Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avrien

Montana loadout?!

17 comments in this topic

Members
90 posts
1,491 battles

I'm working on my montana load out for when I finally get past my NC and Iowa. 8)

I was looking at the mods. My first instinct was to get the dispersion mod. But then I noticed something. Main battery modification 2 and 3 would gain a net gain to fire rate and turn rate. My biggest hatred of the NC and battleships in general is the turn rate and max turn knocking my gun off center and stopping me from fireing. So would that combo be good as it increases fire rate and turn rate of guns?

Main Battery Bodification 2:

Main Battery Traverse Speed: +15%(faster)

Main Batter Loading time: +5%(slower)

Main Battery Modification 3:

Main Battery Traverse Speed: -13%(slower)

Main Batter loading time: -12%(faster)

That is a net gain of:

Main Battery Traverse Speed: -2%(faster)

Main Batter Fire Rate: -7%(faster)

This could combine with the small bonus to turn rate from captain skills(.7%) also if it's needed. Does anyone know how much that is compared to the ships turn rate and other things in practice?

There is also main plotting room 1 and 2 that I think the designers meant to work together. It give extra dispersion to go with the extra range it gives.

So, is it good to stick with similar bonuses?

Edited by Avrien

[HINON]
Supertester
20,705 posts
14,131 battles

MBM2 is a waste of a slot. It slows your ROF, and turret traverse is fast enough on Montana. Maximize DPM with MBM3 and use ASM1 in the third slot instead. If you're in a situation where you really truly just have to turn your turrets faster you've already misplayed.

• Cool 1

Members
90 posts
1,491 battles

That is why I was thinking of Combining MBM2+3. This gives a net bonus to turn and fire rate.

That is a net gain of:

Main Battery Traverse Speed: -2.7%(faster)(+.7%EM)

Main Batter Fire Rate: -7%(faster)

I was thinking this setup.

Mod slot:

1. ? (What is good for slot 1?)

2. Damage Control System 1

3. Main Battery Modification 2

4. Damage Control System 2

5. Concealment system

6  Main Battery Modification 3

Captain skills:

Preventive Maintenance(1), Adrenaline rush(2), Expert marksman(2), Superintendent(3), Basic Survivability(3), Concealment(4), Fire Prevention(4). (19)

I like to line up my shots and then fire and turn away. This allows shots that are fired in the same alignment as the ship. I'm assuming this gets more shots on target.I like to be able to turn away afterword to increase deflection. Some times I get a second shot while fireing or like to keep turning for a quick shot while evading. Sometimes from torps or long range shells. Does the Montana not have the same problem with the guns floating off center at full turn? I also like to fire while I'm turning to evade shots. So I don't want to slow down my turn to fire.

Does magazine detonation reduction stop all citadel hits or only those rare hits that get under your main guns?

Edited by Avrien

[HINON]
Members
10,770 posts
12 minutes ago, Avrien said:

Does magazine detonation reduction stop all citadel hits or only those rare hits that get under your main guns?

Magazine detonation reduction module just reduces the chance to detonate. You'll still receive citadel hits if a shell explodes in the citadel.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,705 posts
14,131 battles

I'm still personally strongly against including MBM2 in any build and would still recommend going with ASM1 for that slot instead. There will always be times when you wish you had your guns reloaded just that bit faster.

For slot 1, MAM1 is a good pick.

Finally, magazine det modules don't have any effect on taking cits. They affect how much chance you have of detonating when your magazines get hit. Those two things are separate entirely. You can get detonated without having your cit hit and you can get cit'd without getting your mag hit.

[STP]
Members
339 posts
10,000 battles

@Avrin, I tested your build for Montana on this site (https://wowsft.com/WarshipStats?nation=usa&shipType=Battleship&ship=Montana), Monty gets 27.72s of reload and 38.28s of rotation/180º (remembering that Stock is: 30s and 45s respectively). in my opinion, Montana does not need that high tower traverse...

EDIT: the MBM3 tower traverse penalty minimizes the effect of MBM2 (practically cancels), using these updates without Expert Marksman does not work (rotation/180°: 44.98s).

Edited by xavier_556

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,380 posts
3,052 battles

Why would you get 2 upgrades that basically cancel each other out? Just pick one and go with it.

Hint: it's the reload mod

[WOLF3]
Members
19,720 posts
18,080 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

I'm still personally strongly against including MBM2 in any build and would still recommend going with ASM1 for that slot instead. There will always be times when you wish you had your guns reloaded just that bit faster.

Montana cannot use ASM1, no USN BB in the game has access to ASM1.  The only Main Battery dispersion buffing USN BBs get are with Tier IX-X USN BBs with APRM2 (11% dispersion reduction).

====

I also agree that getting both MBM2 & 3 is a waste as they offset each other's benefits.

====

Personally I went with an AA Montana.

PT

EM & AR

BFT & SI

AFT & CE

Upgrades:  MAM1 / DCSM1 / AAGM2 / DCSM2 / CSM1 / APRM2

IMO it's a good balance of AA, concealment, main battery accuracy.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,705 posts
14,131 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Montana cannot use ASM1, no USN BB in the game has access to ASM1.

Right, fair enough.

I still wouldn't put MBM2 on, though.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,720 posts
18,080 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Right, fair enough.

I still wouldn't put MBM2 on, though.

A lot of people forget that tidbit about USN BBs :Smile_Default:

Even when Yamato had the worse turret traverse of 72 or so seconds, even with the equally slow RN BB turret traverse at Tier VI and below, I never slotted MBM2.  Even on DDs with slow turret traverse (relative for the type), I don't slot MBM2.

[UN1]
Members
565 posts
2,065 battles

Given that the Montana has the best alpha strike potential of all the T10 BB's, it really doesn't make sense to slot it with anything but APRM2. 

Members
90 posts
1,491 battles

What is better? Fire Prevention or Jack of all trades + High Alert. If you had to choose between them.

I could go the other extreme: http://bit.ly/2LUd8aR

Mod slot:

1. Damage Control Party Modification 1

2. Damage Control System 1

3. Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1

4. Damage Control System 2

5. Concealment system

6  Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1

Captain skills:

Preventive Maintenance(1), Jack of all Trades(2), High Alert (2), Superintendent(3), Basic Survivability(3), Concealment(4), Fire Prevention(4). (19)

This gets full protection and doesn't try to focus on fire rate or turn rate.

Extreme reload might be fun though. It would make shorter range stuff more fun. http://bit.ly/2KvOK9L

It can get all the way down to 21-22 shots.

BTW, does the montana get Damage control Party Mod 1? It shows up on that website but not on the actual ships like the NC?!

Edit: And of course the build everyone hates. It's the key! ;d http://bit.ly/2nj688O <-I'm assuming this should go on my cleveland.

Edit2: The linked website for ship builds shows that APRM1 actually increases dispersion. Is this correct. It looks like it should decrease it. Or does it increase dispersion with range? I don't see dispersion listed in game anywhere. Is there a way to see it's value? Found it. I'm using APRM1 on my NC and didn't realise it could potentially make my shots hit wider... I've been using it since I got the NC. Maybe this is why I get less DPS than others. Although I am kind of getting used to it. Are things like Enhanced Damage Control System and Damage Control Party Modification 1 not in the game? I don't see them for the NC or the Montana. I see the problem. I'm on linux and the arsenal doesn't work atm. 8) Well fun time with that then.

I didn't see that APRM1 increased Dispersion. That makes build layouts make a lot more sense.

Actually, looking at the stats again, I may go with this: http://bit.ly/2OgRbPS

Assuming I can get the arsenal to work to buy those nice modifications... I only loose 1km from stealth from dropping conceilment as I have two other sources of stealth. But I gain massive rudder. And the double layering of those main battery mods don't reduce that much. It only looses 1 second from the load time and the combo of expert marksman adds a nice rotation buff. Plus I'm used to 330 dispersion on my NC, so it might not be a big deal. It's a bonus to what I use now regardless. If I can float on lower hp that is a bonus of 50% damage. And I'm already gaining 30m dispersion from my current ship. It's just using default numbers.

Just ditched my ARPM1 for MBM1. And it is way easier to get citadels. I've been doing it the hard way the entire time. Not sure if I need better dispersion or the increase fire speed is better. Which ships would go best with the MBM1+MBM2. There have to be some that are ideal for it. It's decent increase in both with adrenaline rush and Expert marksman.

Then again. Maybe I'll go with accuracy. This is a tough decision. They should move MBM3 and APRM2 from the same slot so we can choose both. Or change mods to allow us to put what is now 4-6 in any of the last 2-3 slots. And the same for the starter slots. Anything from 1-3 can go in the first 3 slots. It would give more build diversity.

Edited by Avrien

[STP]
Members
339 posts
10,000 battles
16 hours ago, Avrien said:

What is better? Fire Prevention or Jack of all trades + High Alert. If you had to choose between them.

Fire Prevention; JofAT can be easily replaced with November Foxtrot flag (this allows you to invest these 2pts in something more useful/priority)
a friend advice to you, making mistakes in upgrade choices is easier to remedy than in captain skills. secondary builds in the T10 are very situational, and considering that the Montana has a maximum range of the secondary guns of 9,1km (with all the modifiers), I do not recommend a secondary builds for the Monty (and the same applies to that of Cleveland)...
the captain build you sent on the second link is good and solid, I do not think you'll have problems with it: PM, EM, AR, SI, BofS, CE and FP

16 hours ago, Avrien said:

I'm using a very traditional build of my Iowa (yes, I bought the ship a little while ago and I'm still grinding it), but that fits very well in my style of play. I'll probably use the same one in Montana... http://bit.ly/2LYksS

EDIT: take advantage of the PT to test your builds and draw your own conclusions...

Edited by xavier_556

Members
90 posts
1,491 battles

So, what is the consensus on Concealment system modification 1 vs Enhanced Damage Control System? That rudder vs 1.4 cloak is kind of interesting.

Also, my damage per match has literally doubled since removing APRM1. I thought it was reducing the dispersion the entire time...

Edit: Me Knows! I will stick max fire speed setup on the fastest firing ship in the game.. 8o http://bit.ly/2M4yu5z <-Easily switched between torpedo and gun speed.

Edited by Avrien

Members
217 posts
8,577 battles

For many months, I have recommended Montana captains use The Artist Formerly Known As Steven Segal, but with the addition of Admiral Halsey, any USN BB main has a better option available. The MT excels when it comes to grabbing "Confederate" achievements. The 12 shell broadside makes extracting 20% of a DD's HP a relatively easy chore provided the target isn't more than 8km or so away, and a single citadel on all but the heaviest cruisers will do the trick. 

As per the special upgrade, forget about it. Concealment is everything. 

• Cool 1

Members
90 posts
1,491 battles

I was not aware of the hasley captain or unique captains. I'll have to try him out. And it's gonna be hard to get double strike with a BB. I guess I'll have to pick targets carefully and focus on final blows. 8)

20 seconds minimum:

http://bit.ly/2MfeixX

16seconds minimum:

http://bit.ly/2KNo3gU

Is double the fire of other battleship worth it over the extra accuracy?

Edited by Avrien

Sign in to follow this