You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cthuhulu

Buff spotter plane reload times?

24 comments in this topic

[USMC-]
Members
152 posts
5,524 battles

Has there been any kind of discussion regarding the shortening of the reload time for spotter planes? Right now I average of using this consumable twice a game unless I potato. I would even take a reduction in action time if it meant I could use this four times a game to get at vessels behind islands. And I do use the upgraded version for certain ships but reload times are still keep me from using this more than twice a game.

• Cool 2

Members
706 posts
12,970 battles

This would be another nerf to DDs being spotted and (more to the point) their torpedoes. Just what DDs need when dealing with cruisers and BBs.

[USMC-]
Members
152 posts
5,524 battles
8 minutes ago, Prothall said:

This would be another nerf to DDs being spotted and (more to the point) their torpedoes. Just what DDs need when dealing with cruisers and BBs.

With shorter action times? If I am going to use planes for anti-dd then I would use fighters as they have a longer action time and I believe shorter downtime between charges.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,188 posts
15,384 battles

I have always found the spotter plane consumable to be weird and not because its hard to hit ships from that camera angle, which it totally is. 

But if you run the numbers of a Spotter plane which is active for 100 seconds and has a cool down of 360 seconds. The Cycle time for each charge is 460 seconds or 7.6 minutes. But you have 5 charges of the standard variant which means to use all 5 of the consumables would take over 38 minutes. Matches are only 20 minutes in length.

It doesn't get better if you switch to the premium consumable either. The premium version has a faster cool down of 240 seconds but you get an extra charge. So 100 second active time + 240 seconds of cool down times 6 charges gives you 2,040 seconds needed to burn through the whole consumable. That's 34 minutes to use all 6 charges of the premium spotter plane consumable. 

Matches Are Only Twenty Minutes. 

I would also point out that if you are using the premium version you're paying for a consumable that you have no way of completely using all of it. So its a waste of either currency [gold or silver] to be using. 

• Cool 6

[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,282 battles

I am in favor of shorter cool down times for spotters. Adjust the cool down times to allow maximum use. I'm even willing to see a CO skill for that.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
15 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I have always found the spotter plane consumable to be weird and not because its hard to hit ships from that camera angle, which it totally is. 

But if you run the numbers of a Spotter plane which is active for 100 seconds and has a cool down of 360 seconds. The Cycle time for each charge is 460 seconds or 7.6 minutes. But you have 5 charges of the standard variant which means to use all 5 of the consumables would take over 38 minutes. Matches are only 20 minutes in length.

It doesn't get better if you switch to the premium consumable either. The premium version has a faster cool down of 240 seconds but you get an extra charge. So 100 second active time + 240 seconds of cool down times 6 charges gives you 2,040 seconds needed to burn through the whole consumable. That's 34 minutes to use all 6 charges of the premium spotter plane consumable. 

Matches Are Only Twenty Minutes. 

I would also point out that if you are using the premium version you're paying for a consumable that you have no way of completely using all of it. So its a waste of either currency [gold or silver] to be using. 

If your planes are shot down immediately with the premium 240 second reload, it would take 20 minutes to use 5 spotter planes. The mean average number of premium spotter charges is 4.47, so on average, you can use all in a battle if they are shot down quick enough. If your planes are up the full time on each charge, you can use 3.53 premium spotter planes in a battle, so for the average ships, the 4.47 average means you can have a plane shot down and still use them.

Most ships have 4 premium spotter planes, so the extra is in case a few get shot down.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Spotting_Aircraft

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
257 posts
9,498 battles

I have also noted that spotter planes seem to get shot down SUPER easily sometimes at random, I have had my spotter shot down by ships that aren't even in AA range before.  Think this needs to be looked at as well.

[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,282 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Most ships have 4 premium spotter planes, so the extra is in case a few get shot down.

Considering how few CV's show up nowadays, I'd rather have lower cool down times

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,082 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

How often do spotter planes even become a factor in spotting DDs? This is not the reason to be against shortening the cooldown.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Considering how few CV's show up nowadays, I'd rather have lower cool down times

I'm betting it won't happen for balance reasons. The spotter gives +20% range for that 100 seconds, so I doubt WG will change it.

1 hour ago, Prothall said:

1 minute ago, LubzinNJ said:

How often do spotter planes even become a factor in spotting DDs? This is not the reason to be against shortening the cooldown.

They are up for 100 seconds (1.67 min), which is roughly one circuit around the ship, so spotter planes are not up that long. Cruiser catapult fighters are up for 6 minutes and should be more of a worry to DDs I would think. 

[HINON]
Members
10,787 posts
5 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Mmm spotter des Moines for maximum teampley. 

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,082 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Mmm spotter des Moines for maximum teampley. 

That doesn't address anything I said in my post

• Cool 1

Members
1,455 posts
8,384 battles

i like how you get something like 9? spotter planes as the yammy even tho at best you get to use something like 3 in a match because the cool downs between each use are huge compared to say fighters. 

[HINON]
Members
10,787 posts
6 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

That doesn't address anything I said in my post

You can use the spotter to detect dds thanks to the long range at which they fly from the ship as well as torps.

[ADOPT]
Members
315 posts
4,055 battles

What would be awesome is if it is a toggle, call spotter up, bring it back down when no longer needed, etc.

[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,282 battles
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

You can use the spotter to detect dds thanks to the long range at which they fly from the ship as well as torps.

They only orbit within 4.25 km of the ship.

[HINON]
Members
10,787 posts
11 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

They only orbit within 4.25 km of the ship.

Which is not bad as its further from the ship than the fighter and with 2 of them it can make for fun shenanigans. With a quicker cooldown it could allow for additional opportunities. 

[USMC-]
Members
152 posts
5,524 battles

Having quicker cool downs would be a good counter to the ships hiding behind islands and lobbing shells.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
9 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

Having quicker cool downs would be a good counter to the ships hiding behind islands and lobbing shells.

Of course it would make hiding behind islands and shooting easier too.

[USMC-]
Members
152 posts
5,524 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Of course it would make hiding behind islands and shooting easier too.

So do you think it would promote or help deter the camping meta?

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
7 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

So do you think it would promote or help deter the camping meta?

I think it could be a wash. It helps both sides.

I think that the cool down being lowered would disrupt balance of long range shooting, islands or not.

[SOV]
Members
2,859 posts
2 hours ago, Prothall said:

Sorry but I am so sick and tired of dd whining about everything. They all ready have the most powerful weapon in the game. They have 2 min smoke they sit in and burn everything down. They can shot airplanes at will from smoke and know one can see them.

I sick of dd players whining and whining. Stop playing dd or adapt. 

Frankly its nice to not have dd so stupidly OP for a change.