You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Noob DD has no Camo!

81 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,209 posts

I don't know how many times I've heard that. However, does it really matter? The difference in detection is .2 km. With converging ships, when a Shimi spots me, I spot it immediately afterwards, camo or no.  This is why the "legendary" module for the Gearing is sort of worthless. The only way that .3 km less detection range would be useful is with stationary ships.

Camo is expensive and I've used up all the nice camo from the last event. Therefore, I've been running around naked. Has it affected me any? Not that I can tell, especially when the de facto detection of a ship under the new radar meta is 10 km.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,224 battles

Camo does two very important things as a DD. 

even being out detected by 200 meters by another DD while capping a zone can be a huge disadvantage. To counter it you must sail further into an enemy cap which by now has all enemy guns locked onto you with the hopes of finding the enemy DD. Or to retreat and give them the point.

You also got to remember that the camo gives a Penalty on enemies accuracy when shooting against you. That could mean the difference between a battleship landing a Pen hit and taking away 1/3 of your health and a wiff. 

• Cool 9

[PVE]
Members
14,984 posts
9,575 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't know how many times I've heard that. However, does it really matter? The difference in detection is .2 km. With converging ships, when a Shimi spots me, I spot it immediately afterwards, camo or no.  This is why the "legendary" module for the Gearing is sort of worthless. The only way that .3 km less detection range would be useful is with stationary ships.

Camo is expensive and I've used up all the nice camo from the last event. Therefore, I've been running around naked. Has it affected me any? Not that I can tell, especially when the de facto detection of a ship under the new radar meta is 10 km.

So .2km to .3km is not enough of a difference for spottting. What about .6km? With the Gearing Unique Upgrade, you put the Gearing within .3km of the most stealthy DDs in the T8-T10 MM spread. 

Here is the best stealth for all the T8-T10 DDs. The UK DDs are subject to change of course. Edit: Gearing+ is the Gearing with the Unique Upgrade.

Spotting ranges across the MM (stock > CE module > CE skill)

Asashio 6.84km > 6.17km > 5.54km

Kagero 6.84km > 6.17km > 5.54km

HSF Harekaze 6.84km > 6.17km > 5.54km

Daring WIP 7.0km > 6.3km > 5.67km

Jutland WIP 7.0km > 6.3km > 5.67km

Lightning WIP 7.0km > 6.3km > 5.67km

Yugumo 7.02km > 6.32km > 5.69km

Shimakaze  7.11km > 6.4km > 5.76km

Gearing+ 7.56km > 6.43km > 5.78km

Chung Mu 7.2km > 6.48km > 5.83km

Loyang 7.38km > 6.64km > 5.98km

Hsienyang 7.38km > 6.64km > 5.98km

Black 7.38km > 6.64km > 5.98km

Fletcher 7.38km > 6.64km > 5.98km

Kidd 7.38km > 6.64km > 5.98km

Benson 7.38km > 6.64km > 5.98km

Yueyang 7.42km >  6.68km > 6.01km

Akizuki 7.56km > 6.8km > 6.12km

Kitakaze WIP 7.56km > 6.8km > 6.12km

Z-46  7.56km > 6.8km > 6.12km

Gearing 7.56km > 6.8km > 6.12km

Grozovoi 7.62km > 6.86km > 6.17km

Z-52  7.74km > 6.97km > 6.27km'

Ognevoi 7.74km > 6.97km > 6.27km

Harugumo WIP 7.92km > 7.13km > 6.42km

Z-23  7.92km > 7.13km > 6.42km

Udaloi A 8.6km > 7.74km > 6.97km

Kiev 9km > 8.1km > 7.29km

Udaloi B 9.2km > 8.28km > 7.45km

Tashkent 9.4km > 8.46km > 7.61km

Khabarovsk 10km > 9km > 8.1km

These are all without camo as I forgot to add them.

Edited by Kizarvexis

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

I'll agree with you its not much. But I have seen the range tick to within normal range and I went undetected because of camo I was using. Of course I'll admit it's not very often. But I'm only playing tier 5 DDs and the camo I'm using are the shark camos I'm winning during the event for extra xp. 

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

I like having camo’s on my ships but don’t think it makes me play any better. While there is some creedance to the camo giving you even a negligible advantage I’ll take for the advantage it gives me.

At the end of the day, some can afford the perma camo and others can’t or don’t see the need. Totally your choice mate!

If someone says something to you, just tell them you do have camo in your ship and they must have it turned off in port :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[PSP]
Members
8,209 posts
4 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

If someone says something to you, just tell them you do have camo in your ship and they must have it turned off in port :cap_haloween:

I tell them it's an ARP Gearing that has no camo and make them wonder about their sanity.

• Funny 6

Members
4,726 posts
8,149 battles

Could camo be overrated?  I see a guy walking down the street or in Walmart, if I just HAVE to go there, (in full military camo) and I see them just fine.  OK...I know camo is like for the outdoors and all that but how great is it in the game?  Hell I dunno.  I do know that one of the first attempts at REAL camo was in the American Civil War...Berdans outfit. Union.  Green uniforms. Sharpshooters with the double set Sharps rifle trigger. Ya see there was a lotta green stuff around back then like trees and grass and stuff like that.:Smile_teethhappy:  IF you find one of those uniforms you are a millionaire. Only 2 know to still exist insofar as I know. Maybe 3. 

Beta Testers
1,714 posts
3,833 battles

I just use the aresenal for stocking up on team water camos. I continue to run without spending anything by doing that. Surely you have coal laying around to do that. Been seeing a lot of people running no camo lately we need a camo sale already. It has been a very long time since we have had one.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,633 posts

You're naked, people don't like you walking around naked, they believe it hurts them personally....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[SPCU]
Members
840 posts
5,069 battles

You're also ignoring alpha... 0.2 doesn't seem noteworthy until the enemy gets the first salvo off and knocks your turrets, rudder, engines, and/or torp tubes out... let alone detonates you... it's a scary sea out there... bring your basic detection and dispersion pants at least! Just say no to nekkid dds! :fish_panic:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
4,726 posts
8,149 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

You're naked, people don't like you walking around naked, they believe it hurts them personally....:Smile_teethhappy:

Naked in IN!  Naked protests.  Naked rallies for this cause or another. Naked people running around all over the place to draw attention to whatever "victimization"  cause they have embraced. Disgusting!  90%, or more, of the people in this world I have NO desire to see naked.  Zero. None. Nope.:Smile_glasses:

[PSP]
Members
8,209 posts
19 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Could camo be overrated?  I see a guy walking down the street or in Walmart, if I just HAVE to go there, (in full military camo) and I see them just fine.  

I used to do a lot of deer hunting in blue jeans and a jean jacket. I seemed to do just fine. Deer key in more on movement and smell than they do color. Most camo is produced because it sells well, versus works better.

In my day we wore OD green fatigues. At a distance, whether in the desert or forest, you had a hard time being seen. OD green blends right into a forest and after a few days in the desert you were pretty much dust colored anyway.

[ADR]
Members
4,395 posts
14,822 battles

if you can't afford to run cammo on your ships..  the problem is you,  no matter what excuse you use to justify not using it.

• Cool 4

Members
4,726 posts
8,149 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I used to do a lot of deer hunting in blue jeans and a jean jacket. I seemed to do just fine. Deer key in more on movement and smell than they do color. Most camo is produced because it sells well, versus works better.

In my day we wore OD green fatigues. At a distance, whether in the desert or forest, you had a hard time being seen. OD green blends right into a forest and after a few days in the desert you were pretty much dust colored anyway.

I hunted deer as a kid.  I don't anymore but, same as you, I just wore jeans and a dark shirt.Seemed to work fine for me. Hell around here when deer season starts I stop at a Speedway gas station in the morning for coffee and I see these nuts outfitted in full camo with green camo on their faces and they are packing rifles with 10x scopes. I mean REAL warriors. $$$$$$$$ Hell back in the day all I ever used was a lever action Winchester with iron sights. Did fine. 

Smell!  Movement!  You are right on buddy.  They don't give a crap bout camo. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

Members
4,726 posts
8,149 battles
7 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

if you can't afford to run cammo on your ships..  the problem is you,  no matter what excuse you use to justify not using it.

Gasp! Made me cry. I am a problem. Har

[CHMC]
Members
367 posts
8,796 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

REEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Shuuuuunnnn shuuuuuunnnnnnnn!!!!

Are you seriously too cheap to buy type 1 camo? Yes it makes a difference, type 5 camo also reduces incoming dispersion so when a bb shoots at you it doesn't delete you and the detection boost keep you from being out spotted by same class ships. Not to mention you won't trigger all of your teammates and get reported.

Cover up your loliboat that's nasty.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
4,487 posts
11,046 battles

Good DD players don't converge. They will exploit that .2 km and make you pay

• Cool 4

[CHMC]
Members
367 posts
8,796 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

Yup, wrecked a whole flank in my shimakaze because the other shima wasn't running camo. Killed two bbs, a cruiser, injured another, and after i was done I took out the other shima.

That DD effectively lost them the flank, 4 ships, a cap, and the game over camo.

Members
4,726 posts
8,149 battles

Fun thread.  Bedtime for me.  I sleep in full camo so if an intruder breaks in and catches me in bed he will, with 4% dispersion due to my camo, only hit me with 11 rounds instead of 12. Very comforting.:Smile_Default:

• Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
14,984 posts
9,575 battles
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

In post #3 in this thread, I listed all the T8-T10 DDs and their spotting ranges. The Gearing upgrade gets you within .25km of the stealthiest DDs. Here are the detriments to reloads.

So Gearing starts with 7.56km and the normal CE module takes that to 6.8km. Then CE skill makes it 6.12km.  You have a 3 sec reload on the main guns and at 106 sec (10.5km) or 136 sec (16.5km) torp reload.

Starting with 7.56km concealment, the Unique Upgrade makes that 6.43km and the CE skill makes that 5.78km. You end up with a 3.45 sec reload on the main guns and at 111.3 sec (10.5km) or 142.8 sec (16.5km) torp reload.

So it comes down to, is -0.34km detectability (within .25km of stealiest DD) worth, +0.45 sec main gun reload and +5.3 sec (10.5km) and +6.8 sec (16.5km) torp reloads times?

Do you think that jump in concealment is worth it? Would it take a unicum to take advantage of the range bonus vs the DDs a Gearing+ jumped? How skilled would you need to be? Inquiring minds are curious.

[PSP]
Members
8,209 posts

You can tell me that .3 km stock detectability makes a huge amount of difference when I'm not radared a half-dozen times per game. The second a cap starts to change -- pop, radar. The instant a ship on the enemy team tells his teammates "I'm detected" -- pop, radar. The second a ship sees torps -- pop, radar. I'll let you know if my not detecting another DD a second sooner costs me a game. In fact, I'll post a replay.