You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
The_Massacrerer

Question about Elite Commander XP and future 19pt Captains

21 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
5,613 battles

I'm hoping this will be an easy enough (few) questions to answer. Sorry if it's a repost, but I couldn't find specifically what I was looking for.

So, I'm nearly at a 19pt. Captain. He's specialized for the Massachusetts. I know when he hits the 19pt level, he will start generating Elite Commander XP which I can use on any ship.

My questions are:

• Is it better to just farm Elite Commander XP, and dole it out to Commanders that need it to hit the next Commander Skills point?
  • Is is better to play a spec'd out Captain (like on my Mass.) on a lower tier ship (like my Colorado) to help with the vessel XP?
  • Should I build up Captains evenly (like all of them up to 6pts., then 10pts., then 14pts., etc.), or funnel everything into a making second 19pt. Commander, for even more Elite Commander XP?

Your input on helping me maximize my time and Commander XP are greatly appreciated!

Also, I am using all of the flags possible to increase vessel and Commander XP (i.e. - Equal Speed Charlie London, Zulu Hotel, Red Dragon, Dragon, Hydra)

Thank you!

Edited by The_Massacrerer

[SHEEP]
Members
200 posts
3,976 battles

1. Depends, if you have a 19 point captain for a ship you do very well in, go ahead, you’ll want to get the most value out of your flags, so pick whatever you get the highest bad exp with.

2. Generally not, because you’ll probably have to respec and that costs a ton of elite cap exp for the higher point ones.

3. Generally I’d say save the elite exp and use it for when you move up a tier in the line you’re grinding, and get the captain to 100% immediately. Don’t bother getting every captain to a certain amount of points, instead only add as much as you need to get a skill you really want or need, namely ifhe or ce

[STURM]
Members
463 posts
3,916 battles
9 minutes ago, The_Massacrerer said:

• Is it better to just farm Elite Commander XP, and dole it out to Commanders that need it to hit the next Commander Skills point?
  • Is is better to play a spec'd out Captain (like on my Mass.) on a lower tier ship (like my Colorado) to help with the vessel XP?
  • Should I build up Captains evenly (like all of them up to 6pts., then 10pts., then 14pts., etc.), or funnel everything into a making second 19pt. Commander, for even more Elite Commander XP?

1. I basically just farm the EXP to build up a stockpile. Keep in mind, you can't use that EXP to get a captain partway to a new point. If it requires 5,000 to get to the next point and you only have 4,000 in combined elite captain EXP and free EXP, you can't boost him at all. So build up a stockpile for the higher and stupidly expensive skill points or for retraining.

2. I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. The amount of points on a captain makes no direct difference on how much EXP is earned. Sure, a ship with 19 points is going to outdo a ship with zero and earn more EXP that way, but higher tier ships earn more raw EXP and so are better for farming. Plus with how different the Mass's ideal skills are compared to other USN BBs, you might need to respec the captain to make it work in the Colorado.

3. Having multiple different 19 pointers can drastically increase the rate you earn elite EXP, so it is worth it. Typically though, I use the EXP to get them over the hump to a new point, or if a ship really needs a specific skill, I use it to get that skill ASAP. Generally speaking, you should spend it on boosting ships you enjoy and play a bunch.

Finally, you do know that premium ships like the Mass don't require retraining for captians, right? You could stick that captain on any other premium without a loss in skills. And if you are retraining the capital for a new tech tree ship, the skills still work at full strength while in a premium. (Though as I said, the Mass's secondary focus makes her a bit of a bad choice as a USN BB trainer.)

Hope this helps!

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
44 minutes ago, The_Massacrerer said:

This depends on your captains and their tiers and if you view getting them to a higher skill level is worth the skill points. Most people make more 19pt captains and retrain captains, but you can certainly bump up some lower captains as well. I have.

I would pick one tech tree ship for that 19pt captain to reside in (one you really like playing) and then move the 19pt captain around your premium ships. I have my only 19pt captain in Des Moines right now and I move him around my US CLs/CAs/BBs to farm ECXP. Like @Q___________Q said, moving a high point captain from tech tree ship to tech tree ship is expensive in doubloons or ECXP.

Thank you!

I would not level up all captains evenly, unless you have very few ships. IMO, 3 point captains are fine to T4 or so. I think 6 point captains are good to T5 or T6 at most. You will really want a 10 point captain at T7 and really at T6 is helpful as well. Then around T8 getting to a 14 point captain is really good for most builds. These are not hard and fast numbers and if you really like playing a lower tier ship and have a 19 point captain on it, you can. The biggest jump is getting CE, IFHE, AFT, FP,  or AS at 10 skill points. I hope to get all of my ships to at least 10 points eventually, but since I have 190 of them, it will be a long slog. I have enough trouble getting my T6+ captains to 10 skill points as it is.  

You are welcome.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,058 posts

Highest point captains go into either the Clan or Ranked battle ships.

After all, this is the purpose for having these.

Otherwise it goes on the highest tier ship for those skills.  I have a 19 point on my Benson, but extensively use it for the Atlanta.

I have 3) US 19 pointers and 1.2M elite XP.  I plan on boosting the Yamato and Bismarck captains to 19.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,718 battles

Here's something else you can do with free commander xp that I don't see anyone else mentioning.  You can use it to train your commander for a new ship.  Assuming you have enough coin and enough free commander xp, what I typically do is spend the 200k in coins to cut the xp training cost in half, then use my free commander xp to finish it up.  This way you don't have to spend 500 doubloons or hours of your time grinding that captain so you can use his skills on that new ship.

Also, I tend to use it to get any starting captains up to level 10.  Those first 10 points usually have the biggest impact on your gameplay and tend to help out the most.  Plus after that it tends to get a bit cost-prohibitive.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,307 posts
14,457 battles

The more 19 point captains you have, the faster they generate elite free exp.

So I would look at your highest non 19 pointer and use the exp to raise him.

Then work on next captain.

Note:

This will only work if you play the ships.

Alternatively:

Say you have an 8 point tier 6 destroyer captain and you want to put him in newly unlocked tier 7 destroyer.

I would spend enough free captain exp to get to 10 points, as concealment really matters.

Beta Testers
1,266 posts
15,395 battles
1 hour ago, The_Massacrerer said:

So, I'm nearly at a 19pt. Captain. He's specialized for the Massachusetts. I know when he hits the 19pt level, he will start generating Elite Commander XP which I can use on any ship.

The only dedicated captains I have for premium ships are the Perth, Blys and the Belfast. If you have other USN BBs I would train the Mass captain for one of those boats and continue to use the Mass as a trainer for example: my Monty captain is a 19pt specialized for secondary build so he plays in the Monty, Alabama, Massachusetts, Arizona,Texas, Missouri and the ArkBeta racking up the elite cap XP for use on whatever captain I see fit. I realize that not all have access to so many premium ships but the premise is sound. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,924 posts
2,810 battles

Having your single 19 point captain specialized for a ship that requires different skills than the other ships in the line makes it a bit harder, but still the best way to go about it is have him assigned to your highest non-tech tree ship and then get the first win of the day in that tech tree ship, move him to your premium ships and get the first win with each of them, prioritizing the higher tier ships.

For example, my 19 point captain is British and BB survival spec, so I do KGV (where I am in the RN BB line), Hood and Warspite.  My next highest is a 17 point Japanese captain, so to speed him to 19 I do Amagi (the ship he is trained for) and then Musashi and, maybe, Ishizuchi, Yubari and Mikasa.

[AAA]
Members
642 posts
7,407 battles

I have 3 19 pt capt and 5 more that are 17 or higher. I ground them all out. 

I use the elite points to level a capt up to the next skill that is critical for the ship to perform well. For example me when the Cleveland moved to t8 IFHE and ce were critical. I added 4 points to a 10 point and boom. What I needed. I keeps a stock pile for when I need to boost a capt but with 8 soon 19 pt capt I’ll be spending the elite pretty quickly 

[A-I-M]
Members
1,691 posts
9,093 battles
22 hours ago, The_Massacrerer said:

I'm going to focus on your third question above:

Ok, there are three perspectives to consider in Elite XP management:

1. Mathematical

2. Programmatic

3. Psychological (I mean you, as your fleet/ship captain). Don't laugh. In the long run, this is important.

Mathematical:

Elite Commander XP is Elite commander XP no matter where you place it, so, to a superficial extent, it doesn't matter mathematically where you put it. If you acquire it at the same fixed rate, you build your commander "bench strength" at that rate, regardless of where it goes. But you can affect the rate at which your bench grows stronger, which gets us to:

Programmatic:

At various points, it becomes beneficial to focus on building one captain up over others. Is a captain nearing the XP necessary to add an imortant skill for his ship, that will allow that ship's perforamnce to step up? Direct your Elite Commander XP toward him. Don't play a certain ship/captain much? Leave him alone. My current cases are: I have a Giulio Cesare captain I want to bring to 19 points, and I have an Enterprise captain I want to bring to 14 points. They are my Elite Commander XP priorities.

Get your chosen captains above critical skill threshholds through focused XP assignment.

Sometimes, a retraining or respecializing of a captain due to movement to other another ship takes priority in the program.

Psychological:

If you disburse your Elite commander XP uniformly, your captain development will BOGGGGG DOWWWWWWWN, as will your enthusiasm for managing it. It's more satisfying/motivating to ratchet one or two ships/captains up quickly and make gains you can see, use, and benefit from in battle.

If you distribute Elite XP evenly to everybody, yeah, you might get everybody built up to one, two, or even three points quickly, but it will eventually slow to a crawl, with a long period between the times that captains acquire the next skill point. And as your fleet grows, a uniform approah to captain development will slow down even more.

So play favorites with your captains. They're emotionally tough. They're hardened. They're Academy Men...ok, they're silicon...either way, they don't get jealous or butthurt over being passed for promotion.

Your program serves you and your enjoyment of the game, not the other way around. Steer your command stucture so that it pumps up your performance where you want it, and with good frequency.

If you plan to start up a new ship or line, you can pretty quickly acquire enough Elite XP to fit out a new commander at Tier 1 with six skill points.

Some players keep approximately 190,000 Elite Commander XP on hand, to be able to get a new captain immediately to 10 skill points. 10 points is generally considered the minimum amount needed for a proficient captain. I would qualify that only a little:

1. Tier 3 and below, a great many are good to go a six points

2. Carrier captains in almost any tier don't have all of the basics that they need until at least 11 points.

3. Some ships, like your Massachusetts, need more commander skill points to utilize the ship's unique capabilities.

4. The 10-point rule of thumb is only a generalization...some high-tier ships feel naked with only a 10-point commander.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Punctuation, tighter grammar
  • Cool 2

Members
2,443 posts
9,116 battles

The best spot for 19 point captain is on Musashi with HSF camo that has commander XP bonus on top of 200% to all XP.  Short of using some very specific consumable camouflage you will be hard pressed to find a ship that can make better elite commander XP.

Members
30 posts
5,613 battles

Wow! What a bunch of great posts! Thanks to everyone who posted here. I'm going to digest what I've read here and blaze forward :Smile_izmena: Thanks so much for the superb ideas...I know this will help a lot!!

[N-W-T]
Members
1,427 posts
6,050 battles

Save your premium flags (dragon etc) for clan battles. Every win in a CB gets you 2500 base xp. Stacking premium flags and camo will get you upwards of 40,000 commander XP per game. I leveled my 16.5pt commander (which is just over halfway to 19) to 19 points in 2 weeks of clan battles. All you need to do to play clan battles is have one T8 ship. 

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,216 battles

Just regarding to elite XP usage.

I find it always useful to play a few games on a level 10 captain before committing to a specialized build that only one ship would be using. 

Big chance that if you don't like the ship play style with a level 10 captain, there's no reason to spend an absorbent number of elite xp to get him any higher.

Quick Notes: 1-10, you need 183,000 XP, 1-14 you need 573,000 XP, 1-19 you need 1,708,000 XP It's pretty easy to bang out a level 10 captain that is comparable with your core perks.

Edited by Merlox
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,714 posts
3,833 battles

Honestly I am curious about this All unique captains now have a "price" parameter, and the currency can be experience, credit, doubloon, or elite captain experience

It’s from here https://sea-group.org/?p=4439&lang=en

Just keep the 19pt on the Mass as it generates more xp than a regular ship would.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
13 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Honestly I am curious about this All unique captains now have a "price" parameter, and the currency can be experience, credit, doubloon, or elite captain experience

It’s from here https://sea-group.org/?p=4439&lang=en

Just keep the 19pt on the Mass as it generates more xp than a regular ship would.

You can keep playing the captain on the Massachusetts, but if you also put the captain on a tech tree ship that you like, you can play the captain on that one as well. So you get another ship for first win bonues. And if you have more US premium ships, you can run the captain around to all of them for first win bonuses.

• Cool 1

Members
30 posts
5,613 battles
16 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

You can keep playing the captain on the Massachusetts, but if you also put the captain on a tech tree ship that you like, you can play the captain on that one as well. So you get another ship for first win bonues. And if you have more US premium ships, you can run the captain around to all of them for first win bonuses.

I'll quote this post, as I have seen others similar to this.

This is another area of confusion for me. Since I want to maximize my Commander Skills for my individual ships (especially niche ships like the Massachusetts), wouldn't putting him on other ships be a detriment to their play? For instance, I recently acquired the Kidd and the Monaghan (in crates); I can't imagine that the secondary heavy skill setup for the Massachusetts would be of much benefit to the Kidd, or even the non-premium Colorado (which is what I am currently on in the USN tree), if I were to put my 19pt Massachusetts captain on them, even just to help with the ship XP. Perhaps I am not fully understanding something? My apologies for my ignorance here...

Edited by The_Massacrerer
Fixed grammar structure

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
30 minutes ago, The_Massacrerer said:

This is another area of confusion for me. Since I want to maximize my Commander Skills for my individual ships (especially niche ships like the Massachusetts), wouldn't putting him on other ships be a detriment to their play? For instance, I recently acquired the Kidd and the Monaghan (in crates); I can't imagine that the secondary heavy skill setup for the Massachusetts would be of much benefit to the Kidd, or even the non-premium Colorado (which is what I am currently on in the USN tree), if I were to put my 19pt Massachusetts captain on them, even just to help with the ship XP. Perhaps I am not fully understanding something? My apologies for my ignorance here...

Yeah, premium US cruisers and US BBs can swap captain without losing too much. Not so much for DDs. Premium DDs can use those US CLs that you have the Last Stand skill on, so they can train those.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,691 posts
9,093 battles
2 hours ago, The_Massacrerer said:

This is another area of confusion for me. Since I want to maximize my Commander Skills for my individual ships (especially niche ships like the Massachusetts), wouldn't putting him on other ships be a detriment to their play?

No, not really. It's all in the difference between premium and non-premium ships.

If a captain gets his initial assignment to a premium ship, the will be in "retraining mode" for ANY non-premium ship to which you assign him. However, if you initially assign him to a non-premium ship, no initial retraining is needed. Some captains you acquire from campaigns, missions, etc., come "pre-assigned" to a ship. What the others are suggesting to you is: if you assign your Massachusetts captain to another ship, say ,the North Carolina, for example, yes, he'll initially be in "retraining" for the NC, but the beauty of a premium ship is that you can always pop him back into a premium (the Massachusetts), and he will be "full strength" for all of the time he is in that premium ship.

So, you could:

1. Assign your Mass captain to the NC (he is now "assigned" to the NC, and the retraining begins) 

2. Put him immediately back into the Mass. In the Massachusetts, it being a premium ship, he will perform like he never left left it.

3. View the captain and you'll see he keeps his "specialization" in the North Carolina.

4. He can stay in the Massachusetts and "work off" the complete NC retraining without even having to go back to the NC until the retraining is all done.

Once you reassign a few captains, you will see the amount of XP needed to retrain a captain goes up, the more skill points he has (not the more that are assigned, but the more he has). This is why it is better to give captains an initial non-premium ship assignment right away. Assigning to a non-premium ship adds one more ship to the rotation that the captain can go through, without retraining penalty, for the daily first win bonuses, or just for more ship variety with your best commanders.

And one more thing: Except for low-skill-point captains, it's almost always worth it to shell out the 200,000 credits to cut retraining time in half, when offered the chance in the "Accelerate Retraining" window.

2 hours ago, The_Massacrerer said:

...wouldn't putting him on other ships be a detriment to their play?

Only if you hop a captain between non-premium ships. That sets the retraining counter back to zero each time you move him, and that hurts.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
left off the end of a sentence
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,829 posts
7,053 battles
1 hour ago, The_Massacrerer said:

You've got to think about which ships you're rotating your captain between, and how his skills impact them.

For example, my best captain is currently in the Edinburgh, at 17 points. He started out as a cruiser captain, so his 10 point skills were Priority Target, Last Stand, Superintendent, Concealment Expert. All those benefit a British light cruiser.

Next skill added was Survivability Expert, 350HP for every tier level of ship he's in. That benefits any ship.

Then I got into Premiums. I bought Warspite (BB) and Gallant (DD), and subsequently unlocked Nelson (BB). Priority Target benefits them all. Superintendent benefits them all (extra heals for the battleships, extra smoke and speed boost for the DD). Last Stand benefits the DD hugely, even if it's wasted on the battleships (unless you take a torpedo right up the backside). 

I got the Expert Marksman skill, which benefits the battleships, and even the cruiser (British CL turrets do not turn wildly fast). It's sort of wasted on the DD, but doesn't hurt in a close-range engagement.

The skills are mostly overlapping, with some having benefits to all ships the captain goes into and others having benefits to enough of those ships to make them not a waste.

My long term plan (i.e. once I have ground him to 19 points) is to put on Vigilance (being able to see torpedoes earlier is always nice) and Preventive Maintenance (reducing the chance of certain important things breaking is also nice), which benefit any ship.

What you need to do is take the sort of example I've described here and think about how your captain's skills are going to benefit/work with various premium ships that you have (or are planning on getting). They may not always be ideal. Sometimes you just have to muddle through and do your best with what you have.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1