alaska......that reload booster....damn.