Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
von_25

A question about winning

15 comments in this topic

[IJAG]
Members
13 posts
5,617 battles

I have a questions about winning %. I am playing the Akatsuki in randoms and after 19 battles have a 26% win rate with the ship. I am not new to the game and not really playing the ship that bad. I would say that I am over all in the top half in all these battles. I seems to me that you could do nothing or afk 19 times and have a better %. I'm sure I could play better but I don't know if that would help. Give me your thoughts on the math of this being possible. This is amazing to me.

[AP]
Members
1,231 posts
13,236 battles
7 minutes ago, von_25 said:

I have a questions about winning %. I am playing the Akatsuki in randoms and after 19 battles have a 26% win rate with the ship. I am not new to the game and not really playing the ship that bad. I would say that I am over all in the top half in all these battles. I seems to me that you could do nothing or afk 19 times and have a better %. I'm sure I could play better but I don't know if that would help. Give me your thoughts on the math of this being possible. This is amazing to me.

19 battles

[IJAG]
Members
13 posts
5,617 battles

Don't get me wrong I am not complaining. I would not think the math would work out even if I were trying to lose the drive the win rate that low. Its just weird.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,814 posts
2,726 battles

You can lose 10+ games in a row. 

You would need more than 19 games to get a good idea.

[IJAG]
Members
13 posts
5,617 battles

I guess if wanted a serious discussion I should not have come to this forum. I wasn't looking for insult about intelligence but I'm sure you feel better.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,437 posts
6,060 battles
2 minutes ago, von_25 said:

I guess if wanted a serious discussion I should not have come to this forum. I wasn't looking for insult about intelligence but I'm sure you feel better.

No one has insulted you in the slightest. 

[WOLFG]
Members
4,814 posts
2,726 battles
2 minutes ago, von_25 said:

What we are saying is 19 games is too small a sample to get a really good idea if 26% is something you are doing, or the MM is putting you with bad players.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,733 posts
14,175 battles

Nobody here has insulted you, but the fact that you believe we have is quite telling. They pointed out that 19 is nowhere near large enough a sample size to draw any conclusions from.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,556 battles
19 minutes ago, von_25 said:

Being in the top half of the team doesn't mean you did well. If that's the bar you're setting yourself, you're likely a low performance player, and I haven't even looked at your stats yet. Furthermore, nobody has insulted your intelligence, they've just pointed out the obvious: 19 battles is a small enough sample that it could be a fluke.

Edit: Sigh. As I predicted, you're a very new player with a very poor performance history. I don't fault you for this, but you're still learning basic game mechanics, let alone learning how to improve.

[INTEL]
Members
10,055 posts
28,229 battles
16 hours ago, von_25 said:

1. Read the LWM post in the second post to this thread.

2. You need 50-80 games before you can really know how to play a ship. Right now you are still learning how to play Akat. You will be for some time to come. 

3. That said, Akat has been significantly power creeped. I sold mine, tired of being constantly radared and of gunboat DDs with lower detect than Akat's currently ridiculous 6.4 detect. You will likely struggle for a long time to make Akat get damage. So part of the problem is that the meta you face isn't good for Akat.  

Members
2,156 posts
5,877 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

No one has insulted you in the slightest. 

^This

Ok, statistics.  It's called the "Law of Large Number" which simply put means that you need to have a certain amount of information or what they call "sample size" before you can draw any meaningful insights from the data you are reviewing.  Generally the minimum sample size is considered to be 30 samples, or in your case, 30 battles before you can draw any meaningful conclusions about your win loss rate in that vessel. 

This is not insulting, it's simply mathematical fact.  

The advice I'm seeing from those here is play her a bit more before you decide there is something wrong that needs fixing. 

Members
22,816 posts
5,794 battles
17 hours ago, von_25 said:

Don't get me wrong I am not complaining. I would not think the math would work out even if I were trying to lose the drive the win rate that low. Its just weird.

With only 19 battles, anything can randomly affect things.

Once you have more battles, (say 100) the random elements will balance each other out more, and give you a truer picture of where you stand.

Members
4,473 posts
7,234 battles

And with 30 more games you can easily be at 50%.  Very difficult for folks to have 50% WR in a new ship unless they are truely  game gifted.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,633 posts
14,889 battles
22 hours ago, von_25 said:

Give me your thoughts on the math of this being possible. This is amazing to me.

I'll give you more than my thoughts.  You can actually run the numbers.  Take a 50% chance event.  Over 19 events you have a 3% chance of winning five or fewer.  

Not only is it possible, but given the number of WOWS players it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY (as in astronomically impossible) for it NOT to happen. 

In aggregate, you are communicating an experience that, among those of us participating in this forum, is highly likely to occur among us.

Sign in to follow this