YeOldeTraveller

Getting started with Game Center on a Mac

11 comments in this topic

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,055 battles

[I received a question regarding getting the Game Center running on a Mac.  I don't have one, so I am starting this thread to collect the needed information to develop a Quick Start Guide for new users.]

Where does one get the installer for a fresh install of the Game Center for OSX?

What are the steps that need to be followed for most users?  (We can add significant variations as we run into them.  OSX should be pretty consistent system to system, so I hope the variations are minimal.)

Thanks for input on this thread.

Please limit discussion here to information that will help other players get the software installed and running on their system.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,443 posts
20,374 battles

I got the GLC installer from the World of Warplanes website since it wasn't available on the WoWS one. It is a DMG file so it is easy to install and so far works great on my Mac. To get the file, just hit the "download game" button. This will give you the Launcher file, not WoWP so it downloads quickly. If you want the game, you can easily get it after you install the Launcher. 

The file works like any other DMG, double click and follow the prompts, it installs itself. I always do this from Finder so I don't have to change permissions. Once it is installed take a few minutes to adjust the settings to your preference, there are plenty of options so go thru them all. If you have multiple people using the same computer, don't forget to click on the "head" on the bottom, left corner of the screen to allow more than one user. 

• Cool 2

[FAE]
Members
2,338 posts
2,886 battles

the game seems massively slow and horrifyingly low FPS rates (like 5-16/s). Anyone else have this issue? 

I'm assuming that its unrelated to the WGC and that it doesn't download automatically and start slowing things down. 

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The file works like any other DMG, double click and follow the prompts, it installs itself.

You will also most likely have to go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General > Open Anyways to open WGC since it is from an unidentified developer.

[-V1-]
Members
366 posts
6,345 battles

THANKS A MILLION for the help.    I used the World of Airplanes site, clicked on download game and the link to Gaming Center popped up.  Clicked on it and followed directions given and it is now working.   The only issue is during play of the game occasionally the center will pop up in the middle of the screen and I hit a key and it goes away.    Other than that it is working fine and many thanks to Ye Ole Traveler for his overly kind assistance and those of you who pitched in answers.   GREAT HELP to this old man!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,443 posts
20,374 battles
3 hours ago, Rpkscout1 said:

You will also most likely have to go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General > Open Anyways to open WGC since it is from an unidentified developer.

Yeah I always use Finder to open stuff that I have downloaded. Gives the one exception and don't have to fiddle with my security settings.

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles

If any Mac users have issues with WoWs crashing/freezing feel free to PM me. 

[-V1-]
Members
366 posts
6,345 battles

Update to YeOleTraveller

Since I followed the very kind instructions provided in response to you posting for me, I've had no problems with the Gaming Center Download on my Mac.    I've actually increased a couple of my game graphic settings a bit while at the same time my former problem of the game "freezing" while in play and forcing me to do a Force Quit and relaunch the game that has not happened since I downloaded the Gaming Center.   I have noted that every day there is an update I to download that has to be downloaded and relaunched for the Gaming Center, but that is all.    

So Once again THANKS for the assistance!

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles
12 hours ago, dbw86 said:

I have noted that every day there is an update I to download that has to be downloaded and relaunched for the Gaming Center

You don't have to download this update as it is the same 360Mb every time. You can just click "Skip this Version" until it says something other than "Version 18.1" or something like that.

[-V1-]
Members
366 posts
6,345 battles

Of course the very day I posted my question it stopped doing it.   But thanks for the answer just the same!