You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Torpedo Tuesday - Launching an Attack

54 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,304 posts
7,320 battles

File:Kamikaze R wows main.jpg

When is the best time to launch a torpedo strike on the enemy fleet?

Depending on the destroyer tier, nation, or tech-tree, each vessel has its strengths when it comes to using its deadly payload.

Some are better at sniping from long range using concealment, others lay in wait and ambush unsuspecting prey at close range.

How best do you make the enemy fleet run for their lives from your deadly torpedo strike?

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - David Farragut, US Navy

#torpedotuesday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 3

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
13 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - David Farragut, US Navy

And BTW for those who do not know this during American Civil War what they called torpedoes are called mines today.:Smile_honoring:

My Favorite DD right now is my little T-22, and her Torps are fun:Smile_teethhappy:

I for the most part try to launch mine as ambush.

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 4

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,703 posts
3,895 battles

well nevermind

I don't play destroyers above tier 5 anymore, because the saturation of  radar adds an unnecessarily unfair complication to playing a ship type that is already very difficult to do well in.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
21 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

well nevermind

I don't play destroyers above tier 5 anymore, because the saturation of  radar adds an unnecessarily unfair complication to playing a ship type that is already very difficult to do well in.

That is why I use long range Torps and stealthy DDs to attack enemy ships including the Radar cruisers. Just killed Belfast few minutes ago with Kagero before they even had the chance to use their radar on me. Because by the time they detect my Torps it is too late, I am out of their radar range.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,703 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

That is why I use long range Torps and stealthy DDs to attack enemy ships including the Radar cruisers. Just killed Belfast few minutes ago with Kagero before they even had the chance to use their radar on me. Because by the time they detect my Torps it is too late, I am out of their radar range.

I love being told how to play destroyers as if I don't have a Shimakaze.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

well nevermind

42 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

40 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Well, to be honest KiyoSenkan, you mostly complain about RADAR based on past threads. Other players of high tier DDs have mentioned ways to mitigate RADAR, but you argue with them and still complain. Far be it for someone who is complaining about something to get advice on how to mitigate that thing that they are complaining about.

Edited by Kizarvexis
edited who the comment was for, sorry for the misunderstanding
  • Cool 4

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Well, to be honest, you mostly complain about RADAR based on past threads. Other players of high tier DDs have mentioned ways to mitigate RADAR, but you argue with them and still complain. Far be it for someone who is complaining about something to get advice on how to mitigate that thing that they are complaining about.

Um I never complained about Radar, I have made posts about how to deal with Radar, and did make a thread about Radar possibly being a destrable  module on ships like turrets are in an attempt to settle the heated Radar debate as a means of keeping both sides of argument happy lol. Although I did mention  before that tier V should not have to face radar since new players that are still learning the game should not be subjected to that “ unknown variable” in battles that early, other than that I have no problem with Radar really one way or the other. 

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
8,867 battles

It as you say depends on the ship.

If you have a 3 rack boat or more, you can use the first pair to turn the prey into the other sets.

You can also spread sets out more, so more often 3/4 rack ships can be good open water boats.

What is fun and not always a good plan is to chase in on a target like a lone BB  for example.

At T4-T6 a lone BB is like a Wounded Antelope on occasion so its easy to chase down and once the ship has fired you can move in close for a kill.

Islands allow great kill shots, but they limit spotting for your team.

The advent of radar has totally destroyed DD play above T7, so the patient game, pack shooting from range is now the standard for the first ten minutes.

Capping above T7 is pretty much useless because of radar, better to wait for the fleet.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Um I never complained about Radar, I have made posts about how to deal with Radar, and did make a thread about Radar possibly being a destrable  module on ships like turrets are in an attempt to settle the heated Radar debate as a means of keeping both sides of argument happy lol. Although I did mention  before that tier V should not have to face radar since new players that are still learning the game should not be subjected to that “ unknown variable” in battles that early, other than that I have no problem with Radar really one way or the other. 

Sorry, I was directing that comment to KiyoSenkan and put your post in as someone who is offering advice to counter RADAR. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
4 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Sorry, I was directing that comment to KiyoSenkan and put your post in as someone who is offering advice to counter RADAR. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quite alright. :Smile_honoring:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,703 posts
3,895 battles
24 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Well, to be honest, you mostly complain about RADAR based on past threads. Other players of high tier DDs have mentioned ways to mitigate RADAR, but you argue with them and still complain. Far be it for someone who is complaining about something to get advice on how to mitigate that thing that they are complaining about.

I can still dislike it even if I know how to play around it. That's kind of a point I've been stressing for like 2 months now.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
8 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Quite alright. :Smile_honoring:

:Smile_honoring:

4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I can still dislike it even if I know how to play around it. That's kind of a point I've been stressing for like 2 months now.

There are things I dislike about the game, complain about a little, but I play around them. For each their own. Good luck on your crusade vs RADAR. :Smile_honoring:

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

My Favorite DD right now is my little T-22, and her Torps are fun:Smile_teethhappy:

The T-22 is also my favorite. But I'm finding having the long range torps makes me want to use them when I probably shouldn't. She's best used in ambush. 

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
939 posts
8,385 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Your T5 can still see radar when being uptiered against the Atlanta (8k), Belfast (8.5k) and Indianapolis (10k). Enjoy playing against 10k radar with your 6k torps. :Smile_sceptic:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,703 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Your T5 can still see radar when being uptiered against the Atlanta (8k), Belfast (8.5k) and Indianapolis (10k). Enjoy playing against 10k radar with your 6k torps. :Smile_sceptic:

Difference is I don't encounter 6 of those per side in tier 5 like I do in my Shimakaze.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,227 posts
14,287 battles
  1. Can you stealth torp?
    • YES -> Go to #2
    • NO -> YOLO
  2. Is target stupid?
    • YES -> Shoot white indicator
    • NO -> Find stupider target
  • Funny 2

[PLPT]
Members
939 posts
8,385 battles

I’m confused... torps are still used to “attack” and “strike” the enemy “fleet”?

I thought they were just for distracting the enemy and making them turn broadside so your BB’s can blap them and take all the kills and credit(s).

How to get torpedo hits:

1. Wait for BB’s to kill the radar cruisers

2. Wait for any planes to clear out of the torpedo’s path

3. Try to get closer

4. Pray hydro is down

5. Die trying

Ok seriously though, being able to score torp hits is all about stealth and positioning.  You somehow have to dodge all the radar cruisers and flanking DD’s to get a nice from-the-side angle against targets which don’t expect you to be there.  It can be very challenging in higher tiers.

I almost never rush in close to torp. If you don’t completely kill your target, or if they have surprise allies nearby, you are dead.  If WG ever meant this to be a tactic, they’ve ruined it with radar and hydro and torpedo belts and damage saturation, all of which conspire to make torps ineffective regardless of the range.  “Ambush” tactics only work at like Tiers 1-4.

Edited by n00bot

Beta Testers
1,567 posts
9,757 battles
2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Because playing one means you have them all perfected? 

I see your Shima, and raise you a Khab.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

When you are A) in range AND B) your team mates are all behind you.

Having satisfied those two requirements, the closer you can get before you attack, the more concentrated your spreads, and the harder it is to evade your torps.

Torpedo Basics

• Cool 1

Members
645 posts

I launch Them when I see Flipper or Aquaman or King Neptune or the naked hoochie coochie Girls on the Island in Land of Fire.

I may add ...We Need More Radar Ships.....Longer Duration.....Farther Reach

Subs and Minelayers

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,703 posts
3,895 battles
16 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Because playing one means you have them all perfected? 

I see your Shima, and raise you a Khab.

I have that too. Also the only destroyer I've been playing above tier 5 for 2 months.

It's such a brainlessly easy boat to do well in.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Members
339 posts
3,503 battles
2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

So you know how to play around radar but choose not to, and still complain about it and have been for two months?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,703 posts
3,895 battles
5 minutes ago, LB_Binghamton said:

So you know how to play around radar but choose not to, and still complain about it and have been for two months?

Did I ever say I chose not to use the appropriate tactics? The problem is the appropriate tactics result in a boring, unrewarding game 9 times out of 10.

• Cool 1

Members
251 posts
17,171 battles

When I am <4km from my target

Torpedoes at high tier have a very long reload, I hate having to wait 2 minutes to launch another set after finding out my target has lightly tapped A or D a few times.

When I launch my torpedoes, I make them count. All or nothing

Members
1,050 posts
4,671 battles
48 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Did I ever say I chose not to use the appropriate tactics? The problem is the appropriate tactics result in a boring, unrewarding game 9 times out of 10.

I asked for feedback in IJN dd section, but might as well post this replay in my Asashio here in regards to torpedoes radar and CVs at T10.

ANYONE!!! Please teach this (meaning me) potato DD player how I could  have done better in the following game:

https://replayswows.com/replay/download/28073

Edited by Vaitmana