You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BarronRichthofen

DD Play is NOT dead.

29 comments in this topic

[DRHS]
Members
324 posts
13,533 battles

So as we all know there are a lot of forum posts about radar and how it has ruined DD Play. I'll admit that being a DD capt has gotten harder and the skill level to be even somewhat effective has gone up. But there are still some of us out there that do still kick the proverbial [edited].

DDplay.PNG

[-BRS-]
Members
2,624 posts
16,045 battles

Yeah but look at the other teams destroyers

Nobody said  A good destroyer driver can't make it 

I have plenty cherry pick games where I did fantastic but the other 50% not so much

Am I not entertained?

only 50% percent the time

But I must admit I throw out the compliments when I get it good destroy driver on my team

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles
9 minutes ago, BarronRichthofen said:

So as we all know there are a lot of forum posts about radar and how it has ruined DD Play. I'll admit that being a DD capt has gotten harder and the skill level to be even somewhat effective has gone up. But there are still some of us out there that do still kick the proverbial [edited].

DDplay.PNG

BBs have become stale, that's why. Cruisers with radar may be fun, but your average player tends to not know how to play them. CVs?

The average player knows what awaits them if they even so much as ATTEMPT to learn how to play CVs: darkness and despair.  Getting Teamkilled by people who don't like how the CV player plays, getting their butts royally spanked by unicum CV players, losing their planes really fast, facing absurd AA when up-tiered, and CV play in general being of a very high learning curve are all factors in many newer players choosing DDs as their second majorly played class.

[DRHS]
Members
324 posts
13,533 battles

I'll admit the "stars aligned" in this match, me and the Fletcher tag teamed torps and guns on their 2 radar ship within the first 3 min.  From there it was fairly easy for us.  But the 3 of us did far more than just get the kills. We DD's worked as a team which is uncommon in DD play and IMO why the DD's did as well as we did. 

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles

Yeah,  I've been seeing a lot of games with 4-5 DDs per side and only 1 or 2 radars. 

[-BRS-]
Members
2,624 posts
16,045 battles
1 minute ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Yeah,  I've been seeing a lot of games with 4-5 DDs per side and only 1 or 2 radars. 

I wish that was the norm I wouldn't complain so much

and because I not getting enough sleep maybe that's my problem also:cap_fainting:

[TDD]
Members
1,095 posts
8,801 battles

I hate radar wish it would die and sink to the bottom of the ocean that being said I know it's not going away so what did I do. I have started playing DDs almost exclusivly and not just DDs but t 8-10 DDs and guess what...I have gotten better much better.

so no DDs are not dead we will not die we will overcome and we will sink all you other so and so's in yer BBs CAs and CLs...oh and you too CV watch out we are coming for you

Edited by nina_blain_73

[PLPT]
Members
939 posts
8,399 battles

I was a DD main but gave up and started playing BB like WG wants me to.  République is my first T10 BB and it’s sooo easy compared to DD’s. Just point and kill.  Imagine if your torpedos could fly through the air and hit their target in only 10 seconds, then reload less than 30s later!

I rush smoke, take one or two torps on the bow, then hit damage control and cackle wildly as my secondaries set fires and my OP AP tears the DD a new aft.

I fear no-one when playing a T10 BB.  I don’t even really need to look at the lineup.  Radar cruiser? Blap. DD? Blap. Enemy BB? Blap if broadside, otherwise bow tank / dodge and blap everything else.  Easy mode.

Why bother suffering through destroyer play?

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[-BRS-]
Members
2,624 posts
16,045 battles
23 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I was a DD main but gave up and started playing BB like WG wants me to.  République is my first T10 BB and it’s sooo easy compared to DD’s. Just point and kill.  Imagine if your torpedos could fly through the air and hit their target in only 10 seconds, then reload less than 30s later!

I rush smoke, take one or two torps on the bow, then hit damage control and cackle wildly as my secondaries set fires and my OP AP tears the DD a new aft.

I fear no-one when playing a T10 BB.  I don’t even really need to look at the lineup.  Radar cruiser? Blap. DD? Blap. Enemy BB? Blap if broadside, otherwise bow tank / dodge and blap everything else.  Easy mode.

That's so true Except battleships are boring

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
8 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

That's so true Except battleships are boring

Lol not the way I play them, I get close range with all weapons firing and armor shattering hits are exchanged, fires from bow to stern acrose sometimes multiple warships, they get sunk and I emerge a littler scorched, missing some AA guns as well, but still hungry for HP. Then I have to desired which of the fleeting enemy ships I wish to attack next... :cap_haloween:

Those close range brawls in BBs never get old or dull, always risking it for the potential of greater rewards. That is why I often use German BBs, mid tier British BBs, French BBs, as some of the Japanese ones is because I can get into some nice brawls when I want to. USN BBs are not always the best brawlers, but must say the Massachusetts looks really good at brawling though.

I also make good use of cruisers, CVs, and DDs, I am a well rounded player. :Smile_Default:

[-BRS-]
Members
2,624 posts
16,045 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol not the way I play them, I get close range with all weapons firing and armor shattering hits are exchanged, fires from bow to stern acrose sometimes multiple warships, they get sunk and I emerge a littler scorched, missing some AA guns as well, but still hungry for HP. Then I have to desired which of the fleeting enemy ships I wish to attack next... :cap_haloween:

Those close range brawls in BBs never get old or dull, always risking it for the potential of greater rewards. That is why I often use German BBs, mid tier British BBs, French BBs, as some of the Japanese ones is because I can get into some nice brawls when I want to. USN BBs are not always the best brawlers, but must say the Massachusetts looks really good at brawling though.

I also make good use of cruisers, CVs, and DDs, I am a well rounded player. :Smile_Default:

I'm starting to become a well rounded player but battleships just don't click for me

Maybe if I were to started out with them 1st but everything feels so slow

drives me nuts

[FAE]
Members
2,338 posts
2,886 battles
57 minutes ago, n00bot said:

This is exactly what BB play is like compared to DD play. =D 

Same thing. I've stopped playing DDs and just play GK. And Gneisenau, my current DD. 

My guilio caped 2 solo caps last night, and was about to solo cap a 3rd cap too. Like really...? 

DD play is awful. 

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,474 posts
21,329 battles
2 hours ago, BarronRichthofen said:

DDplay.PNG

With all them radars floating around it sure as hell is !!!!!

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles

Good game!

Not a particularly heavy radar presence in this match compared to many I've seen. Makes it easier to track, avoid and kill the radar ships.

I see 5 BBs (6 if you count Kronstadt) , 4 CA/CL and 3 DD (I think 2 DDs is closer to the average).  I've seen lots of one or NO DD games lately too.

What were the team compositions before the proliferation of radar ships in tier 8-10 battles? Seems like 4 DDs per team was common. My (limited) observations are that the DD population at higher tiers has dropped off quite a bit.

High tier DD play is not dead, but I am reminded heavily of the Monty Python "Bring out your dead" sketch. ("I'm not dead!")

Edited by Sabot_100

[PAT]
Members
1,643 posts
3,714 battles

DD players complain about the "radarpocalypse" but the real problem is with CVs XD. These new radar ships are 100% assured to have nasty AA and DFAA. My average damage has tanked since the new lines have been introduced, and there is DFAA everywhere. I used to find Taiho play to be good fun, now it's almost miserable. To put it in perspective, I play DDs to relieve the retarded amount of pain and stress that occur almost every match now due to 4+ DFAA equipped ships on every team. 

I think DD players need to check their privilege ;)

• Cool 1

[RNDM]
Members
280 posts
4,786 battles
33 minutes ago, megadeux said:

DD players complain about the "radarpocalypse" but the real problem is with CVs XD. These new radar ships are 100% assured to have nasty AA and DFAA. My average damage has tanked since the new lines have been introduced, and there is DFAA everywhere. I used to find Taiho play to be good fun, now it's almost miserable. To put it in perspective, I play DDs to relieve the retarded amount of pain and stress that occur almost every match now due to 4+ DFAA equipped ships on every team. 

Check my privilege!? What am I!? 

Its alright I get it. My planes kept getting shredded in up tiered matches filled with AA. I recently sold my Lexington because I was sick of it. Maybe I'll buy it back eventually but until then DDs are still my go to class. Thank you thread for reminding us that DDs can dominate and thank you megadeux for reminding us that some one else is below us on the pyramid even if the pyramid is inverted so the tip is the bottom.

• Funny 1

[RED2]
Members
1,611 posts
8,434 battles

DDs generally fall under the whole difficult to learn, awesome once you do category. Without a CV the DD is the eyes of the team. A good set of DDs generally means the team will do well and a bad set usually means they will fail. I can't tell you the amount of times I've had shots on someone on low hp only for a DD to panic and smoke himself and the whole team or have been blinded by a torpedo boat player who refuses to move one meter closer than his maximum torp range. As for radar a little map awareness and speed can usually neutralize it.

2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

What were the team compositions before the proliferation of radar ships in tier 8-10 battles? Seems like 4 DDs per team was common. My (limited) observations are that the DD population at higher tiers has dropped off quite a bit.

They introduced radar before they really made a serious attempt to iron out the match maker. Before its introduction having 3 DDs on one side and 7 DDs on the other was not terribly uncommon.

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles

I will agree that, from a DD perspective, CVs are a bigger problem than radar cruisers. (Not even addressing the problem from the CVs point of view). If you are pressing forward trying to scout/cap like a DD should, trying to keep clear of the radar, there is little you can do when the planes spot you. Very few DDs have truly threatening AA so you are seen as an easy, high value target at the higher tiers where cross drops can all but assure a kill. If the CV can't kill you, getting perma-spotted and focused probably will. CVs just don't get all the forum attention that radar does because they are relatively rare. Every high tier game now has at least a few radars per team. Seems like only 10-20% will have a CV.

[TMS]
Members
2,391 posts
24,638 battles
On 07/08/2018 at 9:12 PM, n00bot said:

I took a break from my shima and grinded my ZAO legendary mod in 2 and half days, it was so much easier than playing a DD.

• Cool 2

[FAE]
Members
2,338 posts
2,886 battles
1 hour ago, Final8ty said:

I took a break from my shima and grinded my ZAO legendary mod in 2 and half days, it was so much easier than playing a DD.

Yep this. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,594 posts
13,767 battles

I'm doing what I can to make driving radar cruiser unpopular..  Got my first tier IX play Kraken (I think, could be wrong) in my Yugumo the other day for a 6 kill win..  2 of my kills were 2 DesMoinies.. and a Mino that were all tucked into the mino smoke.. 1...2...3.  Then I went and bagged a near dead shimmy, and a full health Yamato (he was NOT happy ..died trying to run away from where those 3 cruisers got bagged!) and 'Tana that had the choice of my torps or the rest of my teams guns.. so nose into the BB, broadside to me.. At least is was quick.  The only other radar ship on the opposing teams was a Moskva that died right about the same time I took the 'moine's out..

It always upset em when you decide to go cruiser hunting.  luck counted .

Luck played a factor, bad decisions played a factor, and me learning how to shoot torps without ever locking my targets so as to not warn them counted..

DD play is far from dead, but it is more difficult from tier VII on up.

[CUTER]
Members
2,560 posts
11,437 battles

DD play is not dead.  Just need to know your craft and your limitations.

I murdered almost everything on my flank.  Only lost because a Farragut AFKed and couldnt cap B, and I had been pushed so far out it took me too long to get to B to cap.

shot-18_08.11_20_50_50-0050.thumb.jpg.1db7d270fab5fcbe0f01e2a487c40400.jpg

image.thumb.png.7d04e2889cd65306c8b9dae994756acc.png

I call the next screenshot "I have become Death".  Everything I touched I killed.

shot-18_08.11_20_51.20-0035.thumb.jpg.edd0a299d35ccbf462fd80d137902ae3.jpg

One of the worst heartbreaking games I've had in a while.  Mostly because the AFK.  We had this.  Watch my youtube for the replay soon.  Might need to re record it because I was on standby in CUTER team comms for CB.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 12:39 PM, silverdahc said:

I wish that was the norm I wouldn't complain so much

and because I not getting enough sleep maybe that's my problem also:cap_fainting:

5v5 DD play doesn't happen because of the perceived threat from Radar Cruisers. 

I'm NOT saying they're not a threat; what I'm saying is due to the Mindset of Fear, less people are playing DDs. Less players in the pool equate to higher chances of RCs and high numbers of Cruiser matches. 

It's similar to the reputation of CVs, they have a tonne of Hate but that's because they're a rare few. Because they're rare nobody spec's against them. Because they're rare very few know how to play against them. 

And none of that has to due with skill set differences of the individual CVs. 

----

DD casuals gripe hard about RCs; they also gripe hard about CVs.

Those players trend convert to CACLs of BBs.

DD mains granted complain, but their "casual" player pool is greatly diminished; and now playing RCs of BBs. 

In randoms is hard to coordinate counter Radar plays, likewise in Divs to a point, Divs spawn close to each other. The strongest counter RC position is normally opposite the div's collective spawn point (spawn "C" counter Radar position is potentially "A" )

Members
1,898 posts
9,842 battles

Hey

I would say DD play is far from dead, but it's not as easy as it used to be because of the amount of radar in the game and the general lack of support found in randoms these days.  People seem like they just want to farm damage instead of playing the objective.  And as a DD player, why should I go into a cap only to see my team still back in spawn/base or hiding behind islands.  Seems about 75% of the time a DD has very little support from his team in the early game.  Many people don't see the need to take out the radar cruiser first, in order to give the DD a chance to get caps.  But DD's are still challenging, fun to play and even those I still struggle with knife-fighting other DD's, I have fun most of the time.  I love to single out a specific ship and go after them.

Pete

• Cool 2

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
974 posts
8,514 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 4:57 PM, megadeux said:

Nicolas%20Cage%20trying%20not%20to%20lau

That's hilarious. The Ships with radar having nasty AA and DFAA magically changes all the issues with 40 second radar that magically sees through everything with in a 9km radius. The entire CV vs AA issue is completely separate problem that has nothing to do with the fact that radar has been poorly implemented and balanced with a sledge hammer.

Privilege... HA! privilege. :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by Vekta408
  • Funny 1