Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

The Autograph Thread

19 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,329 posts

We all have one somewhere, from some random famous person or sports hero we'd met somewhere.

Whose signatures have you collected over the years?

Dj5lsCNU0AAN6-X.jpg

My collection:
As seen above, our beloved Dasha
John M. Fabian - NASA Pilot (STS-7, STS-51-G) and CanadArm developer
Chuck Yeager - Aerospace legend, if you don't know him I'll smack you...  (his signature is on my first-flight certificate, earned it when I flew a plane at age 7)
James Doohan - Montgomery Scott, Star Trek (didn't get this one in person, acquired from a comic book store)
Wendee Lee - Voice Actress (Known for such roles as Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Konata from Lucky Star, Blanc in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series and as Haruhi Suzumiya, whose signature armband she signed for me)
Walter Gretzky - Canada's Hockey Dad (Got this one...... on a toilet plunger. Yeah... really.... odd story around that one, we were opening a new public pavilion at my hometown's park and Walt just sort showed up. Signed the plunger, handed it to me and now it's in our town's museum...   o.O  )
The ENTIRE dev team from Ubisoft that made Anno 2205 - A thank you gift from them when I made a bunch of fanart of their game, musta been a quite day.....   xD
Robert Morgan - Pilot of the Memphis Belle (He and I were friends when I was a kid, sent me a crate of stuff he'd signed and we wrote to each other frequently before the internet was a thing. Sadly died before I could ever shake his hand in person though)

• Cool 2

Members
98 posts
8,582 battles

I'm not a big autograph collector, but did ask Nancy Lieberman for hers at a NY Liberty game once (she went to the same college I went to, Old Dominion University, graduating the year before my freshman year [and winning a women's NCAA tournament]; then played, coached and was a broadcaster for WNBA games).

Edited by chrisope

[WOLFG]
Members
4,811 posts
2,726 battles

I have never collected an autograph. 

Just didn't appeal to me.

Edit:  I take that back.

I have a KC Royals leather coat allegedly signed by Johnny Damon.

I say allegedly because I won it in a charity auction run by Tim Grunhard, and he probably forged it.

Credit to DonKarnage2 with his mention of KC Royals.

Edited by DrHolmes52
Old Age Memory
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,125 posts
29,381 battles

Not really care for that at all, but I have gotten two books autographed by the authors: Joe Haldeman and President Bill Clinton.

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Supertester
1,984 posts
9,202 battles

I've got a couple of X-force comics autographed by Tony Daniel and a few other things that I can't think of right now.

B

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,733 posts
14,175 battles

I don't have any famous autographs, but I do have some pictures of myself with some Epica bandmembers:

zwtNswX.jpg

Mark Jansen (Founder, rhythm guitars, growls, lead writer), Simone Simons (Vocals, co-writer), Yves Huts (Bass player, has since left the band and been replaced) and grumpy metalhead cat.

zwjydub.jpg

Simone Simons and grumpy metalhead cat.

For those not familiar with the band:

• Funny 1

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

Mostly sports figures for me.

Jeff Allen - Offensive Lineman, Houston Texas... he gave me his Breast Cancer Awareness Cleats and signed them since I know him personally and he didn't feel like breaking in a new pair of cleats mid-season.
Marcus Allen - Hall of Fame Running Back, Oakland Raiders & Kansas City Chiefs
Greg Hill - Former Kansas City Chiefs Running Back
Anthony Phillips - Former Atlanta Falcons Cornerback, I sent him a card in the mail and he signed it and returned it.
Tony Gonzalez - Former Kansas City Chiefs & Atlanta Falcons Tight End.
Will Shields - Hall of Fame Offensive Lineman for the Kansas City Chiefs.
Shawn Camp - Former Relief Pitcher for the Kansas City Royals, Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Phillies, and Toronto Blue Jays
Ryan Bukvich - Former Relief Pitcher for the Kansas City Royals, Texas Rangers, and Chicago White Sox
John Buck - Former Catcher for the Kansas City Royals, Toronto Blue Jays, Florida Marlins, New York Mets, Seattle Mariners, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Los Angeles Angels
Zack Greinke - Starting Pitcher for the Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Arizona Diamondbacks
Amos Otis - Outfielder for the Kansas City Royals, New York Mets, and Pittsburgh Pirates
Jeff Montgomery - Closing Pitcher for the Kansas City Royals and Cincinnati Reds
Lee Smith - Closing Pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, California Angels, Cincinnati Reds, and Montreal Expos he was also a Kansas City Royal and Houston Astro, though he never played professionally, only in Spring Training and the minors.

Edited by DonKarnage2
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,208 posts

I've never collected an autograph or gone out of my way to meet anyone "famous." I once ate C-Rations with a four-star general. Oh, and a well-known archaeologist once read a paper of mine and contacted me to see if he could sent his assistant to our museum for some training, but I never met him personally. I've also been at dinners with a couple of governors and a senator or two but they didn't impress me much.

My cousin was always running into well-known people. He ran into the Dali Lama and Margaret Thatcher and talked to both of them. My brother also tends to run into interesting people but he's a CEO and has a tenancy to attend meetings where they hang out. He also tends to be in the vicinity for historical events. He was visiting his old college roommate who was working in government and was right across from the Pentagon when the 9/11 attack on it occurred.

It's weird how some people tend to be in places when things happen. A local doctor here was in New York during 9/11 and running the Boston Marathon during the terrorist attacks. He volunteered to help both times.   

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
4,811 posts
2,726 battles
7 hours ago, Lert said:

I don't have any famous autographs, but I do have some pictures of myself with some Epica bandmembers:

zwtNswX.jpg

Mark Jansen (Founder, rhythm guitars, growls, lead writer), Simone Simons (Vocals, co-writer), Yves Huts (Bass player, has since left the band and been replaced) and grumpy metalhead cat.

zwjydub.jpg

Simone Simons and grumpy metalhead cat.

For those not familiar with the band:

I see you've gotten a haircut since then.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,811 posts
2,726 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I've never collected an autograph or gone out of my way to meet anyone "famous." I once ate C-Rations with a four-star general. Oh, and a well-known archaeologist once read a paper of mine and contacted me to see if he could sent his assistant to our museum for some training, but I never met him personally. I've also been at dinners with a couple of governors and a senator or two but they didn't impress me much.

My cousin was always running into well-known people. He ran into the Dali Lama and Margaret Thatcher and talked to both of them. My brother also tends to run into interesting people but he's a CEO and has a tenancy to attend meetings where they hang out. He also tends to be in the vicinity for historical events. He was visiting his old college roommate who was working in government and was right across from the Pentagon when the 9/11 attack on it occurred.

It's weird how some people tend to be in places when things happen. A local doctor here was in New York during 9/11 and running the Boston Marathon during the terrorist attacks. He volunteered to help both times.   

Same here, never met too many famous people.

But I once rode on an elevator with Tiny Tim.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,329 posts
7 hours ago, Lert said:

zwtNswX.jpg

Now that I look at this, you look a bit like Tom Hiddleston Loki but you just walked out of a leather clothing shop and you forgot to take a shower for a couple days    xD

Also, you don't play the drums with your teeth you silly kitty!

[EDIT]:

@Snargfargle

I've never collected an autograph or gone out of my way to meet anyone "famous."

Nor have I, most of the time it just sorta happens.  Once I was at the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo for a course on somethin', was walkin' down the hallway and Stephen Hawking comes around the corner ahead of me with an aide or secretary. I just walk by, wave, and greet him with a "Hey Steve". Put a smile on his face, I've found that people of fame appreciate being treated like normal people more than gods amongst us

• Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles

Tom Clancy showed up at the car dealership parts department where I was working several years ago.  I must have been close to 30 at the time, and he stood there large and looming and struck up an engaging conversation with me.  I don't recall the context any longer but some socio political, some military.  I was so taken by the enjoyment of an obvious intellectual and bit of an eccentric that I didn't put it together until after he left.  He seemed to really enjoy a spontaneous conversation.  There's no mistaking Clancy, no one looks and speaks that way.  One of the last things I do recall him saying was a lament in regard to poor or otherwise declining health, i.e. I was the young man on my way up and he the old man on his way down.  At the end he bid farewell, turned and left smiling.

A few minutes later I turned to my co-worker and said, 'That was Tom Clancy!'.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,329 posts
4 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

And your co-worker said "Who?"     X'D

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

Something to that effect, yes

• Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
8,208 posts
5 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Reminds me of this story:

'Residents of Long Branch, New Jersey called to complain there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously,' said officer Spencer. 'It was an odd request because it was mid-afternoon. But it's an ethnic Latin area and the residents felt he didn't fit in.' A 22-year-old rookie arrived on the scene and demanded identification. The man (who was at the house because it had a "for sale" sign in the yard and he was looking for a place to rent) reasonably assumed she'd recognize his name and that would pretty much be that, but no, she ordered him into the back of her car and took him to his hotel to check his story. At the hotel, a manager of the group the man was touring with went and got his passport as proof of identity. The rookie police officer, still suspicious, then radioed her station and asked her sergeant if he knew who "Bob Dylan" was. 'I'm afraid we all fell about laughing,' said Craig Spencer, a senior officer in Long Branch, New Jersey. 'If it was me, I'd have been demanding his autograph, not his ID. 

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,858 posts
5,338 battles

Have a hat made out to me

"Conrad, stay away from the Van down by the River" - Chris Farley.

My mom's boss sent her to a healthy living center out in California.  one of those, eat right stay healthy type places.  She went with a co-worker but when they got partnered up they split the two of them up and said "you'll meet your partner later".  Low and behold?  Limo pulls up and out steps Chris Farley.  She spent about 2 weeks doing the program and classes with him, entire time he kept ribbing her saying he's just waiting for an autograph request.  My mom's not that type, instead prefers the memories and told him so.  One night he decided they had to "Break out" of the place and took her and her co-worker to Grauman's Chinese Theater. 

While walking down the street he kept telling them, don't make eye contact, don't' accept anything from the hawkers that line the street trying to hand out fliers and things, and just keep walking.  My mom, not being used to this type of hustle, accepted a black "California" ball cap with a teal/blue brim from a guy telling her it was free, but then demanding a $5 "donation" after she had taken it.  Mr. Farley came back yelling "I told you not to take anything" my mom without missing a beat looked at him and retorted "Fine, let me do something else that you told me not to then, sign this hat for my son".  Wish I could have met the guy before his passing.

Edited by vonKaiser

[PSP]
Members
8,208 posts
On 8/6/2018 at 3:02 AM, Chobittsu said:

Whose signatures have you collected over the years?

The ENTIRE dev team from Ubisoft that made Anno 2205 - A thank you gift from them when I made a bunch of fanart of their game, musta been a quite day.....   xD

Oh, I completely forgot. I won a contest as the most popular forumer on their site and got a special edition of the game signed by the entire dev team for a certain RTS franchise. The franchise used to have a good forum community but when official support for the game ended, and the old forum was shut down, it slowly went away. That's when I started looking around for another game to play and discovered WOWS. I'm not talented enough to create anything like fan art but I did help considerably over the years with technical support and general game support.

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,953 posts
4,504 battles

Just some minor league players who I asked to sign their rookie cards

Sign in to follow this