You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

Has anyone completed Narai by landing troops instead of killing all enemies?

23 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
10,478 posts
29,297 battles
16 hours ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever managed it. You have to kill every single enemy for the transports to stand a chance, at which point you’ve already won. 

Yes, we have done that before in our Ops div. PM me if you want to join up, we are a fun group and friendly. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles

I think we did this last night this way. I remember that the message popped up that the troops landed before the last ship was sunk.

[BNKR]
Members
233 posts
1,936 battles
27 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

I think we did this last night this way. I remember that the message popped up that the troops landed before the last ship was sunk.

Same. I was surprised, as I was so dialed in to spamming the crap out of the enemies from my Atlanta. 

[KAPPA]
Members
797 posts
5,685 battles

I managed it the first time I tried the OP after it was re-released with Nagato. In that operation, a well coordinated team with the right mix of secondary build battleships, light cruisers for taking out transports and destroyers, with one or two heavy cruisers to help with heavier targets makes for a great game. Currently, my two most successful ships for that OP are my full secondary build Nagato and the Nueve de Julio with a 90% complete AA build (no manual AA yet). Scharnhorst gets an honorable mention for being a great battleship for the op, but I've only managed one win with  her so far, mostly due to luck of the draw on teams, I always manage to carry my weight and sometimes several times my weight in Narai.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[INTEL]
Members
1,459 posts
11,967 battles
15 hours ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever managed it. You have to kill every single enemy for the transports to stand a chance, at which point you’ve already won. 

Our Ops group did it two nights ago about 5 straight times.

Last night we had the best run I've experienced, by far.

All transports were undamaged when the entering the port.

All were unloading and we still killed the last bot before 1000 troops had been landed.

Mission complete in 12 minutes 30 seconds with a Tactical Expertise.

[INTEL]
Members
10,478 posts
29,297 battles
16 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

Our Ops group did it two nights ago about 5 straight times.

We did it again too, after I joined the div. 

16 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

Last night we had the best run I've experienced, by far.

All transports were undamaged when the entering the port.

All were unloading and we still killed the last bot before 1000 troops had been landed.

Mission complete in 12 minutes 30 seconds with a Tactical Expertise.

That was a fun one! You wrecked everything in sight in the Nelson. Some amazing shooting. 

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

Yes, that was how I got a 5* the first time. The team was pretty coordinated though, the other times required us to kill all the ships to get 5*. Sad thing is most of the people in ops can't handle bots that are 1-2 tiers lower.

[INTEL]
Members
1,459 posts
11,967 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

That was a fun one! You wrecked everything in sight in the Nelson. Some amazing shooting. 

TY, RNGesus was on my side, plus Nelsons 16" UK ap is brutal inside 12km on any target.

Not everything though. Mauz swiped two BBs out from under my nose! I was set up for a 3km broadside on the Mo and his torps beat my reload by about .1 sec. Mo was around 90% hp and just blew up in my face. Then he did it again on the last BB. Figure he cost me around 60k damage and a possible kill. :Smile-angry:

Need to limit him to a CV. He's as dangerous as Light in the Leningrad. 

Gotta be perfect with with this group, or risk being last. :Smile_izmena:

[AAA]
Members
505 posts
8,428 battles
2 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

Yes, that was how I got a 5* the first time. The team was pretty coordinated though, the other times required us to kill all the ships to get 5*. Sad thing is most of the people in ops can't handle bots that are 1-2 tiers lower.

An Atlanta was complaining how OP the operation was, when he let the clemson near those transport ships torp him point blank. 

Members
349 posts
6,599 battles

I have, multiple times.  It depends on the group you have and also the ship you happen to be sailing that game.  I am most comfortable running operations in my Atlanta, which also has a 19 point captain so I tend to get 5 stars and manage the troop landing win more often with it.

I run A LOT of operations though, in fact, I usually do not play any other modes except operations.  I may play a few co op games here and there to advance past tier 9 to tier 10 but the bulk of my game play is operations.  Yes, even ones like the Ultimate F.U. (Frontier).  I like figuring out and trying different tactics with different ships and see how they work.

[SRBL]
Members
256 posts
20 hours ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

Yes, did it yesterday. Only one enemy ship left when it happened. 

Edited by Tom_Greg

Members
349 posts
6,599 battles
19 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If people are letting the transports tank for them, you'll never get the operation completed via troops landing.

Unfortunately, this is what most players do.  They like to camp and hide behind the transports and other players to avoid being shot at, making the troop landing win rare.  To be fair though, engaging multiple bots up front, all the while dodging torps and dive bombers, is pretty exciting and I think most players prefer a more leisurely pace by sniping from behind.  This is also why most players prefer to kill the bot transports instead of going after the CV King.

[SRBL]
Members
256 posts
4 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

This is also why most players prefer to kill the bot transports instead of going after the CV King.

I like taking the CV with my CA. Yesterday I got it twice in three tries; took a hit from Missouri on the steering gear and then torped by the CV and failed, died once after killing the CV after getting hit by the CA and the second time got the CV, DD and CA and finished in the landing zone. 

Edited by Tom_Greg

[OO7]
Members
5,047 posts
11,754 battles

Yeah, we had one last night, so annoying to win when there were still 2 enemies to farm for damage and xp. We typically have the first transport on the west die which allows maximum farming. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,854 posts
19,266 battles
55 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

Unfortunately, this is what most players do.  They like to camp and hide behind the transports and other players to avoid being shot at, making the troop landing win rare.  To be fair though, engaging multiple bots up front, all the while dodging torps and dive bombers, is pretty exciting and I think most players prefer a more leisurely pace by sniping from behind.  This is also why most players prefer to kill the bot transports instead of going after the CV King.

I lost track how many times we had 3 idiots in the south attacking the enemy transports.  The worst I've seen was 1 CA + 2 BBs against the south transports.  I even had those morons arguing with each other about kill stealing each other's transports.  Here's a good short story from 2 screenshots, both from the same Random PUG in Narai.

Early on our Tier VII Hood took the opportunity to ram a Tier V CL.

KJ9BlF0.jpg

He loses a lot of HP from the ram.  He stays stationary and the very first enemy airstrike finds him, sinking him.  This isn't even 5 minutes into the match and we lost 1 of 2 BBs, my Scharnhorst was the last BB for the team.  Hood celebrates the ramming like it's an accomplishment when it's a massive loss for the team.  OH BUT IT GETS BETTER!

vsFmzio.jpg

Fiji was our original "south route" ship but a Yorck and Gadjah Mada decide to join.  They're arguing with each other over transport kills.  This left my Scharnhorst and an Atlanta as the only ships to go into the harbor.  Our north route Atlanta dies in the attempt to get the CV.  I don't fault that ATL for that, this is actually the toughest job to do in this Operation.  We didn't even have enough ships in the right locations to cover both transport entrances into the harbor.  This was an absolute sh*t show.

This is my life if I solo queue in Operation Narai.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
349 posts
6,599 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I lost track how many times we had 3 idiots in the south attacking the enemy transports.  The worst I've seen was 1 CA + 2 BBs against the south transports.  I even had those morons arguing with each other about kill stealing each other's transports.  Here's a good short story from 2 screenshots, both from the same Random PUG in Narai.

Hah hah....nice one.  I do have a story to share too, might seems like a brag but it is a true event.

I was playing Narai yesterday and this Fiji loudly proclaimed "I will kill the transport, ALONE!!!!!".  This alone is fine by me, though the way he said it seems to imply that others better not touch those transports as he has "claimed them".  Anyway, no big deal as I prefer to deal with the CV King in my AA spec Atlanta anyway.

When the time comes though, I noticed that he was staying way back and is very far from the transport.  So I decided to handle the transports as the rest of the team was doing well, opened throttle to max and made a dash for the transport.  You should've seen the whining from him as he was too far.  I went in, sank all the transport and he sulked for the rest of the game.

With my engine still at max speed, I made a dash towards King.  The unsupported BB sank but I managed to kill King too.

So yes, you CAN do it, kill transports AND kill King.  You'll have to drive fast, shoot fast, and not slow down but it is possible.  Took A LOT of damages from those ships in the harbor though because I didn't dodge to avoid slowing down. :cap_haloween:

[70]
Members
1,102 posts
5,697 battles

I got 5 stars in Narai once... and failed it over 60% of the time, since the update.

Before the update it was incredibly easy to get 5 stars. Now it's far too difficult. When all you have is a hammer and sickle though, trying to learn finesse in balancing things is a comedy in the making.