You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Useless info..Batten down the hatches!

14 comments in this topic

Members
4,724 posts
8,089 battles

Bored today. Never knew where that term came from so I checked.  Battens were strips of wood used to hold down canvas tarps that were placed over the open grates on the top decks of the old sailing ships in bad weather to keep out the water. They were usually nailed down to the deck. There.  Now you know. Sooooo "batten down the hatches boys" and good luck in the next storm. This was very educational. :Smile_smile:

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 4

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
14 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Bored today. Never knew where that term came from so I checked.  Battens were strips of wood used to hold down canvas tarps that were placed over the open grates on the top decks of the old sailing ships in bad weather to keep out the water. They were usually nailed down to the deck. There.  Now you know. Sooooo "batten down the hatches boys" and good luck in the next storm. This was very educational. :Smile_smile:

Served in the USN and had never heard it explained before. Makes sense though.

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles

Hard to starboard/port, etc used to mean exactly the opposite direction prior to 1930 something.  The old "Port your rudder", vis hard to port meant turn hard right, as in doing so you effectively put the tiller to port, turning the rudder to starboard.  Took me years to figure that one out.  Finally was explained to me by MacKenzie Gregory.

Members
4,724 posts
8,089 battles
1 minute ago, neptunes_wrath said:

Etymologically, the term KNOT derives from counting the number of knots in the line that unspooled from the reel of a chip log in a specific time.

How about FATHOM and LEAGUE? Where? Origin. Etc.

[WFR]
Members
433 posts

Thanks man I never thought to actually look that up. You never quite know when some info will be useful.

I had such trouble with 'port' and 'starboard' i had to look up starboard to see where it came from. now I traced the word lineage from larsmen > right handed rower > larboard > (some unknown type of evolution here) > starboard.

for whatever reason i could never remember if port was the left or the right. after making a small study it's clear as day now.

Members
2,071 posts
509 battles
6 minutes ago, SinisterSe7en said:

Thanks man I never thought to actually look that up. You never quite know when some info will be useful.

I had such trouble with 'port' and 'starboard' i had to look up starboard to see where it came from. now I traced the word lineage from larsmen > right handed rower > larboard > (some unknown type of evolution here) > starboard.

for whatever reason i could never remember if port was the left or the right. after making a small study it's clear as day now.

front bow, back stern, don't get it right squirt I'll throw your  [edited]  out the little hole in the side.

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Funny 1

Members
4,724 posts
8,089 battles
2 minutes ago, SinisterSe7en said:

When I started this game I had same issue. Torpedoes to port!  And I would look right. WHERE are they? Then DELETED! Blam. 

• Cool 1