You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Enigma2020

Progress stalled using New York BB

18 comments in this topic

[BERYL]
Members
13 posts
2,119 battles

I can't seem to make any significant progress once I acquired and started playing the New York. It's sluggish and not much firepower for its tier. Any suggestions? Is the New Mexico any better?

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
12 minutes ago, Enigma2020 said:

I can't seem to make any significant progress once I acquired and started playing the New York. It's sluggish and not much firepower for its tier. Any suggestions? Is the New Mexico any better?

back in beta new mexico was a good BB better then new york

[BERYL]
Members
13 posts
2,119 battles
1 minute ago, iamplaya said:

back in beta new mexico was a good BB better then new york

Any suggestions on improving skills with New York? I made the mistake of not increasing my traverse speed in upgrades. Can't get enough coinage built up to modify it.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
1 minute ago, Enigma2020 said:

Any suggestions on improving skills with New York? I made the mistake of not increasing my traverse speed in upgrades. Can't get enough coinage built up to modify it.

new york is just a ship you should fly by really

i recommend not wasting xp n credits on ship till u hit tier8 thats where it starts to matter

the lower tier ship you wont play very long so if you ask me better to just grind tru them

[BERYL]
Members
13 posts
2,119 battles
1 minute ago, iamplaya said:

i recommend not wasting xp n credits on ship till u hit tier8 thats where it starts to matter

the lower tier ship you wont play very long so if you ask me better to just grind tru them

Ok, thank you.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
4 minutes ago, Enigma2020 said:

like dont get all upgrades for them just a waste of ressources really

[SUCIT]
[SUCIT]
Members
62 posts
19,828 battles

The NY is a bit of a turd at t5 but for capt skills I'd go with pt, em, si, ce, ar, fp, and bos in that order. The only saving grace for the NY is her gun size that can easily over match many crusiers at her own tier. NM is pretty fun and the buffed colorado is a bit better than before in comparison to the other t7 bbs. The line really starts to shine at t8 with the NC and above.

[RKLES]
Members
8,972 posts
10,828 battles
43 minutes ago, Enigma2020 said:

Yes New Mexico will be better, and New York is not all that bad with some practice.. What Captain skills are you using?

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
1 hour ago, iamplaya said:

A lot will depend on your circumstances OP,  but this is just bad advice for most new players.

-As a new player, rushing up the tiers and skipping modules on ships is a bad idea. There is a lot to learn in this game if you want to be good, and mid-tiers(5-7) are a good place to do this and there are many popular ships even with veteran players. I have 7k + games and still play ships in this range all the time.

- if you skip modules and upgrades on ships your performance will suffer when playing them and you will have no idea what the final version of that ship will play like. Many great ships suck when in stock configuration. How will you know if they are any good if you never upgrade?

-Mid-tier ships are also your moneymakers in this game, particularly if you aren't paying for premium time. Most new players will lose credits playing high tier ships. Mid-tiers(say 5-8) are your consistent and reliable way to make credits without premium time.

--To repeat, rushing into high tiers is a recipe for failure for most new players.

-In regards to the NY in particular, I've never played it (and tbh it's not particularly fearsome to face) but at the very least it will help you learn USN BB playstyle (as you learn the game) and some people do have success with it and enjoy it.

TLDR: Mid-tier ships is where you should be focusing your attention as you learn the game, and remain popular even with veteran players. Don't listen to this guy.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 2

Members
943 posts
8,423 battles

I concur with the doctor that it’s best to get good at lower/mid tiers before rushing up a line. The New York does suffer from power creep, but if you can get decent in it, you will have learned a lot.

Myogi was the same for me. It was really frustrating, until one epic game when I was able to use her strengths and minimize her weaknesses, and I was hooked on WoWS.

I’m not a BB main but here’s some tips for NY:

• Slow ships can’t disengage or redeploy across the map, so it’s best to keep NY in the middle, not on the flanks.  Also move forward cautiously because you are never getting out of a situation you push into.  If you push forward, make sure you can clear out any reds, because turning around to kite is not an option.  Medium range, 10-12k is good. Also stay “with the pack.”  You aren’t dodging torps and need cruisers nearby.
  • Use your armor.  It’s tempting to go broadside to get shots off, but keep your bow angled toward other BB’s. NY can tank a lot of damage, especially at T5 where rookies will fire AP at your bow.  The NY’s bad firing arcs really tempt you into going broadside.  Don’t...
  • Unless it’s a cruiser! Even the worst BB at a tier eats cruisers for breakfast. Here it’s ok—even encouraged—to use your big broadside. This is another case of “using” your armor because CA’s can’t citadel you.

Most of that advice is true for all BB play, but NY’s sluggishness and bad firing arcs really force you to learn discipline in positioning / angling.  I actually use 1/4 and 1/2 speed a lot, and reverse, because I’m “pivoting” rather than rushing anywhere.

[SP3AR]
Supertester
214 posts
5,774 battles

Some tips from me for the new york specifically:

1: angle your armour. If you dont know how, I tend to attempt to make sure my bow is about 30 degrees to one direction from the center of the enemy ship. 

2: just because you jave 5 turrets, doesnt mean you should use all of them! The 3 and 4 turrets especially apply to this. Dont go broadside, just to fire the extra 2 guns unless you know you can angle back in time. 

3: Dont be afraid to get close. The american battleships were the OG brawling BB and can get close and punish lots of ships by doing so (just try to shy away from the german and french battleships if you do this).

Good luck in your endeavors! If you survive and make it to the new mexico, you will be very pleased. It is an excellent battleship (though i may be biased as it is my favorite and most played battleship ;) )

Members
943 posts
8,423 battles
3 minutes ago, EpicLeveler said:

Some tips from me for the new york specifically:

1: angle your armour. If you dont know how, I tend to attempt to make sure my bow is about 30 degrees to one direction from the center of the enemy ship. 

2: just because you jave 5 turrets, doesnt mean you should use all of them! The 3 and 4 turrets especially apply to this. Dont go broadside, just to fire the extra 2 guns unless you know you can angle back in time. 

3: Dont be afraid to get close. The american battleships were the OG brawling BB and can get close and punish lots of ships by doing so (just try to shy away from the german and french battleships if you do this).

Good luck in your endeavors! If you survive and make it to the new mexico, you will be very pleased. It is an excellent battleship (though i may be biased as it is my favorite and most played battleship ;) )

LOL we both gave very similar advice at the same time.  I can agree with #3 with the caveat that since you can’t run away, make sure you’re going to win any brawl you start.

[SP3AR]
Supertester
214 posts
5,774 battles
25 minutes ago, n00bot said:

LOL we both gave very similar advice at the same time.  I can agree with #3 with the caveat that since you can’t run away, make sure you’re going to win any brawl you start.

Yea lol, midway through typing my response it said that you had made a comment, but didnt display it lol

Members
151 posts
8,545 battles

See some great advice, regarding taking it slow, and learning the mechanics.

One thing I’d like to add; don’t point your bow directly at a T6 or higher BB; or you will get a painful lesson in overmatch mechanics.

Good luck, Captain!

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
9,061 battles

Most New York drivers get reckd because they only drive in straight lines and get isolated. You have to stay with your pack even with the tendency to lemming rush at intermediate tiers. With a lot of CV stacked games at T5 along with stupidly fast recycling DDs you also have to be very torp aware. The good news is you have a little AA to work with.

Learn to constantly rudder shift so you can time angling your armor between salvos. Your also going to spend a lot of time on fire and this will teach you proper damage control as well. 

It's a crappy boat, but helps you learn the basics, get some captain skills, and the New Mexico is worth the grind.

[BERYL]
Members
13 posts
2,119 battles

I didn't rush up the tiers and my NY is maxed out with upgrades and modules. As I think I mentioned, I regret not using the turret traverse speed boost instead of whatever I have there in the upgrade. But, thank you for the advice. I do tend to play on the fringes and go rogue. So, your advice seems reasonable and sage.

Members
1,918 posts
8,261 battles

I think the bigger problem with NY is the problem with all tier 5 ships, they very often get dragged up to tier 7.