You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DMan7701

Aiming at DDs

24 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
631 battles

Much like any aiming question I imagine the answer to this will be "practice"...

But I'd love some tips on aiming at DD's from 10M+... I just can't get the distance right, even when they're heading in a straight line. I feel like I almost need to aim so far in one direction that I can't even see the ship anymore. I primarily play US cruisers.

Just curious if anyone has any tips on how to gauge their speed, or rules of thumb when it comes to aiming at them. I've resorted to not shooting at them until I'm within 10m, which is clearly dangerous. 

Thanks for your time!

Members
4,467 posts
7,209 battles

At 10 km it is difficult.  What tier are you playing and having an issue.  At about tier 6-7 I had to go to the dynamic crosshair in order to be able to aim.  DDs are very fast - the farther away the more difficult it is to hit them.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,839 posts

Generally speaking... if they appear to be going full-tilt, all out, double your lead. If your scope says 8 seconds to the dd's distance, you'd set your lead to oh, 16. I know it sounds silly but it seems to work. The faster YOUR rounds go down range the less-than-double you'll need to do for the lead estimate. 

Best time to smack a dd with a bb, for example, is when they decide to reverse course. When ships turn hard they loose a lot of speed. If you see one doing this, adjust your timing to allow for them to be running less than full speed. I know you'll say you're crazy man, but I can usually smack them with an 8 to 10 second lead in such scenarios. 

You will almost always need to zoom out so your scope can provide the needed tick-marks for aiming. Keep in mind it's rare for a dd to straightline these days... so watch for turn events.

Try some of that see if it helps you. 

[DAKI]
Supertester
2,172 posts
9,262 battles

Certain ships have a harder time shooting DDs at certain ranges than others. A DM will have a harder time hitting a DD at 12km than something like a Zao or Moskva would, for example. The tier, type, and nation of what you're playing as well as the nationality of the destroyers you're aiming at would be helpful.

Even without that info, press ALT to bring up the alternative battle interface mode. Near your point of aim you'll see you're shells travel time in seconds as well as the range at which you're shooting. To aim at a DD (generally) just line up you shell travel time (7s shell travel time, aim at 7s, etc) and then add 2-4 ticks to account for the fast speed and small size of the target in question. Thats if they're sailing straight. Try to predict what movements the enemy DD may try to make to dodge and shift your aim accordingly. It can be difficult to learn, so if you'd like to practice load up a training room with 12 DDs on the enemy team that are moving but not armed with their AI levels set to high

Members
1,454 posts
8,371 battles

Best bet to hitting a DD at range is waiting until they commit to something like a turn.  Once they commit, it is as simple as shooting any other target.   If they are very wiggly, then put a spread of shots out where they may wiggle to. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-P]
Members
665 posts
6,338 battles

You're using ships with slow shell speeds at fairly long ranges (at least for the lower tiers). At 10km+, expect to have to zoom out. Other ships, like the russian or french cruisers don't need to give quite as much lead, as their shells are faster. Also, be aware that at these distances your shells take so long to reach the target that only a slight change of course by a fast moving ship will cause them all to miss. Ironically, this is made worse the more accurate your guns are. My advice: while playing USN cruisers it is generally more efficient to shoot at other stuff until you get within 7-8km of the DD (at least for the lower tiers). The rest is simply a matter of practice and luck.

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

I tend to lead DDs at tic 15. Knowing the speed limit of the lolibote you are shooting at and observing the smoke from the funnels can help a lot. But all I can say, at least for myself, is practice makes perfect. 

[TBW]
Members
7,528 posts
13,808 battles

When you are having trouble hitting a DD consider going for something bigger and slower if you can. If not, spread your salvos instead of firing all barrels at once. Regular and dynamic crosshair tics are set for different speeds. I think dynamic is 20 knots and regular is 30 knots. I use dynamic, so if I have to scroll out the tics remain the same. It seems to me that if you zoom out a notch with the regular crosshair, that it messes up the whole 30 knot setting.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,137 posts
8,404 battles
1 hour ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

Best bet to hitting a DD at range is waiting until they commit to something like a turn.  Once they commit, it is as simple as shooting any other target.   If they are very wiggly, then put a spread of shots out where they may wiggle to. 

This^

Also, play DD's. It'll teach you how to hit them, because you'll be able, eventually, to feel what they're going to do on instinct, from having done it yourself.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,473 battles

you can,t hit dds so don,t shoot at them but if you must shoot at me don,t shoot zoomed in 

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts

i think the aimming reticule was made at a long time ago

when dd were all the relative same speed

now you have dd that are just stupid fast but they never calibrated the aiming reticules so yes now your offscreening some dd its true

and its kinda of anoying and not really astethicly pleasing to watch but what can you do

soon some dd will be so fast you wont be able to aim at them at all most likely lol true story )

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
9,061 battles

Get a Russian rail gun cruiser. 10k? No problem. Shells guided by the hand of Stalin.

I like the DD drivers who zig zag back and forth regularly so you just aim in the middle of their curse like normal and watch them hit your shells.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,589 battles
1 hour ago, Scotty_SE said:

Get a Russian rail gun cruiser. 10k? No problem. Shells guided by the hand of Stalin.

I like the DD drivers who zig zag back and forth regularly so you just aim in the middle of their curse like normal and watch them hit your shells.

This man speaks the truth.  The Russian cruiser line is the one to use if you would like to hit fast moving DDs at 10+ km range easily.  I use them in operations for nailing DDs quickly and at range.

Edited by bigbearbeear

[R-R-R]
Members
1,024 posts
7,936 battles

You  can zoom out a bit when aiming at DDs. I know it helps many people.

However, it is definitely quite hard for USN cruisers to hit DDs outside 10km. Don't feel too bad about it. Just try to gradually improve.

Members
90 posts
1,491 battles

All you have to do is aim past the 15 mark or so based on how far away you(pretend there is a 20 or 25 mark.). it's actually pretty easy when you figure out the spots to aim for. Aim based on how far their nose is on your screen and you can hit them easy. If you are closer aim for 15 mark or shorter(10-15mark) if they are very close. 5km or less.

If they are turning aggressively think how much it slow their speed and treat it like they are simply moving forward. Use other tricks to compensate for angling. Average out their movements to predict the spot to hit. I shoot them regularly with American bbs. Even on my NC with what used to be 330m dispersion from my APRM1 mod.

And after a certain distance, if you are shooting at 20+km. The range does not change because the size of the ship shrinks with the zoom fairly evenly. So long range DD isn't hard either if the shots actually land.

There is also something I call strafe shotting. If you know the potential or are uncertain of the speed. Line up with one angle you know and slowly(or quickly) fire from one to the next. Say 15-20 mark. Or 10 to 15. Or 15-13. This gives a better shot at getting a few shots and lets you range it a bit. Sometimes it does nice things to the shot landing spots also. It can be useful if they slow down or similar things also. Sometimes it even feels like it increases the chance at citadels. But it's more likely to get 1 cit instead of 2-3x or more. Remember turning within your shot range is also just lke going forward. But slower. If the turn and you aim correct based on forward movement, because of the circle that determines where you shoot they will still easily run into your shots. It can make it very easy to hit people while turning with fast guns. Also if the go into or out of a turn there are good spots with predictable speeds from their ship accelerating to max to hit them with a solid volley. Basically put together every trick you can think of and you can follow and fire in any situation. Especially in a fast firing Cruiser like the Cleveland.

Edited by Avrien

Members
2 posts
631 battles

Thank you all for the replies and tips! These 

These really help a lot... I've generally been playing the American cruisers from Tier 6-8 or so, and so I think that firing arch on those is killing me... But I'm also seeing here that I wasn't giving nearly enough lead time... And also I think I assumed that people were getting consistent great results firing at DDs at 15km+ plus, but it sounds like this is no easy task even for the experts out there. That makes me feel a little better!

Hitting them on a turn as some of you have mentioned seems to be a solid tactic. I'm still missing on those but I'm getting better... I tend to aim too far to one side... Even when they turn I find you need to aim out 7-10k anyway because they're just that fast, but that's certainly a better window than trying to aim 15-20km+

Another thing a couple of you mentioned was not zooming in... Man is that weird for me! I've zoomed in pretty much from day 1, so I'm trying to get the hang of aiming without it.

Anyway, again, thank you all! I'm going to try and continue to take these tips and apply them in game. I've also been working on closing the distance more, which has helped... When I don't get torpedoed :)

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,065 battles

shooting at a DD at a distance is no more different than shooting at any other type of ship. only a few things you have to keep in mind...

1. the speed of the target
  2. size of the target, 
  3. and your shells dispersion rate. 

And thats it! really...

if you shells dispersion rate is far than basically by sure chance your shells will land on a small target.  if you miss it doesn't mean your aim is off.  if you she your shell splashing all around it...that means you, basically, did zero on the target ...just the dispersion rate just messed you up.  so, remember that line on the cross-heirs...and keep firing at it.  then just keep in mind that the speed of target will vary on the cap.  so notice the smoke...lots of smoke means shes nearly running at full speed, the shorter the smoke line...slower speed. the smoke line going forward of the ship...shes reversing. 

but practicing to notice all at the same time and remembering the site line for each ship you encounter are more ...like your instincts.  

:Smile_honoring: 

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles

ripple fire over an area in the path the dd is heading instead of salvo firing in one spot you think he's going to be.  you give up the chance of slamming him with alot of shells in exchange for increasing your chance of hitting him at all.  effectiveness increases as your rate of fire increases.

its the same principle as you would use when shooting something that's wiggly and fast at long range with anything that has a slow shell velocity and high rate of fire (e.g. atlanta, worcester, minotaur)

Edited by Shadeylark

Members
2,529 posts
5,363 battles

never, EVER under ANY circumstances, shoot at a DD. Ever.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,716 posts
12 minutes ago, Thornir said:

I  Dunno  I had a  Fletcher come in and take s Close up PotShot at my  Missouri  so I let him have a full broadside and sank him..........................:cat_paw:

Members
2,529 posts
5,363 battles
12 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

I  Dunno  I had a  Fletcher come in and take s Close up PotShot at my  Missouri  so I let him have a full broadside and sank him..........................:cat_paw:

[AOD_B]
Members
29 posts
3,885 battles

i know for me it just comes playing. the more you shoot at them the better you will get at it. its also good to spread your shots around to try and predict there movements.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,716 posts
5 hours ago, Thornir said:

:Smile_great:

5 hours ago, Thornir said:

:Smile_great:I get it,     It's Cause YOUR a    DD   Main:Smile_teethhappy:  KK  If I see you in game I'll make you a  Priority Target:cat_paw:

Edited by shadowsrmine