You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DiggerPH

Current Laptop GPU’s . . . Which One?

28 comments in this topic

Members
206 posts
8 battles

Hi All,

I was considering trading in my old iPad Mini for a new iPad Pro. . . . which then morphed into looking at a Microsoft Surface Pro then a  Surface Book 2 . . . . 

Now im looking at a 15 inch laptop as the prices of the above start to get a bit silly. There is also the unknown whether WoWs has hardware compatibility issues playing on a tablet (I would play using a keyboard and mouse though!)

Dell XPS 15 looks great but a tad expensive, and no 1060 iirc. . .

GPU’s I have narrowed down to Nvidia 1050ti and 1060, and hopefully cpu will be an i7 something or other. Screen will be 1080p and definitely not a 4K.

What I would like to know is how WoWs runs with either of those GPU’s and an i7 or even an i5?

Thoughts and opinions from experience welcome. . . 

Edited by DiggerPH

Members
206 posts
8 battles

Also if anyone is managing to play on a current Surface Pro with keyboard and mouse that would be useful to know.

[TBW]
Members
7,521 posts
13,799 battles

If it has an Intel video chip don't buy it. Intel graphics suck.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[INTEL]
Members
1,321 posts
11,194 battles

WOWS isnt graphics intensive.

I've played on 4 systems without any issues.

My primary is an Acer Predator 17 laptop. i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060. I can run 2 monitors, WOWS, Discord, Matchmaking Monitor, and do my taxes without dropping below 65fps, usually in the 95-110 range.

By far the lowest end of the four is the free 10y/o workstation sitting on my desk. i3 dual core and (no joke) GTX 710 2gb, 4 gb of DDR3. When I got this thing literally the only thing I did to it was, clean, add the video card, and use Intel's XTU utility to do a slight overclock and undervolt on the cpu and gpu. It handles WOWS at medium settings on a 24" monitor at over 60fps, lowest frame rate I ever seen was 50ish.. and I was being spammed by every ship in the match when that occured. :fish_panic:

[SYN]
Members
549 posts
2,644 battles

@DiggerPH

I would go with an NVidia GTX 1060 as it is better than the 1050ti. I would also recommend I7 because you can run the game on a high setting. It's not that you can't run the game on the lower options you listed(I5 and 1050ti) but you will tire out your computer if it is put on a higher setting. I run the game on an I7 and a 1060 MSI notebook and it proves great results. Before, I had an I7 and a 1050ti ASUS laptop and the fan constantly was running at high speed. Eventually, the computer gave me a lot of problems.

Edited by Leopard_IX

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
567 posts
14,085 battles

1060 or better especially if you want to ever play anything other than ships.  Keep in mind even though they call them 1060's/1050ti's etc they do not perform as well as their desktop counterparts.

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers
29 posts
3,949 battles

I'm using an old laptop with a i7 3630qm and a GTX675mx and can run everything on high at 1080p with 40-60fps. This game is greatly optimized so really anything recent will be fine. My Brother uses a Dell Inspiron with a GTX1050 with everything on max at 1080p with over 60fps

Edited by Emperornikolas

[INTEL]
Members
1,321 posts
11,194 battles
1 hour ago, DiggerPH said:

4 minutes ago, Leopard_IX said:

@DiggerPH

I had an I7 and a 1050ti ASUS laptop and the fan constantly was running at high speed. Eventually, the computer gave me a lot of problems.

When I made my first post I failed to mention the heat issue.

The graphics chip and CPU isn't nearly as critical as good cooling. WG's code is horrendous for loading a CPU.

I have WOWS open sitting in the ocean port ATM and my CPU utilization is running in the 25-30% range. CPU core temp is jumping between 65 and 73c (149-165f) (the Acer pred I mentioned above) Keep in mind this thing has an installed cooling module that replaces the CD drive.

My ASUS laptop with an i5 and 9xx(dont recall the exact chip atm)  runs a touch hotter.

The i3 desktop I mentioned runs cpu utilization in the 50% range with core temps very stable around 60c.

I've read that WG code only uses two cores. That would account for the fact that an old i3 dual core in a desktop can run cooler than my i7 quad laptop with the same load.

[INTEL]
Members
1,507 posts
10,439 battles

Have a look at the ASUS ZenBook.  Several of them have NVIDIA graphics.

[SIDE]
Members
2,209 posts

I’d rather have an I5 w 1060 than an I7 w 1050ti. I learned this by trial and error and very liberal use of customer satisfaction/product return policies. 

Also the mobile cpu/gpu specs are quite different from the desktop. Nevertheless, my preferred hardware matched with 16gb ram and an SSD have given me never less than 60+ FPS on maxed out settings on a bone stock Dell Inspiron loaded down with all the bloatware. 

Tl/dr 1060

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
8,865 battles

WOWS is about cores.

The more cores the better for using the game and a chat or even if you stream

I built a Ryzen 5th gen 6 core with a Radeon 550 GPU which is very light.

it is on a DIY case with three fans, a overpowered 700watt supply and has a STRIX 350 ASUS board.

I have three 1 TB drives and wows lives on one drive.

everything runs great so far.

CPU use during filming of a wows game and on chat for all is less than 34%

Fans are at 30%, Quiet and smooth

[HOT]
[HOT]
Members
434 posts
11,470 battles

Get a desktop. Laptops aren't meant for gaming and never will be. Razor and such can try but those "gaming" laptops are still trash. They will easily overheat.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,594 posts
13,758 battles

Oh wow, a question i'm intimately familiar with as I play this game on a laptop.. specifically a Lenova T-510

this is a intel i5 (3.2Ghz) with 4GB and uses the intel 2000HD video.  Word of note, playable ..lousy in the bucket frame rate and must be run on lowest video setting but playable. Typically 8 to 12 FPS.  This did improve after upgrading to 8GB ram as video uses system memory on lap tops.  Use your hardware setting and dedicate at least 1 GB if possible to video processing.   I run the game with a second 28" screen using an extended desktop with the main display on the external monitor.  I am typically able to run the game, have Team Speak open, have Discord open, browser open, and a few other odds and ends.

Now I have a second laptop at this time I'm working with over the next couple months. a ASUS which is a somewhat better media machine with a quad core celeron running at 2.7GHz.  The CPU isn't as good, but it has a much better GPU in it. able to handle Open GL 3.3 graphics which means it'll run just about anything out there these day. When it was new it would have been considered a gaming lap top.

You can play this game on surprisingly low end systems but that mostly because the install is really just the front end GUI and game interface.   It's just a client shell. The real guts of the game are over on the server.  You can run the game with intel 2000 HD Graphic, so anything better then that and your golden!

ANd to the not so technical minded out there, you do not upgrade the CPU and GPU on laptops and note books.  All you can do is add more system RAM, and there are few laptop/notebooks that can mount more then 8 GB.. on lap top video the issues is video memory as much anything.  On a 4 Gig system the integrated GPU will reserve 256 to 512K of system RAM automatically.  The best thing a lap top user can do is upgrade the system ram from 4 GB to 8GB and the go into system setting and reserve a 1GB for Video processing.    There may be some specific gaming laptops that have the capability to replace the CPU and GPU, but I wouldn't even consider it unless your so deep pocked that paying $4000 USD is nothing to you.

(and of note: replacement/upgrade CPU/GPU's for those hobbiest laptops are not a simple thing, and stupid expensive.. easily twice what you would pay for the same for a typical desktop box.  DO it wrong and you have a very expensive paper weight for your desk. )

Best of luck sir.  And even on lowest video settings, she still a mighty pretty game.

Warlord sends

Members
206 posts
8 battles
16 minutes ago, MackDye said:

Get a desktop. Laptops aren't meant for gaming and never will be. Razor and such can try but those "gaming" laptops are still trash. They will easily overheat.

I have a decent pc. I’m after something for when travelling, hotels etc.

[SYN]
Members
549 posts
2,644 battles
48 minutes ago, MackDye said:

If you get a high quality laptop, it will run high graphic games very well.

[NUWES]
Members
2,178 posts
6,885 battles
4 hours ago, DiggerPH said:

Also if anyone is managing to play on a current Surface Pro with keyboard and mouse that would be useful to know.

I have  Surface Pro 4, i5-6300u, with the integrated HD 520 graphics chip and 4GB of ram as my travel computer. Even a lower-end Surface Pro 4 like mine will play WoWs surprisingly well without heat issues. (You WILL hear the fan though.)  It isn't massively spry with it (like 30-45fps), but it is quite playable. The system will automatically dial down the graphics but you can see more than well enough to play. The biggest issue for me is the small screen size limits peripheral vision and low storage capacity makes it hard to keep the game in onboard storage and have room for anything else. (I play WoWs off of a Micro SD card in the Surface card slot). Those are bigger issues than how well the Surface handles the graphics. I would not use a Surface Pro for my primary gaming computer though. It is a LOT better at it than you would guess but any laptop with a decent graphics card will easily put it to shame and there are a lot of inexpensive gaming laptops around now. 

The Surface Book 2 has models that come with discrete graphics (the 1050 and 1060 are the two  models it comes with). Either of those will play WoWs very well pretty much on max setting. Both of those are at least as good as the 3-4 year-old midrange graphics card I have in my desktop that I play on regularly and my computer plays it on max settings with no problem. I've also watched a lot of videos of people playing games on the Surface Book 2 to see how well it handles them. You can probably guess that I have been researching the matter in preparation for getting a Surface Book 2 myself. :)

In sum, I would not play the game on a Surface Pro as a regular thing if you have anything with a discrete graphics card, but it will play  WoWs well enough if you need it to. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles
4 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I have  Surface Pro 4, i5-6300u, with the integrated HD 520 graphics chip and 4GB of ram as my travel computer. Even a lower-end Surface Pro 4 like mine will play WoWs surprisingly well without heat issues. (You WILL hear the fan though.)  It isn't massively spry with it (like 30-45fps), but it is quite playable. The system will automatically dial down the graphics but you can see more than well enough to play. The biggest issue for me is the small screen size limits peripheral vision and low storage capacity makes it hard to keep the game in onboard storage and have room for anything else. (I play WoWs off of a Micro SD card in the Surface card slot). Those are bigger issues than how well the Surface handles the graphics. I would not use a Surface Pro for my primary gaming computer though. It is a LOT better at it than you would guess but any laptop with a decent graphics card will easily put it to shame and there are a lot of inexpensive gaming laptops around now. 

The Surface Book 2 has models that come with discrete graphics (the 1050 and 1060 are the two  models it comes with). Either of those will play WoWs very well pretty much on max setting. Both of those are at least as good as the 3-4 year-old midrange graphics card I have in my desktop that I play on regularly and my computer plays it on max settings with no problem. I've also watched a lot of videos of people playing games on the Surface Book 2 to see how well it handles them. You can probably guess that I have been researching the matter in preparation for getting a Surface Book 2 myself. :)

In sum, I would not play the game on a Surface Pro as a regular thing if you have anything with a discrete graphics card, but it will play  WoWs well enough if you need it to. 

It'd be like me playing WoWS on my Surface 3 (it'd probably explode)

[NUWES]
Members
2,178 posts
6,885 battles
10 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

It'd be like me playing WoWS on my Surface 3 (it'd probably explode)

The Surface 3 is a very different beast. It is older and uses an Intel Atom. It is MUCH less powerful than a Surface Pro 4. It probably would explode (or choke and die) if it tried to run WoWs. The minimum spec Surface 4 with an i5 absolutely can run it competently. (I cannot vouch for the m3 processor though.) The form factor is the biggest limit for Surface tablets. It is not a fun experience trying to spot incoming shells in the game sunlight (or a game storm) on a 12" screen. Also, you pretty much have to use some other storage if you have one of the small SSD versions like I have. Fortunately you can play the game off of an external drive or a micro SD card in the slot. The OP absolutely an play WoWs on a Surface Pro 4 in a pinch, but I would invest in a better machine. Either a Surface Book 2 or some other gaming laptop. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,852 posts
7,254 battles

According to this source:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti

The 2 cards you mention should perform relatively very close but in terms of raw stats, 1060 is more powerful. So pick one depending on your other preferences. From past experiences with other rigs WOWS has a severe GPU bottleneck. You can even pass with an i5 or i3 but if your GPU is not up to par then you will struggle in the FPS department. SSDs facilitate faster loading into a match but it won't affect your FPS. With RAM you only really need 6-8 GB if you're just planning on gaming.

For other games such as Stellaris you want a good CPU.

Edited by GoldPile

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles
7 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

The Surface 3 is a very different beast. It is older and uses an Intel Atom. It is MUCH less powerful than a Surface Pro 4. It probably would explode (or choke and die) if it tried to run WoWs. The minimum spec Surface 4 with an i5 absolutely can run it competently. (I cannot vouch for the m3 processor though.) The form factor is the biggest limit for Surface tablets. It is not a fun experience trying to spot incoming shells in the game sunlight (or a game storm) on a 12" screen. Also, you pretty much have to use some other storage if you have one of the small SSD versions like I have. Fortunately you can play the game off of an external drive or a micro SD card in the slot. The OP absolutely an play WoWs on a Surface Pro 4 in a pinch, but I would invest in a better machine. Either a Surface Book 2 or some other gaming laptop. 

I would agree. One thing I found with how I am is that I tend not to play games much if I travel. I used to bring my 15.6" HP Laptop around with me but I never used it (except during school because school). So I got the Surface 3 because I wanted a laptop/tablet that was portable but would allow me to access the full website instead of the mobile version. Android is great but... I already got a phone and getting a tablet would just limit me to the mobile website. The Surface 3 is... a computer so it can do almost any basic thing. I am using it right now.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7687055

Otherwise this is my "gaming" computer. I don't play anything but WoWS so I don't need anything amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/vangm5

Everything is recorded with OBS

Edited by Vangm94

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
9,061 battles
4 hours ago, StingRayOne said:

WOWS is about cores.

The more cores the better for using the game and a chat or even if you stream

I built a Ryzen 5th gen 6 core with a Radeon 550 GPU which is very light.

it is on a DIY case with three fans, a overpowered 700watt supply and has a STRIX 350 ASUS board.

I have three 1 TB drives and wows lives on one drive.

everything runs great so far.

CPU use during filming of a wows game and on chat for all is less than 34%

Fans are at 30%, Quiet and smooth

Totally untrue.

There are very few games on the market which utilize more than one core, and WoWs isn't one of them. Also, more cores don't make a better desktop experience because cores don't control multitasking. That's up to the scheduler of the operating system provided the application is multi-threaded, not AMD's marketing dept which is guilty of spreading junk like this. I run production servers with 64 or more cores and dozens of virtual application servers, and AMD can spread their make believe science all they want. Give me fewer cores with more horsepower anyday, and the same is true on desktops. A two core i3 with high core efficiency will wreak a Ryzen with more cores when it comes to desktop multitasking.

The main reason you can run games on pretty much any modern processor is that per-core performance has slowly improved to the point where pretty much all games are GPU bound anyways. Has nothing to do with RAM speed, more cores, brighter LED fans, or other junk. Consequently there's little demand for faster desktops and why the industry is in decline.

Laptop GPUs have evolved much faster than processors. 9xx series GPU and 1xxx series GPU are only a few years apart, but several orders of magnitude different in terms of performance. 

Sorry, but FPS in the 20's is not playable in my opinion.

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

As of yesterday (Sunday the 5th), Warships runs just as well on a GTX950 with 2MB ram as it does on a 1060 with 6. or a 1080 with 8. This is true on a Phenom 3 720, Intel i5 mid range and a Intel 8700K. No real difference in quality between the three CPU's and the 3 GPU's with WOWS. 

As long as you have the DX10/11/12 options needed for the specific game, almost any card made in the last 4 years will run any game. If you want to save some cash though, wait another few months until the prices on GPU's drop, less people in the ponzi scheme of bitcoin means they keep dropping.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles
4 hours ago, MackDye said:

My razer blade runs just fine, driving dual monitors.  I get over 60 fps, with a GTX 970M with high settings.