You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kukailimoku

Pensacola or Dallas line

11 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,331 posts
12,175 battles

What about the lines?

Why what?

Members
708 posts
6,171 battles

Pensacola. Though the CL line is fun, it lacks alpha dmg. They excel in team play which requires an actual team and since this is WoWs where the quality of teammates is getting worse and worse, that is their weakness. So with that said, the ability to actually bow tank with Balti, Seattle and Des Moines 27mm plating combined with the USN heavy AP, the boats tend to survive better on their own and are better suited for random play. Go with the CAs for now. (Not saying the CLs arent good. I am currently at Seattle. Ive got decent average dmg in it but a poor WR, the CLs have no carry potential regardless of being decent boats or being fun to play.)

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
2 hours ago, smf117 said:

Pensacola. Though the CL line is fun, it lacks alpha dmg. They excel in team play which requires an actual team and since this is WoWs where the quality of teammates is getting worse and worse, that is their weakness. So with that said, the ability to actually bow tank with Balti, Seattle and Des Moines 27mm plating combined with the USN heavy AP, the boats tend to survive better on their own and are better suited for random play. Go with the CAs for now. (Not saying the CLs arent good. I am currently at Seattle. Ive got decent average dmg in it but a poor WR, the CLs have no carry potential regardless of being decent boats or being fun to play.)

There are exeptions to the norm to. I fpr some reason do well in my cleveland for some reason as far as win rate goes, 61 percent as of last night. 

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

Depends on your play style. Both Worcester and Des Moines I've heard are good ships (though I personally have no desire to play Tier 10 for now), but it's generally accepted the USN light cruisers have a more specialized, situational, and a higher skill ceiling style of play than the CAs. They rely a lot on island cover, and generally aren't optimized for open water fighting unless there's plenty of support from allies and they are in a good kiting position, at a distance where they can still hit targets reliably with their very low velocity guns (that also gives them an advantage in shooting over islands) but where they can dodge return fire relatively well. I often fail to do this in the Helena. They're very fun, and if left unchecked, can rack up lots of damage. IFHE is pretty much required because without it you'll get lots of shatters. IFHE+Demolition Expert means you won't take a great penalty to fire chance, and with their RoF you'll be setting plenty of fires. For the light cruisers, the mid-tier gem is the Helena. 15 guns like 155mm Mogami is a lot of fun and she's deadly when getting close. She has less HP, less AA, and slightly worse maneuverability than Cleveland at Tier 6, but overall she's a good ship and even if you decide to not go further down the line the Helena is worth it IMO. The Cleveland belongs at Tier 7, but being forced into Tier 8 she really suffers because of the MM and the fact that it's very difficult for her to out-fight a higher tier CA or even some destroyers. She's a good ship hampered by the high tier meta. Ever since she's been Tier 8 I don't play her anymore.

The heavy cruisers have a more conventional play style. Their AP have the best autobounce angles among 8" AP, meaning they'll penetrate, perhaps even citadel cruisers at steeper angles than the 8" cruiser AP of other nations. You should prioritize killing enemy cruisers that give you their side, and just focus on dealing damage to everything else. Take shots at destroyers, harass battleships with fires (don't be afraid to switch to AP when they're close enough and showing broadside, maybe at around the 10km mark), and at high tiers, since you get radar, support your allies by lighting up enemy ships.

Overall, USN cruisers are ships that put out supporting fire and with their vast array of consumables, support the team. They may be less of a carrying line compared to say the German or Japanese, but they're effective in the right hands.

I'd say you could go down both lines and see which one you prefer. Light cruisers rely less on alpha strike potential, meaning that the longer they stay alive, the more potential they have. If enemy flanks you and your team collapses around you, and you have nowhere to run, you're dead meat. Heavy cruisers have a higher alpha damage potential due to the AP, and the Des Moines, with its high shell velocity, relies on islands as well.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles

The CA line is a little bit easier I think.  The CL line is imo, better.

[WOLFB]
Members
598 posts
On 8/6/2018 at 1:08 AM, kukailimoku said:

Pensacola or Dallas line?

Why?

Depends on your play style. For CAs I prefer the USN line. For CLs I prefer the RN because of the smoke options and pretty decent torpedos. But with the American heavies you can damage just about anything that comes along if you're in the right situation. You get a fair amount of flexibility with the heavies too. With the USN CL line you're often just left with HE spam as your primary play option.

Members
68 posts
5,269 battles

Run the CL line until T7.  Then take CA line to T8.  I love the Helena. It is a great T7 ship IMO.  Deleting DDs, lighting fires it is much fun.  I have both lines through T8 .  I really like the Baltimore more than I like the Cleveland.   Baltimore's AP is great and it can Bow tank anything less than 406.