Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vekta408

USS Dallas, I actually like it....

17 comments in this topic

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
972 posts
8,514 battles

I've been playing a bunch of Dallas recently expecting a mind numbing grind. As much as I try I can't find anything wrong with it. From what I heard about it before playing it I expecting something mediocre at best.

The gun layout (5 front, 5 back) is great, It's got great utility with Defensive AA, a fighter and Hydro. Decent agility. AA that does something...

I'm looking forward to Helena but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep the Dallas. It feels like a solid ship to me. 

Am I in the minority here? 

[RLGN]
Members
10,347 posts
19,654 battles

Even if you are; I am as well.

For me; part of my liking Dallas is I just like the ship's looks.

As I've said before; I like that it's kind of a cross between the old Treaty cruisers and the new Helena/Clevelands.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles

I love cruisers and cruiser play and at first I didn't care for Dallas. Not sure why, probably because she was so frail but fully upgraded and a few more games with her and she kind of grew on me. I am still on the fence about keeping her but she is not as bad as I first thought. I probably will sell her and move my captain up to the next ship then later on down the road, re-purchase her.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles

I actually prefer Omaha to Dallas. Dallas, despite having better stats and equipment, feels like a step backward from Omaha. I don't care for it. I actually was looking forward to it when it was coming out but for me it failed miserably to live up to the hype and expectations. Slow, sluggish, poor ROF, limited range, poor DPM, fragile as all get out, and so forth. For me just not a good ship or even fun to play.

Wasn't a fan of Helena at 1st either but that one has grown on me a bit. Still not a huge fan. Cleveland is ok at T8 but has trouble big time when bottom tier. I actually like Seattle a lot even though many don't. Worcester is ok but I am not in love with it like many are. One thing about ALL these T6+ US CL's is they are armored with egg shell. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[O_O]
Members
5,087 posts
11,438 battles

I wasn't expecting much out of Dallas, either.  But, I have had some great, hard carry games with her...even when bottom tier.  I couldn't help but to notice she wasn't as 'meh' as I was expecting.  I have pounded the heck out of other cruisers pretty reliably with her.  I have Helena researched and have heard good things.  I am about to buy Gearing, however, so buying her is going to have to wait.  Have to get another tier 10 in port before the anniversary!

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,463 battles
48 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I wasn't expecting much out of Dallas, either.  But, I have had some great, hard carry games with her...even when bottom tier.  I couldn't help but to notice she wasn't as 'meh' as I was expecting.  I have pounded the heck out of other cruisers pretty reliably with her.  I have Helena researched and have heard good things.  I am about to buy Gearing, however, so buying her is going to have to wait.  Have to get another tier 10 in port before the anniversary!

Completely agree.  Minimal expectations of her, but was pleasantly surprised.  IFHE really brings life to her as well.  

If you like Dallas, you're going to really like Helena.  The AP isn't much to write home about, but 15 guns with IFHE is completely devastating.

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles

Pulling a surprisingly decent WR (for me) in my Dallas grind. I too had low expectations. Just got it fully upgraded. It has been performing better than expected BUT I still feel underpowered vs other T6 cruisers and  totally inferior against T7s. I did take IFHE instead of CE which makes it better offensively but can be quite nerve-wracking as it is very hard to go dark.

Still plan to move the captain to Helena.

[IND8]
Members
70 posts
1,546 battles

I am considering starting a US Cruiser to play the new line. Just trying to see what others thing of them and if its worth doing. Currently working on UK and French cruisers (mainly).

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
972 posts
8,514 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 4:41 AM, Ace_04 said:

Completely agree.  Minimal expectations of her, but was pleasantly surprised.  IFHE really brings life to her as well.  

If you like Dallas, you're going to really like Helena.  The AP isn't much to write home about, but 15 guns with IFHE is completely devastating.

I moved my Dallas captain over to the Helena. Hit a hipper with a full HE salvo and went...

75f48aa3878cf9dde5a89132464718b6.jpg

When I get IFHE...o0o0o0o when I get IFHE! mmm...mmm...MMMMM!:cap_rambo::Smile-_tongue:

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,463 battles
3 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

I moved my Dallas captain over to the Helena. Hit a hipper with a full HE salvo and went...

75f48aa3878cf9dde5a89132464718b6.jpg

When I get IFHE...o0o0o0o when I get IFHE! mmm...mmm...MMMMM!:cap_rambo::Smile-_tongue:

Used an IFHE equipped Helena in the Narai operation last night.......was pretty disgusting (and fun).

Members
614 posts
On 8/7/2018 at 1:08 AM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Even if you are; I am as well.

For me; part of my liking Dallas is I just like the ship's looks.

As I've said before; I like that it's kind of a cross between the old Treaty cruisers and the new Helena/Clevelands.

Agreed, the ship is loads of fun win or lose.  I have mine decked out in Type 5 with the alternate grey US camo (if I was at home I'd grab a screenshot).  Dallas, Helena and Boise are great looking ships....and the fun factor definitely helps.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I like Dallas, she's a good ship. I didn't keep her though. I could only use the captain on either Dallas or Helena and Helena's definitely the better of the 2. Besides, I already have 3 excellent tier 6 Cruisers. (De Grasse, Perth, and Graf Spee)

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,272 battles

Yep.

The only real problem I have with Dallas is that she's followed by Helena, which would make about any cruiser feel anemic.  I had several very good games with Dallas, and she was quite comfortable.  If there weren't a handful of excellent Tier VI premium cruisers, I'd be taking her out in speculative future Tier VI Ranked seasons.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
Reduction of ambiguity in language is mostly usually ordinarily always a good idea.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
972 posts
8,514 battles

Well... Dallas feels more nimple than Helena does. Easier to hide the ship and duck behind cover. Helena is a tad longer and taller. Most of the time I feel like I could get by without concealment expert on it just fine. I could grab IFHE and gets some other cheaper skills.

Edited by Vekta408

Members
116 posts
4,407 battles

Dallas is actually becoming one of my favorite ships. Love the look of her,  and am having great fun terrorizing DDs and spamming BBs. (I usually drive BBs, so it's kinda fun to be on the other end of that once in a while.)   Dallas reminds me a lot of Konigsberg (another fave) - good guns, quick and responsive, but paper armor. IFHE would be very useful.

Ah, well. "A short life but an exciting one"' as Jingles would say. :Smile_teethhappy:

Just got Helena: haven't had time to play her much yet, but she looks promising.

Edited by Fitzwalrus

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 12:51 AM, Vekta408 said:

I've been playing a bunch of Dallas recently expecting a mind numbing grind. As much as I try I can't find anything wrong with it. From what I heard about it before playing it I expecting something mediocre at best.

The gun layout (5 front, 5 back) is great, It's got great utility with Defensive AA, a fighter and Hydro. Decent agility. AA that does something...

I'm looking forward to Helena but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep the Dallas. It feels like a solid ship to me. 

Am I in the minority here? 

On 8/7/2018 at 1:20 AM, Taylor3006 said:

I love cruisers and cruiser play and at first I didn't care for Dallas. Not sure why, probably because she was so frail but fully upgraded and a few more games with her and she kind of grew on me. I am still on the fence about keeping her but she is not as bad as I first thought. I probably will sell her and move my captain up to the next ship then later on down the road, re-purchase her.

Well I have had mine for about 20 games now, and I am going to keep her. I normally like to play light cruisers that have Torpedoes, but I do not miss the Torpedoes and after getting used to the Space Shuttle Arched Guns, I been have a lot of fun in Operations and Co-Op. So I am going to keep her, even after getting the Helena. 

[TF-62]
Members
41 posts
4,697 battles

The problem with moving up from Dallas to Helena to Cleveland is that you're going to face much tougher opponents. My win % in my Helena is considerably higher than my win % with my Cleveland. It's all those Tier X monster cruisers that are the difference. Des Moines, Hindenburg, they eat a Tier VIII Cleveland's lunch. But with the Helena, at Tier VII, you're more often in games with Tier V ships than you are with Tier IX ships. With the Cleveland, I'm matched with Tier X ships much more often than Tier VI ships.  Makes a huge difference.

Comparing the Helena to the Cleveland, I find the Helena's 15 guns offsets the longer reload time and makes for much for DPM (dopamine per minute) with all those huge storms of 6"/47 raining down on the enemy 

Edited by NeptunesInferno

Sign in to follow this