Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Just_Call_Him_Dave

Need help im a complete noob

17 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
1,303 battles

Hi all Dave here...yes i am an avid Jingles fan. Ive watched alot of videos from wows channels. I get the gameplay but... I always seem lost no matter what ship i play in.

I do have some premiums

Graf spee. Leningrad and some others and theyre great but my none premiums i have are as follows.

Tier 8 russian cruiser chapayev

Tier 8 Cleveland which i just sold

Tier 6 pepsicola - personally i think its crap.

Tier 7 french battleship lyon

https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1007170603,Just_Call_Him_Dave/

I need guidance regarding my stats so far. I die far too quickly and im aggressive in every ship im in.

[-BRS-]
Members
2,617 posts
16,009 battles

That's the trick don't be aggressive always

There is times to be but you need to figure out when that is and each game is different

You really need to focus on the Mini map map awareness is key that's what brought me to better play level

Figure out how many teammates are with you on your side of the map in be aware of who you're facing on the opposit side

Always know your detection range  I usually work just outside that for the beginning part of the match so if you need to go dark because you're getting focused on you can and reposition yourself

And to tell the truth if you get killed early  Instead a leaving the battle jump on your teammate ships and see how they fly it lot of good info there good luck 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,527 posts
13,808 battles
24 minutes ago, Just_Call_Him_Dave said:

I die far too quickly and im aggressive in every ship im in.

Seems as you already know the problem. That's pretty much my problem too. I am impatient. The Chappy sucks in random battles if you ask me.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,996 posts
4,596 battles

Aside from watching youtubers like iChase that have newb friendly content to help you out, I feel you may need to return for a while to lower tiers, learn a bit better the game before going back to higher tiers. Practicing in Co-op isnt a bad idea either.

The fact that you are aknowledging you have issues with your gameplay already places above many players that think it's all the game's fault. 

I don't want to sound mean, and apologies if I do, but if I saw you in chapayev, then saw your stats in it, I would just regard you as a bunch of xp and damage awaiting me.

Members
614 posts

I have the same survival issue (I recently got up to 13% !), I just don't know when to go back to stealth and let the others take over.  Or, sometimes, I'd rather they be firing at me in my cruiser so the BBs and DDs can do their thing.

Like the others said, definitely stick around in the battles after getting sunk.  Especially if there's a ship on your team that you also have, see how they are playing, go free on the map and see how the enemy team is playing, who you can see and who you can't.  Pensacola can be a deadly ship once you get the hang of kiting with it and landing opportune citadels.

Another thing, try CoOp.  Whenever I get a new ship, I always take it out for battles against bots (or the Training Room now) to get a feel before going against players.  See how it performs, if you forgot any modules or camo, and its much more forgiving.  Plus, can get some XP to get the upgrades without crushing defeats.

[DFNT]
Members
175 posts
3,416 battles

Lord_Zath's youtube videos are helpful. I've started watching his replays, he gives constructive criticism about other people's play. I find it's easier to see other people make the same mistakes I do, especially when I don't even realize i'm making the mistake, and have someone point out the correct thing to do.

I'm glad you started this thread, I'm having a particularly disastrous couple weeks myself and I'm looking for ways to get out of this funk.

[TASH]
Members
5,089 posts
9,533 battles

You need to know which ships can afford to be aggressive and which ships need to be more passive.  It's better to stay alive than die fast.

[RQL]
Privateers
239 posts
10,021 battles

Most of what jumped out at me was mentioned above.  I had the same problem and didn't correct it until later in my career.  Cruisers (which seems to be your main) are tricky to master.  It really comes down to knowing where to be and where not to be. The cruisers you mentioned (Chapy, Pensecola especially) are best played at the edge of their gun ranges, burning stuff to the ground. Rushing in with a cruiser will get you dead in a hurry.  Never show a battleship (or even another cruiser) your side if you can help it. If you really want to learn how to Cruiser,  try the German line,  it taught me a lot of lessons.  

Ping me if you want to talk more. 

Members
38 posts
1,303 battles

Thankyou for all the replies guys. The cruisers i do like to play especially the quick firing ones. 

BBs eh i dunno theyre too slow for me but is fun especially in lyon when you unload all 16 guns to ones broadside.

DDs is hard for me tbh im not a scout.

Ill take all into consideration.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,486 posts
15,379 battles

@Just_Call_Him_Dave how did you get to tier 8 in less than 700 battles? 2. In those less than 700 battles How did you not learn to maximize you ships time in battle?

Once you get in range to shoot do so but don't charge in until the enemy is hurt!

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
2 hours ago, Just_Call_Him_Dave said:

Hi all Dave here...yes i am an avid Jingles fan. Ive watched alot of videos from wows channels. I get the gameplay but... I always seem lost no matter what ship i play in.

I do have some premiums

Graf spee. Leningrad and some others and theyre great but my none premiums i have are as follows.

Tier 8 russian cruiser chapayev

Tier 8 Cleveland which i just sold

Tier 6 pepsicola - personally i think its crap.

Tier 7 french battleship lyon

https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1007170603,Just_Call_Him_Dave/

I need guidance regarding my stats so far. I die far too quickly and im aggressive in every ship im in.

Ok as a beginner try Battleships, they have better armor, heavier guns, and are more friendly to those that are trying to master the game. Unlike most Cruisers, I enjoy cruisers these days, but when I was starting out I just could not really get get them to work for a while. Destroyers are also a fun choice as well.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
627 posts
1,616 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Aside from watching youtubers like iChase that have newb friendly content to help you out, I feel you may need to return for a while to lower tiers, learn a bit better the game before going back to higher tiers. Practicing in Co-op isnt a bad idea either.

The fact that you are aknowledging you have issues with your gameplay already places above many players that think it's all the game's fault. 

I don't want to sound mean, and apologies if I do, but if I saw you in chapayev, then saw your stats in it, I would just regard you as a bunch of xp and damage awaiting me.

I'm finding that the really low tiers...1 thru about 3 or 4, though, have a very different playstyle than anything 5 and above...the shorter range of the guns and the higher maneuverability in those low tiers often leads to more brawling than in the higher tiers where they all hide behind islands or use their concealment ranges to stay out of sight until some poor chap breaks cover and then they all unload on the one ship in the open.  So while lower tiers help with some fundamentals, there is still the learning curve with higher tier gameplay that you just won't get in the lower tiers.

[TX]
Members
369 posts
4,992 battles

well.... someone has to die first, right?

Basically, you need to quit worrying about carrying the team, and just play at your own pace. Doing that alone will increase your survivability rates.
Also, the Priority Target perk combined with Concealment Expert, will save your life.  You see that thing tick upwards, it's time to stop shooting and hide.

Members
38 posts
1,303 battles

@CAPTMUDDXX in my chapayev i remember my best battle i ever played. I played on two brothers and went down the center and hooked behind the rock there In the middle.  It was a very bold move because i had 173k assistive damage and about 90k myself. I only lived about 5 minutes but it was enough to win. How did i get to two tier 8s in less than 700 battles? I loved the quick firing cruisers of us ussr and just kept grinding only to find out theyre both bad at higher tiers.

@ hydra_363i ide n shoot seems like a good idea. Play smarter not harder.

Sign in to follow this