You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chief_STGC_SW

We need Dual Telegraphs.

44 comments in this topic

Members
24 posts
8 battles

Proper handling of multi-shaft ships requires dual Telegraphs.  This would also make ship-handling more realistic, and aid in the dodging of torpedo's, tight turns, etc...

Wargamming - Please look into this.

Don't worry about complicating the controls. We're big boys and girls and we can handle it.  You can even have an option to tether the two so you can continue to drive the ships as they are now if you choose.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SFBG]
[SFBG]
Members
1,599 posts
8,373 battles

Interesting idea.  Maybe could be presented as a consumable or a captain skill that decreased the ship's turning radius by xx%...

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,469 battles

Why over-complicate things when the focus should be on gunnery and combat related controls?  This is an arcade game, not a simulator.

• Cool 3

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Instead of

W

ASD

we could have

WE

ASDF

What's not to like?

[WOLFG]
Members
4,742 posts
2,655 battles
4 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Instead of

W

ASD

we could have

WE

ASDF

What's not to like?

hmmm. 

That kind of spaces out the controls a little.

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,272 battles

ASDF?  Q and E work perfectly well for me most of the time.  I do like A and D for cancelling orders though, that works well.

All silliness aside; I like a one-third/two-thirds twist as much as anybody, but my opinion is that it'd be complicating things a bit much for this game.

-R

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,756 posts
10,986 battles
20 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Why over-complicate things when the focus should be on gunnery and combat related controls?  This is an arcade game, not a simulator.

This, game wise it is a simple either/or of forward or reverse and it should stay this way.

6,051 posts

Complicated?

This is trivial. Remember Falcon 3.0?

Probably not, as many of you were just a twinkle in Daddy's eye. Falcon used every key on the keyboard and most of the shifted and alts besides.

Two more keys, complicated! I must find some beer to chortle into tonight.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,756 posts
10,986 battles
6 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Complicated?

Probably not, as many of you were just a twinkle in Daddy's eye. Falcon used every key on the keyboard and most of the shifted and alts besides.

That is a simulation game and the manual huge.

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,210 battles
12 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Complicated?

I was super young but I remember my older brothers & dad playing that! (They were around 10 years old) and they had that game down pretty good. 

It's not like there's a ton going on in WoWs,  I think it would be better as a module (kind of like the engine booster gives 50% more power when at neutral). It should give ##% more turning power when straight for like 2 seconds

Edited by Merlox

Members
2,865 posts
5,907 battles
11 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Complicated?

Oh yeah..back to those 486 days and DOS...Yeah remember it well and that program was VERY CHALLENGING for sure.  If I remember right it had a inlay keyboard template that filled almost all of the keys for a particular function.  I mean like almost ALL the keys had some meaning.    I think I went with a LESSER complex program like: JETFIGHTER in those days.   

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
56 minutes ago, Chief_STGC_SW said:

Proper handling of multi-shaft ships requires dual Telegraphs.  This would also make ship-handling more realistic, and aid in the dodging of torpedo's, tight turns, etc...

Don't worry about complicating the controls. We're big boys and girls and we can handle it.  You can even have an option to tether the two so you can continue to drive the ships as they are now if you choose.

49 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

This^^

51 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

Interesting idea.  Maybe could be presented as a consumable or a captain skill that decreased the ship's turning radius by xx%...

And this^^^. I like this idea.

19 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Complicated?

Because my 'a' key and 'caps lock' keep switching places. My 'd' and 'f' switch places. Same goes with 'q' and 'e' moving around.  And you want to add another key for forward and reverse as well? How much MORE of a potato do you want players like us to be? We will forever be looking at the key board and playing with both throttles to be able to notice what is going on in game, much less on the min-map.

I am kind of joking and really not as I don't need things to be more complicated than they are already. I am old and don't need to feel older. And before y'all say y'all are old too, I most played RTS games, so this shooter stuff is still fairly new for me. I like the consumable or captain skill idea above.

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

I love how people immediately jump on 'arcade vs simulator' bandwagons.  Lol.  The game is incredibly oversimplified in many regards.  I played Navyfield.  You know how you have to aim in that game?  MANUALLY.  You have to choose your gun setup, R or T (Main Battery or Auxillary), Switch between front and back with Z and C or both with X.  W to elevate your guns.  A to bring active guns left.  D to bring active guns right.  S to de-elevate your guns.  Alt to turn TDA on and off to switch sides quickly.  Shift to slow degree incrementals.  Q and E to rotate rear/front toward or away from each other.  You wanted to aim at a destroyer?  You better get those guns to exactly 23 degrees.  24 and you've overshot.  22 and you've undershot.  You want to hit a battleship at max range at a 44 range, but at a 45 degree angle and you at a 45 degree angle?  You dang well better decrease the elevation of your forward gun to 43 and increase your aft gun to 45.  But it's still widely considered an ARCADE game.

• Cool 1

[SFBG]
[SFBG]
Members
1,599 posts
8,373 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

This^^

Because my 'a' key and 'caps lock' keep switching places. My 'd' and 'f' switch places. Same goes with 'q' and 'e' moving around.  And you want to add another key for forward and reverse as well? How much MORE of a potato do you want players like us to be? We will forever be looking at the key board and playing with both throttles to be able to notice what is going on in game, much less on the min-map.

I am kind of joking and really not as I don't need things to be more complicated than they are already. I am old and don't need to feel older. And before y'all say y'all are old too, I most played RTS games, so this shooter stuff is still fairly new for me. I like the consumable or captain skill idea above.

Slightly off topic, but when I found I couldn't maintain proper key control, I stuck two pieces of that felt pad for furniture feet on the A and D keys... First and third fingers on the felt pads, and everything falls where it should.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,702 posts
3,895 battles
4 hours ago, Quaffer said:

Instead of

W

ASD

we could have

WE

ASDF

What's not to like?

I'm having vietnam flashbacks from QWOP

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,702 posts
3,895 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

This^^

Could just make it something that's enabled in Options, and off by default.

Members
24 posts
8 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 1:17 PM, Ace_04 said:

I'm a human.  I can handle the complexity.

Members
24 posts
8 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 6:06 PM, KiyoSenkan said:

Could just make it something that's enabled in Options, and off by default.

Yes, like I said.  There could be an option to tether the controls together, effectively making it exactly the way it is right now.  An easy solution for those that find it too complicated.

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,469 battles
16 hours ago, Chief_STGC_SW said:

I'm a human.  I can handle the complexity.

Doesn't mean everyone else does.  Some people just want to shoot at stuff in a naval combat game.  There are other ship simulator games for complex stuff like this.

16 hours ago, Chief_STGC_SW said:

Yes, like I said.  There could be an option to tether the controls together, effectively making it exactly the way it is right now.  An easy solution for those that find it too complicated.

Wouldn't that essentially give an unfair advantage to those who use it?

6,051 posts
26 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Wouldn't that essentially give an unfair advantage to those who use it?

If players find that there is an advantage to using it, it will be used. If it's available to everyone, it can hardly be described as unfair.

Chording (pressing multiple keys to obtain an effect) has been used in many games. In Descent I had my keyboard laid out with lots of chords. e.g. turn right and left stafe puts you in a clockwise orbit. Workes in FPS games too.

Chording left and right telegraph keys is not very hard.

[TDRB]
Members
2,654 posts
7,644 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 12:10 PM, Chief_STGC_SW said:

Yes and ships that exceed 35 knots should have to pin their rudder or they would roll over & sink.

This game is already labeled as one of the more difficult games to learn to play. WG is aware of that. Why would they wish to complicate the game any further?

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
4,297 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 7:17 AM, Ace_04 said:

Why not make a naval combat arcade game that reflects like, I dunno, actual naval combat rather than double down and make WoT-Water edition?

If you think that would be over complicating things...maybe ship games arent your thing?

Wouldnt be that complicated at all...same W/S keys for acceleration, but a simple slider on the UI that would allow you to roll the port or starboard engines ahead or astern for tighter turns on multi-shaft ships rather than coding 'duh...long ship must take miles to turn because ummmm...they are big'.

Having served on BBs, CGs, and DDGs....I for one can tell you that multi shaft ships are far more maneuverable than they are in game. If you saw what the Nimitz, or my 1st ship, the Big J,  can do when she needs to, your head would likely explode. Impressive for such an apparently large and ungainly target.

Edit: Forgot to add that the ships with multiple rudders are even more nimble. 

Edit 2: Or as Quaffer said....chording keys. Forgot about something that would be arguably easier than a UI change.

Edited by BBsquid
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,702 posts
3,895 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Yes and ships that exceed 35 knots should have to pin their rudder or they would roll over & sink.

This game is already labeled as one of the more difficult games to learn to play. WG is aware of that. Why would they wish to complicate the game any further?

The only situation in which this game is difficult to play is when someone comes into it with no desire to learn how to play it. This is not the game's fault.

This is in no way a difficult game to learn, nor is it especially complex. Partially due to simplifications that the devs made for playability, and partially due to shortcuts the devs took in mechanical design. It's on the low end of complexity and expectation on the player end. You want complex, look up a PS2 game called Naval Ops: Warship Gunner 2. Also a naval arcade/action game. Way more going on and way more expectation on the player.

"This game is complicated" is an excuse at best. A lie at worst.

Edited by KiyoSenkan