You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

18 comments in this topic

[RNDM]
Members
280 posts
4,771 battles

So I had played several games with defensive AA equipped on my Gearing when I decided to switch to engine boost because I was not seeing any CVs and I wanted to be able to run away from radar and catch other ships if I needed to. The first game I get a two CV game where I get perma spotted and swarmed by planes. In the end I was Auto drop torped in smoke after trying to dodge all the enemy dive bombers and torps, getting my engine killed twice, and not to mention the ever present hail of enemy shells from 6 reds. If one were to look at my stats, they would see that the most planes I have shot down in my Gearing is 7. That was this game. I would like to say I lasted longer than I should have but I still didn't last very long. My question is, should I equip defensive AA knowing that I normally run DDs with AA off and that it is only useful when facing planes or should I equip engine boost so I can improve my positioning while being more vulnerable to airstrikes?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,973 posts
10,955 battles

Guess it's personal preference. I'd stick with speed boost, it's always useful. Just change your play style when there's a CV on the map, and don't get as far away from your cruisers as you would otherwise. That way if the CV brings has aircraft after you, you can run into the AA range of your supporting cruisers before the planes drop on you.

[DBM]
Members
395 posts
5,312 battles

In Coop and Random, Speed boost is more important than defensive AA.  CVs have become a bit of an endangered species these days.

In Ranked and Scenario battles, it is a different story.  A strong AA destroyer can be a real asset and tends to take the opposing team off guard.

Clan battles don't have CVs, but an AA dd is great for swatting those pesky spotter planes out of the sky.  Talk to your clan ahead of time and make a plan.

Edited by AMajor

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,762 posts
10,986 battles
24 minutes ago, AMajor said:

In Coop and Random, Speed boost is more important than defensive AA.  CVs have become a bit of an endangered species these days.

In Ranked and Scenario battles, it is a different story.  A strong AA destroyer can be a real asset and tends to take the opposing team off guard.

Clan battles don't have CVs, but an AA dd is great for swatting those pesky spotter planes out of the sky.  Talk to your clan ahead of time and make a plan.

This but once the CV rework hits they may be more common making AA a better choice. However, remember that AA is getting reworked along with the CV's.

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Since the annoucement of the new Ranked season I have noticed far more CVs in Randoms at all tiers. I guess it would depend on what you feel more threatened by. A bunch of radar or planes, since you can see radar even with planes. I don't think there is an easy answer here. 

[WLDD]
Supertester
210 posts
5,970 battles

I like to run Def AA on my Gearing. True, there are not many CV's, though they are becoming more common, when I do have games where there is a CV I actually have a chance against drops. Also as a note, I do try to mind my distance to known radar cruiser haunts and from them when they're spotted, but it is personal preference, Def AA vs Speed boost.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,188 posts
14,844 battles
2 hours ago, Florendo19 said:

So I had played several games with defensive AA equipped on my Gearing when I decided to switch to engine boost because I was not seeing any CVs and I wanted to be able to run away from radar and catch other ships if I needed to. The first game I get a two CV game where I get perma spotted and swarmed by planes. In the end I was Auto drop torped in smoke after trying to dodge all the enemy dive bombers and torps, getting my engine killed twice, and not to mention the ever present hail of enemy shells from 6 reds. If one were to look at my stats, they would see that the most planes I have shot down in my Gearing is 7. That was this game. I would like to say I lasted longer than I should have but I still didn't last very long. My question is, should I equip defensive AA knowing that I normally run DDs with AA off and that it is only useful when facing planes or should I equip engine boost so I can improve my positioning while being more vulnerable to airstrikes?

If you have planes over you, you're spotted 

If you shoot at planes, you're spotted 

If you sit in smoke, you're probably gonna die

Speed Boost ALWAYS

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,741 posts
18,118 battles

Is AA for your DD worth it?

Depends.  AA builds, just like BB Secondary builds, are heavy investments.

You can say CVs are rare, and I will agree that the Tier IX-X CVs are rare.  But the Tier VIII and below ones are seen commonly enough.  If CVs were truly rare in general, then we wouldn't be having these Anti-CV threads around on the boards.  How much is your DD seeing of these CVs in your MM tier bracket?

As someone that has dabbled a bit with DDs, I kind of feel your dilemma.  But here's some thoughts as someone that has played a little of CVs and lots of Cruisers, especially USN Radar / AA Cruisers that triy to support friendly DDs.

1.  If I'm playing a CV, my main goal is to attack, spot, harass, destroy enemy Destroyers.  Even if I screw up my bombing runs on a DD, I keep them lit, I keep their torpedoes lit, and my team will have immediate or very recent information about enemy DD activities.  I'm not even what I call a good CV driver, much less a Unicum CV driver, but even I understand that I will do everything in my power to mitigate enemy DD efforts.  Really, especially at the start of the match, I got nothing else better to do.  Enemy teams are bunched up at the start, so trying a bombing run against group up players, especially with high tier AA, the aircraft losses are too high.  So the only feasible CV targets at the start of the match are honestly DDs.

2.  As a USN Cruiser player, especially Radar & AA oriented ones, I try to back up my DDs whenever I can.  Tools like stealthy Cleveland, Worcester (with her super long range AA especially) make this job easier.  However, especially if I'm Solo Queuing in Randoms, this can get very hard for me to get close enough to cover you with AA.  First and fore most, not all maps have islands nearby for me to creep up and cover friendly DDs with AA and Radar support at the caps or a contested area.  Okinawa is a rather infamous example.  Compounding this problem, the vast majority of stranger DDs will not drop smoke even for a Radar / AA Cruiser trying to keep close and support you guys.  I'd like to creep up and help, but some maps this is suicide for me if I don't get cover.  So I will err towards caution and not be as close as I'd like to back you guys up, because if I get spotted in open water trying to support the cap effort, I'll get deleted by everyone.  So keep that in mind.  There's times guys like me simply can't get close to back your DD(s) for Radar / AA support.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PLPT]
Members
939 posts
8,385 battles

Even without CV’s it’s always great to be able to knock out a spotter plane when you need to go undetected. With CV’s it’s a no-brainer. Having DF gives you the option to flank or get into other “solo positions” without cruiser backup.

The only argument for speed boost, IMHO, is if you have trouble dodging shots as you flee from radar...

[HUNGS]
Members
1,661 posts
3,603 battles

The only DD I put that on is the Nicholas because CVs are so much more common and nothing is more annoying than a CV parking its fighters over you, although I miss the salt fest because I shot down all its fighters and a "dd can't do that, your a hacker"

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles

I'm still trying to figure out how OP had 2 CVs in his game with the Gearing, as they nerfed the # of carriers in higher tier games to 1 CV per team like, 2 years ago?

[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,650 battles

IMO the only time to use Speed Boost over AA on Gearing is in Clan Wars. In fact not long ago Flamu did a long rant about how only nubs will be seen with a speed boost gearing in Random. Even if you don't get a CV game, instantly deleting Scouts and launched Fighters is IMO much more relevant than adding on 2% speed or whatever it is.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,188 posts
14,844 battles
23 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

IMO the only time to use Speed Boost over AA on Gearing is in Clan Wars. In fact not long ago Flamu did a long rant about how only nubs will be seen with a speed boost gearing in Random. Even if you don't get a CV game, instantly deleting Scouts and launched Fighters is IMO much more relevant than adding on 2% speed or whatever it is.

Dunno what gearing is, but on IJN It's 8% for 2 minutes (3 Minutes with engine boost mod 1)

If you add sierra mike for base +5%, that's an even greater gain vs the previous 8%

When engaging/disengaging in a DD you're essentially speed tanking if you get spotted,cornered or chased down

Are you really going to stick with the AA choice?

[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,650 battles
Just now, Commander_367 said:

Dunno what gearing is, but on IJN It's 8% for 2 minutes (3 Minutes with engine boost mod 1)

If you add sierra mike for base +5%, that's an even greater gain vs the previous 8%

When engaging/disengaging in a DD you're essentially speed tanking if you get spotted,cornered or chased down

Are you really going to stick with the AA choice?

Absolutely. Gearing isn't the kind of boat that you should need speed boost in. If you're in a situation where you need speed boost to save you...you already misplayed. I have heard more than 1 Unicum like Flamu, Flambass, Business6, Mejash talk about the Gearing set up. The general consensus (not very PC but it was what it was) is only noobs go Speed Boost Gearing.....EXCEPT in Clan Wars where CVs are not allowed. 

[WOLF2]
Members
3,188 posts
14,844 battles
13 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

Absolutely. Gearing isn't the kind of boat that you should need speed boost in. If you're in a situation where you need speed boost to save you...you already misplayed. I have heard more than 1 Unicum like Flamu, Flambass, Business6, Mejash talk about the Gearing set up. The general consensus (not very PC but it was what it was) is only noobs go Speed Boost Gearing.....EXCEPT in Clan Wars where CVs are not allowed. 

Respectfully disagree, for most DDs speed boost is extremely useful for a variety of tasks - how many planes can you shoot down before you die vs avoiding them in the first place if you have the speed?

At least now you know the numbers 

Edited by Commander_367

[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,650 battles
30 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Respectfully disagree, for most DDs speed boost is extremely useful for a variety of tasks - how many planes can you shoot down before you die vs avoiding them in the first place if you have the speed?

At least now you know the numbers 

I know the numbers....Go to 13:08 and listen to what the best player in the Game has to say about Gearing. 

[WOLF2]
Members
3,188 posts
14,844 battles
49 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

I know the numbers....Go to 13:08 and listen to what the best player in the Game has to say about Gearing. 

Like I said, I don't play gearing, nevertheless there must be an argument for both sides since there are different playstyles and WG offers a choice

1 hour ago, CyberKnife said:

launched Fighters is IMO much more relevant than adding on 2% speed or whatever it is.

Numbers do matter and if it is your opinion you shouldn't need to reference the opinion of others to back it up.

I'll watch videos if I ever play the gearing thx

Edited by Commander_367