You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Blackgunner

High Angle Mode

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

Today I bring a proposal of High Angle mode for engaging targets.  This feature will primarily benefit dual purpose mounts or mounts with extreme elevations available to them.

By pressing a defined hotkey, the ship will change from direct fire to high angle mode.  This would be prevalent with US 5"/38's and other dual purpose main guns.  Instead of firing shells directly at the enemy, the shell is lobbed at high angles vertically, generally to hit short range targets behind islands or cover.  Essentially switching from artillery to mortar.  Instead of the usual view, this would switch the camera to more of a top down view.  Would primarily engage the horizontal armor of ships.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,817 posts
8,036 battles

Play carriers and get all the top down horizontal armour attacks you want. 

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
2,714 posts
16,253 battles

This is not really needed in game and you're probably posting in the wrong forum if you want the devs to consider it.

Members
4,470 posts
7,220 battles

Each nation has its own flavor of firing angles and how high the shells are lobbed.   Can see this adding to that as well when people are already complaining about ships hiding and firing over islands.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
91 posts
4,976 battles
2 hours ago, Blackgunner said:

Today I bring a proposal of High Angle mode for engaging targets.  This feature will primarily benefit dual purpose mounts or mounts with extreme elevations available to them.

By pressing a defined hotkey, the ship will change from direct fire to high angle mode.  This would be prevalent with US 5"/38's and other dual purpose main guns.  Instead of firing shells directly at the enemy, the shell is lobbed at high angles vertically, generally to hit short range targets behind islands or cover.  Essentially switching from artillery to mortar.  Instead of the usual view, this would switch the camera to more of a top down view.  Would primarily engage the horizontal armor of ships.

You're probably thinking of having the option of the spotter plane view except permanently. I think that would be a great option to add to the game for high arc ships, but i'm worried that it would result in ships like the minotaur being put at an even bigger risk of being blind fire deleted in their smoke

Beta Testers
91 posts
4,976 battles

Oh and they could also add a reduced powder charge option to the game for some ships. This was actually utilized in real life, mainly in short range bombardment mission where plunging fire was deemed more effective. This could be used as a counter to cruisers with turtle-back armor because plunging fire is more effective against that type of profile

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

The most amusing part of this, I feel, would be the inclusion of the british heavy cruisers.  The County class with its 4x2 8" guns and the York with its 3x2 8" guns.  The Mark I mounting the 8" guns were on hilariously were able to elevate to 70 degrees; making them able to fire HE at aircraft (And yes, that was the intent) lol.  Using that 70 degrees to fire SAP over an island would like incredibly amusing.

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
147 posts
21,187 battles

What if we can flood one side of a BB and make it list so you can to that also. :cap_horn:

I'd think it would be a bit unfair since an Atlanta could just circle and island an strafe the enemy of the other side.