You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SonOfABritch2ndClass

One of World of Warships biggest problem that no one addresses

41 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
14,208 battles

This is one of the biggest problems in world of warships right now that no one seems to talk about. World of Warships is a World of Tanks clone with tanks that have ****** mobility overall with warship skins. Its ironic that WG made bad advice #5 as saying dont camp behind islands but everything they have put in the game has caused battleship and cruiser players to play like in World of Tanks, while DD's have to deal with Radar and Sonar that goes through islands. Hell its why ocean map is the most hated map in the game. EVERYTHING in the game needs islands to survive at high tiers. BBs and CA's need it because bow tanking is the only way they will survive for long periods so they dont get flanked and get instakilled for showing their side. They cant turn for ****** when you pick the wrong flank you bow on and reverse rather than you know, TURN AROUND! DDs need islands because they are focused to death the moment they are spotted with radar and/or sonar even though they are the only ships that can move freely. This game has too many overly effective offensive options and too few defensive options, that are not consumable based

t

• Cool 8

[NG-NL]
Members
5,776 posts
9,443 battles

Campfest is a problem, but these cause it:

1) MB accuracy and offensive firepower keep improving w/ each tier, few exceptions.

2)Defense doesn't scale up after T8--see it in cruiser frontal armor, and especially T9-10 BBs become more sluggish.

3) Add in that T8-10 MB rounds will fly much faster than earlier tiers. This is why concealment builds are the norm and most are reluctant to push--there's little room for escape if overextend.

If WG is going to address this problem, one of these will have to change.

I have said before WG could erase campfest by capping max acquisition range at like 14km or so, which essentially means red ships don't render on your screen unless 14km or less away. However, unless the defense lack gets corrected, it would be very impractical at least--and at worst, cause a ton of backlash on the forums w/ ragequits and complaints.

Thing is WG is reluctant to try resolving this. They're about the money, not necessarily LT planning for retaining paying customers like me.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,194 posts

There is a difference between camping behind islands and positioning yourself where you are mostly covered and concealed but also have a chance to fire back at the enemy. If we stuck our head's out from cover too far in Basic we'd get our helmets kicked off by the drill sergeants. If we didn't move out far enough to fire our weapons properly then it was our posteriors that got kicked. It didn't take too many times of that before we learned to be effective yet not expose ourselves too much. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 5

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,918 battles

I don't use islands and rarely ever bow tank. And suicidal DDs who are brain dead because they can't think of any other option but to charge the cap at the start of a match without first scouting for radar ships and die in less than 5 min because of it are causing the rest of the team to be passive / overly defensive.

Wish there was a stat that showed avg game duration survived in each class of ship for every player. I bet less than 30% of the player base is over 10 min when playing destroyers which is sick.

DDs are like rooks in chess, their real power comes later when less pieces (ships) are on the board. Players play them like pawns and derp them too soon and it's the number one reason why so many players suck at DD.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,934 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

There is a difference between camping behind islands and positioning yourself where you are mostly covered and concealed but also have a chance to fire back at the enemy. If we stuck our head's out from cover too far in Basic we'd get our helmets kicked off by the drill sergeants. it didn't take too many times of that before we learned not to expose ourselves. 

^^This.

An exposed CL is a dead CL. Granted, parking behind an island is not the only or best way to do this, but it's a common one. You've got to find that happy medium between "not contributing" and wearing a sign that says "FREE TARGET!".

[REVY]
Members
6,149 posts
5,158 battles
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There is a difference between camping behind islands and positioning yourself where you are mostly covered and concealed but also have a chance to fire back at the enemy. If we stuck our head's out from cover too far in Basic we'd get our helmets kicked off by the drill sergeants. If we didn't move out far enough to fire our weapons properly then it was our posteriors that got kicked. It didn't take too many times of that before we learned to be effective yet not expose ourselves too much. 

Nah, let's just yolo into the guns!

hD0ewQk.gif

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,299 posts
14,440 battles
45 minutes ago, Reymu said:

1) MB accuracy and offensive firepower keep improving w/ each tier, few exceptions.

2)Defense doesn't scale up after T8--see it in cruiser frontal armor, and especially T9-10 BBs become more sluggish.

3) Add in that T8-10 MB rounds will fly much faster than earlier tiers. This is why concealment builds are the norm and most are reluctant to push--there's little room for escape if overextend.

I have said before WG could erase campfest by capping max acquisition range at like 14km or so, which essentially means red ships don't render on your screen unless 14km or less away. However, unless the defense lack gets corrected, it would be very impractical at least--and at worst, cause a ton of backlash on the forums w/ ragequits and complaints.

Thing is WG is reluctant to try resolving this. They're about the money, not necessarily LT planning for retaining paying customers like me.

Why the does 1 DD, 2 cruisers and 2 battleships roll a team when pushing together aggressively?

It is those battleships that camp in back of map and snipe, too afraid to provide close in tanking and support to cruisers and destroyers... that are more the norm now.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
9,061 battles

I'll say it again: high tier BBs need a massive accuracy nerf and in balance high tier cruisers need a fire nerf.

High tiers aren't like tanks. It's more like a paint ball tournament with everybody hiding knowing they'll get smashed when the run out in the open.

• Cool 2

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,918 battles
1 hour ago, Scotty_SE said:

I'll say it again: high tier BBs need a massive accuracy nerf and in balance high tier cruisers need a fire nerf.

High tiers aren't like tanks. It's more like a paint ball tournament with everybody hiding knowing they'll get smashed when the run out in the open.

It's not my problem so many players can't dish out citadels and massive damage at 20+ km out.  People should maybe learn how to time shots and predict turns better.  You can tell how bad so many players are at it if you simply use the A and D key every now and then.  Long range sniping is an art.  A true skill.  And those that master it are rewarded for it just like any other skill in the game.

• Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,227 posts
14,287 battles

It's strange to me that the OP acknowledges the power of flanking, but still says island camping is the way to go. One of those beats the other.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,741 posts
18,118 battles
4 hours ago, Reymu said:

Do you remember when WG was thinking about nerfing BB bow armor so that bow camping would no longer be possible?

:Smile_Default:

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
589 posts
2,738 battles

It wasn't like this in the beginning but after a while people started sailing ships like they drove tanks. First time I ever saw this I thought, and hoped, it was an anomaly and some rookie WoT player that had stumbled in to the "wrong game" but for some reason it just caught on and now we've got peekaboo and reverse/bow-tanking tactics pretty much from tier 7 and up (some times lower). I get that for some it's all about The-win but in a game with boats it looks completely out of place and silly to say the least. Reason no one addresses this is probably because there's no good ways thought up yet on how to counter it and make people not do it and/or WG has just given up and don't give a hoot. WG has always said that gameplay > simulation so they do have some room to "make things up" as they go though, they could set up a random chance of an engine breakdown once you go in reverse f.ex. and make you waste one repair cycle on it for one. Probably lots of fictional ways to get around it, but will they? We'll just have to see.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
5,854 posts
21,336 battles

This is only valid if

a) BB try to stack behind some rock

b) the CL still sit behind his rock even the battle moved on to another part of the map

and

c) the CL sit there even there is something better to do like finding a DD in the back or supporting the own DD's

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Do you remember when WG was thinking about nerfing BB bow armor so that bow camping would no longer be possible?

:Smile_Default:

Man I would have laughed for ages had that went through.  The forum rants and posts would have been priceless.  Still think it should have went through.  Might have encouraged a little skill known as angling.  Can't nerf BBs though, would be an absurd idea.

Members
4,466 posts
7,209 battles

It is a very early video and things change.  Not all ships need islands or can fire over them but they are handy if you need to block shots/LOS.  Only way to do anything about it is to make all maps be Ocean and that is plainly not viable.

There are a crap ton of ways for BB drivers to mitigate fires - problem is some BB drivers don't want to have to do anything to mitigate fires and complain instead.  I am a BB main - they can be dealt with.  I rarely die of just a fire. 

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
2,617 posts
16,009 battles
1 hour ago, Aeries1 said:

Man I would have laughed for ages had that went through.  The forum rants and posts would have been priceless.  Still think it should have went through.  Might have encouraged a little skill known as angling.  Can't nerf BBs though, would be an absurd idea.

Yeah I think they really seriously need to nerf the dispersion of battleships guns over 15K maybe even look at getting rid of citadels from battleship to cruiser 

I can't blame cruisers for hiding When a battleship can one shot a cruiser they wonder why nobody wants to fly them  Heck even without citadels they still do super damage

And then you have radar that goes through mountains that allows people just a sit back and hide also

Also fixed maps with current radar and automatic notification if your detected means nobody can push through the "lines" to flank so again why would a battleship need to move

Then you have engines that accelerate decelerate like speedboats and have super rudders  also again giving  Unrealistic maneuver so they can get away with all kinds of Actions that real battleship couldn't do

And then you have year after year of nerfs to destroyers allowing battleships again to get away with anything they want

But again that Not gonna happen Battleship admirals rule this game and nobody's gonna change that any time soon

Why do people  like lower tier games more then upper? Because lower tier games are fun with movement and unknowns and surprises, bb dont hit well over 15k and are slow also no radar

Upper tier is just the opposite 

WG panders to the inexperience battleship players and they get what they created

A bad game designed just for them

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
3,982 posts
2,408 battles
8 hours ago, Reymu said:

WG has decided the route to go is to make the offensive firepower even more lethal.  IFHE, DWT, AP bombs, torp reload booster and now the new main battery reload booster.  This approach is a big catch 22.  Look at radar, WG adds radar and DDs play more stealthily now than before radar.  WG decided to add more radar to "fix" that and DDs are now passive.  Its the same with  offensive firepower, the more WG increases it, the more the detrimental it becomes to the game.  At some point WG will add some much radar/offensive firepower they will break the game.  I think we are getting close to that point now.  

I'm not sure what the answer is, I just know what WG is doing isn't working all that well.  I have a feeling WG isn't going to "fix" the game, at least the game as we know it.  No, what they will do is change it to something much different that what most of the early players were/are attracted to, a slower paced game heavily based on naval history.  WG will end up making this fortnite/pubg on water.  Too bad, I liked the game as it was originally intended.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
2,067 posts

Any game that has a "us" versus "them" skill base usually fails.  

Read what has been said above.    Do you see two threads of thought?  Attack or defend.  More power or less power?  More accurate or less accurate?  etc....

WoTs is so stupid any of us that are "tankers" can't go near the game because it is sooooooooooo childishly stupid.  Oh gosh, the Google experts that have never touched a real piece of armor......Oy vey....!

My Clan has real sailors in it.   What do you think they say about WoWs???  They play and hold their breath every once and a while as I do.....  Take radar. A sales gimmick testing the market for an era creep....to expand WoWs into the bluer waters of the 1950 and 1960's.....  If you ever played "Harpoon" or some other modern naval game, pray we don't go there........

Us and them.....  Good and Bad....  Extremes and one side will eventually win and when that happens, we will lose the entire middle segment of the game and WG will have to make a choice as to whom to server and the game itself, becomes a shell of itself.....  food for thought, yes?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
183 posts
6,722 battles

I think radar should be max 10 sec. and reload time should be a bit faster. It's a tool to take a peek to see what's close to you or at least that's what it should be.  Gun range should come down BBs around 15, CA and CL's around 12 and DD's something around 10,  I don't know maybe it would slow the game down to much but that's my 2 cents anyway.

Members
2,528 posts
5,363 battles
10 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

WG has decided the route to go is to make the offensive firepower even more lethal.  IFHE, DWT, AP bombs, torp reload booster and now the new main battery reload booster.  This approach is a big catch 22.  Look at radar, WG adds radar and DDs play more stealthily now than before radar.  WG decided to add more radar to "fix" that and DDs are now passive.  Its the same with  offensive firepower, the more WG increases it, the more the detrimental it becomes to the game.  At some point WG will add some much radar/offensive firepower they will break the game.  I think we are getting close to that point now.  

I'm not sure what the answer is, I just know what WG is doing isn't working all that well.  I have a feeling WG isn't going to "fix" the game, at least the game as we know it.  No, what they will do is change it to something much different that what most of the early players were/are attracted to, a slower paced game heavily based on naval history.  WG will end up making this fortnite/pubg on water.  Too bad, I liked the game as it was originally intended.

6 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Any game that has a "us" versus "them" skill base usually fails.  

Read what has been said above.    Do you see two threads of thought?  Attack or defend.  More power or less power?  More accurate or less accurate?  etc....

WoTs is so stupid any of us that are "tankers" can't go near the game because it is sooooooooooo childishly stupid.  Oh gosh, the Google experts that have never touched a real piece of armor......Oy vey....!

My Clan has real sailors in it.   What do you think they say about WoWs???  They play and hold their breath every once and a while as I do.....  Take radar. A sales gimmick testing the market for an era creep....to expand WoWs into the bluer waters of the 1950 and 1960's.....  If you ever played "Harpoon" or some other modern naval game, pray we don't go there........

Us and them.....  Good and Bad....  Extremes and one side will eventually win and when that happens, we will lose the entire middle segment of the game and WG will have to make a choice as to whom to server and the game itself, becomes a shell of itself.....  food for thought, yes?

Excellent points, gentlemen.

I think WG's intent with all the changes has been to try and speed the game up. The more games you play, the more resources you need, and the more likely you are to spend money on the game. No real surprise there.

I think you're onto something though about the very things they add to try and speed it up are actually slowing it down. As a DD main, I go TO caps, I am NEAR caps, but other than to try and sucker out a CAs radar, I don't go in until or unless I've gone through an entire checklist of things to verify and it's clear. Used to be, two DDs would go into a cap and knife fight, while cruisers tried to help while dodging BB fire. Now people hold well short, sniffing around, until one poor soul sneaks into the cap, it turns red, and he gets lit and runs for his life. Lather/rinse/repeat. 

Survival and success for the average player anymore requires higher levels of teamwork, and it just isn't happening. The game is dominated by radar cruisers, BBs without citadels, CVs (when present), and three ship unicum divisions. Have a look at my stats, if you're bored. My win rate has tanked while trying to figure out how to play the new meta, and alternates between "bad" and "unicum". I'm neither. But I have lost the ability to influence games. I'm just along for the ride. 

I'm an experienced, "good" DD driver. Imagine what this must be like for new players.

• Cool 2

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles
3 minutes ago, Thornir said:

I think you're onto something though about the very things they add to try and speed it up are actually slowing it down. As a DD main, I go TO caps, I am NEAR caps, but other than to try and sucker out a CAs radar, I don't go in until or unless I've gone through an entire checklist of things to verify and it's clear. Used to be, two DDs would go into a cap and knife fight, while cruisers tried to help while dodging BB fire. Now people hold well short, sniffing around, until one poor soul sneaks into the cap, it turns red, and he gets lit and runs for his life. Lather/rinse/repeat. 

This makes me sad most of all.  It is why I loved DD play, I could get a little more aggressive.  Now you have to play them way more passive, especially at high tier.  

Now for the record I play DD, CA, and BB fairly evenly with ~1800, 2500, and 2100 games in each respectively.

That being said.  BBs have had it far too easy, far too long.  Have been here since just after beta in '15 and I have seen nerf after nerf, either directly or indirectly to DDs year after year.  A BBs "counter".

BB survival is far too high and needs to be brought in line and on par with other classes.

Literally the only direct nerf to BBs I can think of in 3 years now was a widespread ruddershift time nerf across the class in late '15.  Reason?  It was determined that BBs were too maneuverable against DD torpedo's, their counter.  How about that..........logic.  

Of course DD nerfaggedon started not long thereafter and hasn't let up since.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,999 posts
4,369 battles

Pretty sure I addressed this over a year ago. Quit the game about the same time in disgust

Softest way to fix this would be to scale all guns properly.

We can either only give them ONE buff per tier. If there is an extra turret well that's the buff then. If caliber increases, ditto. No more hey this new tier has an extra turret, better pen, accuracy, AND range. Meanwhile defense remains stagnant at best, regressive would be more accurate.

Or instead of arbitrary line limits and radar, you scale all shell velocities so that the Cleveland's current shell flight times are the fastest. Aka nerf the bejesus out of everyone's shell flight time. ~12 seconds to fly 14km, fastest shell velocity. Only gets slower from there.

Cleveland (well tier 6 Cleveland, haven't played in a while) was where it was at. If you had all Clevelands the game was to be quite entertaining as many closed the gap just so they can hit each other. More skilled players shot from further away, but max range (16km with pre nerf AFT) was fairly difficult to land. You can play in the open in Cleveland only fight just because the shell flight time made accuracy more.....historical.

[H_]
Members
2,067 posts
2 hours ago, Thornir said:

Excellent points, gentlemen.

I think WG's intent with all the changes has been to try and speed the game up. The more games you play, the more resources you need, and the more likely you are to spend money on the game. No real surprise there.

Survival and success for the average player anymore requires higher levels of teamwork, and it just isn't happening. The game is dominated by radar cruisers, BBs without citadels, CVs (when present), and three ship unicum divisions. Have a look at my stats, if you're bored. My win rate has tanked while trying to figure out how to play the new meta, and alternates between "bad" and "unicum". I'm neither. But I have lost the ability to influence games. I'm just along for the ride. 

I'm an experienced, "good" DD driver. Imagine what this must be like for new players.

The TTK in a FPS is "decisive" to sales.  Too short and no one stays around and too long and the other half of the game leaves....  I appreciate your response and I'm in a similar predicament:  a learning DD driver that is trying to over come the absolute meta and finding neither great success or great loss........it's become an obtuse style of game play that harbors on mediocrity, roles devaluation and stinks of a sales gimmick that, as you correctly observed, has screwed up TTK to such a point no one wants to do anything anymore.....  Wow......what a mess WG has created.  Many have left FT play and we can't field a clan due to a lack of interest....  

This is yet another trip down memory lane that mostly has included "great games" that imploded.....and, died of the cancer created by attempting to serve two philosophies:  one, a arcade FPS that is fun and the other, a quasi team game that is serious enough to "sell" it's value proposition and the doctrinal theories of that proposition.....  WG now has "divided" the player base....  Introducing a "disruptive technology", the ability to have 100% accurate targeting data communicated real-time throughout the fleet no matter the terrain, the conditions or the weather, is screwing up TTK, Roles and the "value proposition itself."   A hugely bad idea and it's dividing the player base, screwing up the tiers and, absolutely ruining historical roles......  Talk about a lose-lose scenario.....

The solution isn't chaff.  The solution isn't another consumable.  The solution is to do the opposite of what everyone expects...............................a nerf, no !  The opposite is to 'de-couple' radar.  Radar is historically correct so give it to all nations !  Sever the 'real-time" links between ships and use the one-radar-one-ship standard.  Then, make smoke add +x to disruption to the radar ship to make the radar for that ship "not perfect" !!!  An then, we'll see normalizing behaviors and roles will revert to the "value proposition" the game holds as their sales point:  Iron and Steel ships of the early 20th century....      Will this happen:  no..........there's too much money being made with the meta (short term thinking.)  Once WG introduces the WoT's "golden bullet", there will be a mass exodus.   You reap what you sow in video games.....each and every time......and, no VG corp appears to study history and, .............they repeat the same mistakes others have made......

Good hunting guys !

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 3

[DRHS]
Members
324 posts
13,516 battles
17 hours ago, VGLance said:

I don't use islands and rarely ever bow tank. And suicidal DDs who are brain dead because they can't think of any other option but to charge the cap at the start of a match without first scouting for radar ships and die in less than 5 min because of it are causing the rest of the team to be passive / overly defensive.

Wish there was a stat that showed avg game duration survived in each class of ship for every player. I bet less than 30% of the player base is over 10 min when playing destroyers which is sick.

DDs are like rooks in chess, their real power comes later when less pieces (ships) are on the board. Players play them like pawns and derp them too soon and it's the number one reason why so many players suck at DD.

Well in defense of some of us DD captains, we are expected to at least spot.  Now with the current  Radar range being within .3km or less of detection range for the mounting cruiser if we try to spot were screwed. You can't turn or decelerate a DD fast enough to avoid slipping into radar range on a freshly spotted radar cruiser. Your only hope is that his radar is on cooldown. Early game that ain't happening. Which IMO is more the reason some DD's die quickly. DD's that get spotted get focused. Not true of the DM or Moskva. Most will take a shot at a BB with HE  trying to get a fire over shooting at one of these two. IF you all treated RADAR ships like you do DD's it would be far less of an issue.

Now if we play smart and hold back we get complained at for "Not Capping" or hiding. You all can't have it both ways, so quit complaining in game or pressure WG to fix what many view as a broken mechanic:RADAR.